Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
læmænt

Laptops

I, um, want to get a laptop. I was wondering - does anyone have experience of playing Doom on one? Particularily, the difficulties that might arise with the stupid little devices laptops use instead of a mouse. Is it even possible to use them for dooming? Among the three choices - trackball, touchpad and that retarded thingie sticking out between the keys on the keyboard - trackball seems to be the most sane and usable; but it seems like modern laptops don't come with them anymore (or am I mistaken?)

Damn, this whole laptop situation is a bit confusing. All laptops come with Windows XP - not the best investment of my money, since the first thing I'll do will be deleting it - and no manufacturers sell laptops without an OS. Fuck. I know IBM sells thinkpads with linux, but I don't think I can get them here. Not that I want their linux anyway.

I first played Doom on a laptop at my aunt's place around the time it was first released. I didn't have a problem playing it, but the screen was annoying, had that "bright spot" at the center that would move around when you moved your head, etc. but for the most part it was ok. Dunno what different the trackballs and stuff'll make, I guess you'll just have to play it the right way :)

Just plug in a mouse... :P

Yes.

And:

1) DOOM should be played with the keyboard and the keyboard alone, regardless.

2) Laptop "mice" suck, and you should always use an external mouse instead, regardless.

1. Don't buy laptops

Well, if you can afford a decent laptop in addition to a decent desktop PC, it can surely come handy, even though it will never be as good for true gaming experience.

2. Use WindowsXP

Yes, but only in addition to Windows 98.

No reason to keep W98 if you have XP. Sure, some DOS stuff won't work anymore or it will behave a bit strange. But fuck, you use a source port anyway.

No reason to keep W98 if you have XP. Sure, some DOS stuff won't work anymore or it will behave a bit strange. But fuck, you use a source port anyway.

Dos works. Just have an old Win98 boot disk and boot to dos with CDROM support :D

Wow I never knew people here were anti Mouse when it comes to doom

I used to be a keyboard player until half - life and so on
when i went back to play doom it felt weird without a mouse

i used to be keyboarder/autoaimer until Dest-X got me addicted to TF.

THANKS DEST!

wow. I usualy end my sentences saying "FUCK YOU DEST"...

No, sorry, I will not disgrace myself by becoming a lowly keyboarder.

DAMN YOU INFIDEL!! :P

Yeah, I play DOOM on a laptop. Let me just say that the trackball, the one I had, is shit ... it broke about two months after light use. Just plug in an external mouse.

Make sure you get TFT display, LCD is crap unless you get used to it, which is possible.

1) DOOM should be played with the keyboard and the keyboard alone, regardless.

what? Can you imagine if a keyboard was released as a game controller? People would die from laughing..

A simple controller, like an old Gamepad pro, is just right for Doom IMO

i used to be keyboarder/autoaimer until Dest-X got me addicted to TF.

THANKS DEST!

wow. I usualy end my sentences saying "FUCK YOU DEST"...

I was being SARCASTIC$%^#&^&@%^@

No, he's like the Charlie of all this swede ninja chicks who busted Fredrik's comp.

heh. Are you sure he's not more like a "tony" type?

1. Don't buy laptops

Why? They're cool. It's not like playing Doom is the only thing i'm buying it for.

2. Use WindowsXP

Uhh, I will not, but thanks for your advice. :)

Why should I get WinXP? I don't see anything wrong with Win98se. It loads in 30 seconds, it never crashes, its as customizeable as I care it to be, and it runs most of my programs on it. I fail to see the need to upgrade.