We're not dead yet.

magicsofa said:

I highly recommend you read far enough to see the article quote:

"...refresh the parts other beers cannot reach..."

Saboteurs drink Heineken?

fraggle said:

Some guy who's all "DURRR"

Lollerskates.

But I'm still unsure as to what exactly we're supposed to discover from this thing. If we discover workable fusion power or practical space travel that would be awesome. Otherwise I'm not sure how advantageous this all could be.

Danarchy said:

But I'm still unsure as to what exactly we're supposed to discover from this thing. If we discover workable fusion power or practical space travel that would be awesome. Otherwise I'm not sure how advantageous this all could be.

There aren't likely to be any immediate advances as a result of this, but to dismiss it as pointless because of this is to ignore how important scientific discoveries have proven in history. For example, Benjamin Franklin almost bankrupted himself through his research into electricity; now look at the importance of electricity in modern society. If his research had been funded by the government instead, wouldn't that have been a worthwhile investment?

The simple fact is that we cannot foresee the effects that future scientific discoveries will ultimately have. Like you suggest, practical fusion power or space travel are two good examples, but anything is possible, really.

And we'll get yet more proof that god is a lie and the universe didn't just appear out of his arse one day.

The idea that the LHC represents any kind of significant safety threat is a load of bollocks cooked up by (pseudo)scientifically illiterate paranoiacs and the LHC is not as wonderious as you might think since all it's going to do is capture two particle beams that commonly passes through the earth every day/night/twilight/dawn and collide them together to get information from them and nothing will happen.

DooMAD said:

And we'll get yet more proof that god is a lie and the universe didn't just appear out of his arse one day.

Somehow they are still going to bring us evolutionists (or should I saw Darwinists) into the controversy.

fraggle said:

For example, Benjamin Franklin almost bankrupted himself through his research into electricity; now look at the importance of electricity in modern society.

And you just know someone at the time said something like, "What are we going to do with this, make lightning cannons or something?"

DooMAD said:

One day? I thought it took a whole six days with the seventh being the day off.

We don't have time to worry about the existance of The One God right now. We have to prepare for the Demon's attack from the planet Nibiru once the slipgate opens and the hellspawn pour though. I knew adopting Doom as a hobby would pay off some day!

*Loads SSG* >=)

Crap. World didn't end.

That means I WILL HAVE TO PAY that dammed credit card bill.

I will never believe things I read on the internets.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Great. However, we should still shelter in our basements in preparation for Y2K.

I'll get the tinfoil hats!

@Alboroto: Dont worry, there's still 2012 ;)

People who don't understand physics don't understand this experiment, and they dismiss it off as a waste of time. Whats so unimportant about the entire universe as we know it, and how it came to be, what its made of (in quantum mechanics that is)? Among other things, this project was made to study the superstring theory, origins of the universe, dark energy/dark matter, supersymmetry, various other quantum phenomena etc.

fraggle said:

There aren't likely to be any immediate advances as a result of this, but to dismiss it as pointless because of this is to ignore how important scientific discoveries have proven in history. For example, Benjamin Franklin almost bankrupted himself through his research into electricity; now look at the importance of electricity in modern society. If his research had been funded by the government instead, wouldn't that have been a worthwhile investment?

The simple fact is that we cannot foresee the effects that future scientific discoveries will ultimately have. Like you suggest, practical fusion power or space travel are two good examples, but anything is possible, really.

and quoted for truth

I bet one invention that will come out of this will be a supercolliding superbutton. Also, I keep reading it as "large hardon collider" Heh-heh-heh.

Maybe next time the Earth will be condensed into the size of a pea.

It'll be a quiet lonely universe without us assholes.

GreyGhost said:

They're huge! I do need a gun... I need a big gun... I need a really big gun.

Nah, a chainsaw or two should be enough to keep them in pain constantly. ;-)