Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

Z-Redstar;Sneak peek

Yeah yeah,I know I'm currently working on Atherius.But when I get tired of the Tech-hell stuff I took a break to see what I could come up with for the new Redstar revamp.Note that this project will not start til I have completed Atherius.But I thought that I'd go ahead and post some screenshots.

Skybox

I intend on using ACS and Decorate to the fullest of my knowledge.I've saved countless tutorials to study and I intend on making this a damn good wad.

Looking good! I am glad to hear that you are finishing Redstar. I would agree with previous posts though, more screenshots showing off more stuff would be nice. There is nothing wrong with working on several projects at the same time, you just have to find a way balance it so one doesn't become overlooked.

I'm not meaning to come off sounding rude, but you're basically showing a corner with a transparent window and a hallway with a door and an other window. What kind of a response are you expecting? There's pretty much nothing gameplay related to comment on and visually...well, transparent windows aside it's pretty '94.

I'm pretty sure you can do much more than just corners and hallways, so why not show us more? At least then there could be something to talk about. :)

zap610 said:

Based on those shots, I see no reason to play this.

It's a work in progress! Cheesh!

CeeJay said:

It's a work in progress! Cheesh!

If it doesn't look interesting then people won't care when it's done.

zap610 said:

If it doesn't look interesting then people won't care when it's done.

O... k... How can something that has just been started on look intresting?

CeeJay said:

O... k... How can something that has just been started on look intresting?

Pretty easily...but if there's nothing interesting to show yet, it's probably not time to post about it yet.

The original poster meant to show the new texture artwork, sheesh. Couldn't you people deduce? :P

*cough* translucent window frames *cough*
You need to do better to impress people. Aside from an overused ROTT pistol, some familiar textures, there's nothing new here.

Come on guys, do you not remember your early mods and just itching to show them off? ;)

@Haloless0320
However, the comments are also pretty fair. You are just showing us the corner of a room so people aren't going to get too excited over it. You've put your pics up for comment, so listen to what people say and remember not to get too defensive provided that the comments are genuinely constructive.

You have been given some constructive criticism. The window frame being translucent should, obviously, be addressed and you do have some pretty obvious misalignments. The pistol, well, it has been seen a number of times before but I don't have a problem with it. It's pretty well in keeping with the theme of the mod.

As a general comment, I like the basic idea behind the mod. A Wolf style(ish) project that keeps the good things about Wolf but adds some (G(Z))Doom goodness could work out well. And killing Nazis never gets old. I suggest you look into games like MoHAA or CoD and, of course, RTCW for some additional stuff. If you want to stick with Wolfy-like textures, perhaps they won't be much use to you, but there is a load of stuff in those games that might be useful. Even giving more voices to your bad guys might be fun.

Personally, I think Wolf mods for Doom can be very cool if the levels are actually made like Doom levels, and convey believable settings (such as Arctic Wolf, Operation Rheingold, etc.), instead of just being effectively flat square Wolfenstein maps with some translucent windows and 3D floors added for decoration.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

There is a very fine art to making good looking non-square maps with Wolfenstein 3D textures. It is one that you simply cannot expect from someone who is not quite as skilled as the next on-par mapper yet.

Fisk said:

There is a very fine art to making good looking non-square maps with Wolfenstein 3D textures. It is one that you simply cannot expect from someone who is not quite as skilled as the next on-par mapper yet.

IIRC, the Wolfendoom episodes I mentioned didn't use any Wolf textures directly (or if they did, they were few and far between, mixed in with fitting Doom textures, modified Wolf textures, and other custom stuff), and they captured their indended themes extremely well without being square or flat.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Oh well. Operation Rheingold ftw

Fisk said:

Oh well. Operation Rheingold ftw

Lol, I remember that one. Was it meant for any specific port? I was using legacy at the time, and everything was kind of wierd. The poop sprites transformed into an explosion of some sort, then a health potion, then back to poop, within like 1 second.

Mik57 said:

Lol, I remember that one. Was it meant for any specific port? I was using legacy at the time, and everything was kind of wierd. The poop sprites transformed into an explosion of some sort, then a health potion, then back to poop, within like 1 second.

It was made for vanilla Doom, if I remember correctly. Sounds like you didn't load the dehacked patch correctly (or Legacy didn't support it correctly).

Haloless0320 said:

No Response?

First of all, I don't sit in front of the PC 24/7. (I still get tons of chores and duties to take care of, despite being single. :p)

Second of all, it's hard for me to properly judge or comment on a WAD if I'm only shown a pair of screenshots.
I need to play a beta or a prototype or something in order to formulate a great response.

I've played the first 6 levels of RedStar and, based on your past efforts over there, I'm assuming that this next set of levels will be within the same fashion and will be equally satisfying.

There's not much else that I can say at this point...
Just keep going and remember that artwork is mainly about expressing yourself rather than seeking attention.

DarkJedi188 said:

There's not much else that I can say at this point...
Just keep going and remember that artwork is mainly about expressing yourself rather than seeking attention.

Quoted for truth.

The art of taking intresting screenshots is also very important. IMO, you'd be better served to have taken a screenie that hints at the gameplay or the layout or something more intriguing. Take the first screenie for example. It's a corner (OMG!). Since you already told us in the same post that you're using a skybox, there's not much else we can glean from that screenshot. I doubt you expect everybody to come and say "Wow! what an amazing looking corner you've got there. Good job, Haloless! =D" Sorry, not to rain on your parade or anything, but just something to keep in mind for the future.

Those screenshots look like Wolfenstein really needs a porting to height variation and light diminishing among other stuff.

Anyway, they look like Doom levels made like a really 3d Wolf 3d.

That's pretty much all I've got.It's pretty much a beta,and I've only worked on it here and there since I'm also working on Atherius at the time.
I plan on replacing the weapons.I would like to design my own...so I was wonderig would everyone rather see ww2 guns from Call of duty 2 like this...

Or classic looking guns like this...

I realize the below weapon looks like crap.So if someone wants to spruce it up themselves or just give me some hint;I would be grateful.
I'm also trying to learn decorate...so there's alot of shit to read up on.

The weapon above looks far more realistic and better, but could do with some polishing up. The one below looks, to me atleast, like a bad paintbrush job.

CeeJay said:

The one below looks, to me atleast, like a bad paintbrush job.

You don't say. To me it looks much worse. :-S

It is a bad p-brush job.I was trying to see if I could make some of my own to keep the wolf3d feel but still implement the Decorate and Dehacked crap.There must be a program out there that rips sprites frame for frame.

I'm pretty sure the question is whether we'd like centered weapons or not, not which one of the two is prettier (since it's obvious!).

As for which one to choose, I think you should go with the one you prefer. There'll always be people who prefer one and some who prefer the other, that doesn't matter the slightest. What matters more is which you are happier with, damnit!