Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

High Res Hud Face and other..

I wonder if anybody make some high-resolution graphic of Doomsguy face?
I try do it myself, but i'm not graphic. I use PhotoZoom Pro 2 and I make something like this:

and some others:

I'm sorry, but this is really not the way to go about making high-res graphics. What PhotoZoom Pro appears to be doing is just scaling up the image and applying filters to it, which is rather redundant in the context of a game, because the GL ports like EDGE and GZDoom will do this automatically in the game.

WildWeasel said:

I'm sorry, but this is really not the way to go about making high-res graphics. What PhotoZoom Pro appears to be doing is just scaling up the image and applying filters to it, which is rather redundant in the context of a game, because the GL ports like EDGE and GZDoom will do this automatically in the game.

You're right.

You didn't "make high resolution" images, you scaled up and filtered. If you want REAL Hi-Resolution sprites, they have to be made from scratch.

Reinchard666 said:

Man, you don't understand. I just paste this only for example of PhotoZoom Pro... Jeez, I ask for links to high resolution hud face...

Unfortunately, I am not aware that any such exist. perhaps you could go with using a different kind of HUD face

One of the downloads on http://risen3d.newdoom.com/downloads.htm contains a high res hud face. I keep forgetting which though.

If you like putting things through filters you might want to check out hq4x, if you put its results through a grainy noise filter you get something that's (in my opinion) better than the blurry filters. The only time I like the blurry filters is for particles (to make them look like little cloud puffs instead of squares or circles), the other DOOM stuff looks better non-blurry.

I download hq4x, but I don't understand how can I use this with Doom textures/sprites. Program just open and close. This is some plugin to Kega or something... I need a dos emulator to work with this???

Cool, I'm gonna have to try that out just for the ouchface...

Heh, I remember attempting to make hi-res hudface sprites in the past.

I did the above image in vector, so you could theoretically scale it to any size you want.

Too bad my method for making these takes way too long, and a lot of squinting at low res pixels when trying to get it to look close to the original. Some of the shading and highlights are a bit off as well.

Reinchard666 said:

IMO second version looks little better.

Because hq4x only works good with Cell-Shaded(Cartoonish) images, not a very detailed paintings. That means, doom graphics won't look good.

Also, for the colors in hq4x, the hues just shifted. I don't know why could this happen.

Reinchard666 said:

So this is version from hq4x:

and this is from PhotoZOom pro:

IMO second version looks little better. And what happen with colors??

They both look horrible.

That's what they look like with their skin peeled off - oops - wrong thread. :-)

To my eye they look blurry - little's been gained by increasing the resolution.

printz said:

I like the blue baron. Really.

It's what happens after Maes has his way with the Baron...