Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Chex Quest 3... Good or bad?

So finally, the "real" Chex Quest 3 has been made and released. And by one of the original Digital Café employes no less. What did you people think of it? I thought it was wicked how he alone decided to give Chex Quest the long-awaited sequel it deserved (maybe a fourth one to replace Thy Flesh Consumed wll come). For all who are unware of it (or were too young at the time), there was a "third chapter" made years ago by fans, but it contained new levels and graphics that were pretty much stolen from all over the place, so it is not considered a part of the Chex Quest series by most people. They even claimed it was a "beta" to cover their as*peeeep*

EDIT: for those who have no idea what Chex Quest is:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Chex_Quest

Internet, yes! I wasn't sure if i was allowed to use the word 'ass' on a forum. I also thought it'd be funny to type it like that.

I wrote a post that was meant to demonstrate the freedom with which one can write four-letter words on this forum, but when reading it back it sounded too aggressive. It's a fucking shame.

CeeJay said:

Internet, yes! I wasn't sure if i was allowed to use the word 'ass' on a forum. I also thought it'd be funny to type it like that.

Don't worry, your mom probably won't read it.

Naan said:

Good or bad, I don't know, but I find it to be very, very easy.

You know, Chex Quest was designed to be playable by children...

kristus said:

Don't worry, your mom probably won't read it.

Just what the hell is your problem? Stop being such a rude idiot. If you got nothing nice to say (type), then don't say nothin' att all.

I thought Chex3 was pretty good. I thought it was very in keeping with the original and I thought the additional artwork was good too.

The major problem with it is a technical one. Because of the way they used to make it a stand alone game, they broke some of the golden rules for Zdoom modding: primarily editing actors in zdoom.pk3. This makes it difficult to play it with any version other than the exe it ships with. It also means that adding native support for Chex to Zdoom is more difficult. The irony there being that Zdoom has only very recently got native support for the original game. As far as I can tell, everything they did could have been done using legitimate means - ie putting their changes in the main game WAD rather than in zdoom.pk3 - and thereby made the project far more flexible for editing, playing with GZdoom/Skulltag/newer Zdooms and adding proper Chex support to Zdoom.

That is an issue that seems to be worked on by fans in the Chex Quest forums. He released the source code for it. Like the author has mentioned, he is not experienced in the editing of modern Doom engines. I found it to contain quite a few technical glitches, flaws and bugs myself, such as the Flemoidus Maximus' frames being reversed (so when he's walking to the left, his sprites are facing right). You can read all about it in the Chex Quest forums (link is on the Doomworld news section). Other that, i also enjoyed it and thought it stayed very true to the original.

I was interested that an old bug from the originals wasn't fixed either: the rocket sprite is reversed when you see the side-on views.

Also, I noticed that, although the blood has been recoloured green, the blood actor property has been left as the default red. So, if you use particles for any of the blood modes, the particles are red.

I already offered to clean it up and the author accepted. So I'll see that it no longer requires a custom EXE by putting most of the altered content into the main IWAD and making proper definitions for the monsters.

Graf Zahl said:

I already offered to clean it up and the author accepted. So I'll see that it no longer requires a custom EXE by putting most of the altered content into the main IWAD and making proper definitions for the monsters.

Please see to it to fix the rocket and the Maximus frames, keep a todo list if you do not already have one. Also the "READ THIS!" text in the menu doesn't seem to match the other menu texts (atleast not om my screen). I could come up with a lot more when i get back home and play it. The original Chex Quest had quite a few bugs itself, so it would make sence if all those were finally fixed. The creators of the original Chex Quest apparently didn't have much time, so that explains why there were only five levels and lots of bugs. I could help out, if you feel you do not have much time. I would really like to see this as bug-free as possible.