Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone

My first official level (WIP)

Ok this is the first level of my first wad (which i changed my mind and will probably be like 10 levels so if anyone wants to help make levels let me know :) )
But if this is at least an ok level for a beginner (remember first map) Than ill continue making my mod :D It has difficulty levels too :D
well here it is enjoy :D http://www.box.net/shared/7y1nfto2gj
PS it runs with H2H textures which i will credit when the wad comes out (if it does) but i dont know how i can now lol and also it runs in doom2 and preferrably zdoom oh and its zdoom (hexen in doom format i think)
And leave feedback :) good or bad :)
Thank you
and if i did ANYTHING wrong let me know lol

People have been at me that posting screenshots helps. Didn't do much diffrence for me though. But i personally really don't care if there's screenshots or not. It seems that many people within the Doom community are so lazy and unmotivated these days, that they need screenshots of the level in question to either motivate them into playing the level and give feedback or rudly thrash it without even having to have played it in the first place.

I'll download it when i'm back home. I like playing Doom levels to this very day, regardless of who has made it. However, i will give my honest opinion about it.

It looks pretty interesting. The checkered textures get on one's nerves after a while though. The door tracks all have the same problem mine did before it was pointed out to me, that they move with the door. Unpegging the lower textures on the sidedef should take care of it. Also, the door to the "library" has a slime trail because of missing textures on its sides. The nazis seem out of place on an otherwise demon-infested level and the nuts-like room full of them is quite unnecessary in my opinion. The library and the tunnels behind it can be very aggravating, couldn't you make them a bit wider? But otherwise, this level is fun if a bit easy (I breezed through it in UV and I'm not exactly a skilled player, I hope it will get harder later on).

It wasn't really necessary to include the ENTIRE Xmas mod.

Alright, Ill go easy, since this is your first map:

1. Unnecessary Bigness: Unless there is a point to having 1000 extra units of space, I would recommend not having it. (i.e. the starting room)

2. Leaking: In the first room, the light effects, while thoughtful, have a bleeding effect. Not too big of a deal, it wasn't too major. But I noticed it in some other areas, most importantly the door from the bedroom to the hallway. I can actually see into the other room. I think its just untextured, or something.

3. Odd Texture Use: The outdoor tables were textured with SKY1 on the sides and REDWALL on the top. The solid balcony railings were textured with a grating texture, which never ends well. Just texture them with GRAY or WOOD or something, not a translucent texture :P

4. Monster Placement: Ok, the only time Nazis are tolerable in a level is if they arn't there, or if they have sprite replacements for something more fitting with the theme. The 700+ Nazis outside are extremely unnecessary, because they aren't a real threat, and they kill each other in less than a minute anyway. And they just don't fit with the feel of the level. (or maybe they do :P )

Here are some other things that I noticed:
There is a ceiling that changes from wood to sky with no height transition.

The first switch, as far as I have tried, is useless. Its just there to tease you, I guess.

ASHWALL is never fun, unless used in an ashy area. I don't see why there is a room next to the library thats made of ash, unless it burned down or something.

What is up with the dead marine and shotgun guy, with a nazi standing on top of him?

Other than that, not too bad for a beginner level. Im not trying to be a jerk by telling you all the things wrong with your map, Im just trying to help. It was the way I learned basic mapping etiquette.

Yah np thanks.
yah the first switch turns the light on. If you open the door it will be pitch black and then the switch will set it to brightest. Thanks for the advice ill use it for my next map :D.
Yah the 700+ nazi's were supposed to be for my theme lol.
Yah the reason a lot of the things are textured with blocks is because it uses the H2H-XMAS textures.

You should let him do it himself. From my experience, every single map I've seen created by a new mapper and touched up by a more experienced mapper fails to teach anything. Chances are very likely that the newer mapper's follow-up map would be the same quality as their first map prior to the touch up because someone else did the work for them. We want Clusterone to learn how to map well, now don't we? =) Besides, while you did have some good points, many of them were opiniated, and Clusterone should develop his own style and preferences instead of following someone else's.

Yeah, I guess your right. Unnecessary bigness always gets me :P

Its just, well, thats exactly how I learned how to map. By example. But, I guess not everyones like me :)

Well, beside the stuff I already mentioned, not to many things wrong. Although more detail is always an option, thats just trivial stuff. At least your map had good gameplay.

Maybe up the difficulty a bit? And make the library area bigger?

yah the library was pretty small lol i dotn know why i did that
yah i could increase it for hard and medium just make a little harder but for easy keep it as it is :D