Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mik57

How do I put new enemies in my WAD?

I know its a really noob question, but I was wondering how I could put a new enemy in my WAD. I downloaded the terminator from the doom beastiary, and I want to use him.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

You need a helmet, eye protection and a permission slip.

You also need The ZDoom Wiki if it's for well, ZDoom. Otherwise, you need to learn DeHackEd.

Fisk said:
You need a helmet, eye protection and a permission slip.

Wtf?
Look, Im just good at mapping, nothing else. Im sorry I apparently wasted your time.

Luckily, the monsters found in the Realm667 Beastiary are preassembled pwads,
so that adding them to your pwad becomes a fairly simple matter of merging
them into your pwad.

This merging is best done with either SlumpED or Deepsea. Using either utility
for this purpose for the first time will take about 30 minutes. Subsequent
merge operations will take less.

Mastery of the steps required will reduce merging two pwads to mere seconds.

Personally, I prefer Deepsea for this operation. If you need/want some help with this, then read this tutorial .

Kappes Buur said:

Luckily, the monsters found in the Realm667 Beastiary are preassembled pwads,
so that adding them to your pwad becomes a fairly simple matter of merging
them into your pwad.

This merging is best done with either SlumpED or Deepsea. Using either utility
for this purpose for the first time will take about 30 minutes. Subsequent
merge operations will take less.

Mastery of the steps required will reduce merging two pwads to mere seconds.

Personally, I prefer Deepsea for this operation. If you need/want some help with this, then read this tutorial .

I don't know why, but using that method, I could only use one different monster.

eg:) I merge the bat.wad with map01.wad. Then I merge wraith.wad with map01.wad. The information for the bat is still in the .wad, but only the wraith will appear in the wad. The bat will be replaced by a 'yield' sign (yellow diamond with a exclamation mark).

That's because the first merge creates the DECORATE lump, but the second overwrites it. I found the only way to do it so that both sprites appear is to open both wads with WINTEX, extract the DECORATE lump, open both with notepad, copy the contents of one into the other, save, plant the new DECORATE lump into your mod, close and re-open WINTEX, delete the old DECORATE lump, save again, and play.

Slightly convoluted, but it works

suicidal pencil said:

I don't know why, but using that method, I could only use one different monster.

Ah, thank you for pointing that out.

The solution is very simple.
After pressing F7, on the menu which comes up click, on the top left, the little check box "Allow duplicates".

@Suicidal Pencil:Are you using SlumpED or Deepsea?(Gag)
Just wondering cause I don't wanna end up running into the same problem and not know what to do.

Haloless0320 said:

@Suicidal Pencil:Are you using SlumpED or Deepsea?(Gag)
Just wondering cause I don't wanna end up running into the same problem and not know what to do.

Neither. I use Wintex along with Doom Builder.

Sooo... I use doombuilder and downloaded hectebus.wad. Do I have to f around with wintex or can I just 'merge' it in or whatever with doombuilder only?

Nobody has made some sort of 'doom2 monster creator' software? That's surprising. I'd imagine it to be where you can view/edit/draw the 8 frames and death frames etc and give it behavior like fire rate, speed, etc all in a simple user interface instead of hacky code.

no its not hard at all, look at this :

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_monsters_or_other_complex_items

on that page is an example of how to add a monster using the decorate lump, i would download xwe and try to use that, its as simple as pulling the graphics out of the wad and putting them in your map wad using xwe. once this is done just use decorate to set up all the frames.

Upon farther inspection, guess what you dont even have to do that, just open the monster wad in xwe, copy all the content, and paste it in your map's wad.

xwe : http://www.doomworld.com/xwe/

Ok, I opened hectebus.wad in xwe and I saw a bunch of code (is this c++ by the way or just some weird scripting stuff?):

ACTOR Hectebus 22250
{
SpawnID 253
Health 1500
Radius 48
Height 64
Scale 1.25
Speed 12
PainChance 200
BloodColor "73 00 00"
Mass 500
SeeSound "hectebus/sight"
PainSound "hectebus/pain"
DeathSound "hectebus/death"
ActiveSound "demon/active"
MONSTER
+FLOORCLIP
Obituary "%o was cremated by a Hectebus."

States
{
Spawn:
HECT AB 10 A_Look
Loop
See:
HECT ABCDEF 6 A_Chase
Loop
Missile:
HECT G 0 A_PlaySound("hectebus/attack")
HECT G 6 A_FaceTarget
HECT H 0 A_CustomMissile("Hecteball",20,20,-5)
HECT H 6 A_CustomMissile("Hecteball",20,-40,5)
HECT I 6 A_FaceTarget
HECT G 6 A_FaceTarget
HECT H 0 A_CustomMissile("Hecteball",20,20,-10)
HECT H 6 A_CustomMissile("Hecteball",20,-40,10)
HECT I 6 A_FaceTarget
HECT G 6 A_FaceTarget
HECT H 0 A_CustomMissile("Hecteball",20,20,5)
HECT H 6 A_CustomMissile("Hecteball",20,-40,-5)
HECT I 6 A_FaceTarget
Goto See
Pain:
HECT J 8 A_Pain
Goto See
Death:
HECT K 0 A_Die
HECT K 6 A_Scream
HECT L 6
HECT M 6
HECT N 6 A_Fall
HECT O 6
HECT P 6
HECT Q 6
HECT R 6
HECT S 6
HECT T -1
Stop
}
}

ACTOR Hecteball //Hectebus Fireball
{
Radius 10
Height 8
Speed 20
Damage 16
PROJECTILE
RENDERSTYLE ADD
ALPHA 0.97
SeeSound "imp/attack"
DeathSound "imp/shotx"
States
{
Spawn:
HECF AB 4 Bright
Loop
Death:
HECF CDE 4 Bright
Stop
}
}

I copied the code, then opened a simple wad I just made called 'newmonsters.wad' in xwe. But now I don't see where to paste this stuff I just copied. (or do I paste it in doombuilder instead of xwe?)

edit: oh wait, you mean copy the ACTUAL files of the hectebus wad and paste the files into my wad? (I was copying the code text itself). Well, copy/pasting the files worked. Now I can do this for as many monsters as I want?

edit: now I tried opening my edited wad in doombuilder and do see hectebus in the 'decorate' area. I can add hectebuses to the map but when I test the map it says 'unknown thing type'. (are beastiary monsters for zdoom only by the way?, I'm using prboom)

Okay, seems like you didn't get the point. I'll explain you.

DECORATE is a lump exclusively created for Zdoom. It doesn't work with other source ports. So, in order to make DECORATE monsters work, you either have to use ZDoom or GZDoom. If you want to make them compatible for other source ports, you have to operate a DEHACKED conversion, but since most of the monsters use advanced custom states, i don't think that much can be done using Dehacked.
Oh, and BTW, that isn't c++, but a simple logic code... ;)

And every Beastiary monster you use is exclusively coded for ZDoom/GZDoom. PRBoom doesn't support DECORATE, nor every other ZDoom-specific lump, such as MAPINFO, DECALDEF, SNDINFO, SNDSEQ, and so on...

Computers hate me. This time I made a new doombuilder map01 (zdoom doom in doom format) called newmonsterszdoom.wad. And despite being zdoom the same thing happened (I copy/pasted the files from hectebus.wad into newmonsterszdoom.wad using xwe. Then I opened newmonsterszdoom.wad with doombuilder, added a hectebus from decorate in thing mode. When I test the map though there are no hectebuses.) Also when I hover the mouse over a hectebus thing it says 'unknown' and 'width, height, hang, blocking' all have a value of '?'. Thanks for the help.

I know, that many people have been indoctrinated, through derogatary remarks, to believe
that Deepsea is not very good.

I bet, those people have not even tried to give Deepsea a decent test. The fact is, that
Deepsea so far is the most useful program in dealing with lumps of any kind. Just try my
tutorial (see link above) and you will see for yourself, that Deepsea is not bad at all.
Granted, it takes some getting used to, but heh, what program does not.

Given the animosity fostered by some towards Deepsea, I hope that this will not erupt into a flame war.

Kappes Buur said:

I know, that many people have been indoctrinated, through derogatary remarks, to believe
that Deepsea is not very good.

its not that its not very good, its just not very free and user friendly as such other programs *cough* Doombuilder *cough*

Kappes Buur said:

Granted, it takes some getting used to, but heh, what program does not.

A program that doesn't have a poorly-designed interface?

Well if its user friendly why don't I see hectebuses when I test my map. Oh, its user friendly, just not retard friendly.

gggmork said:

Also when I hover the mouse over a hectebus thing it says 'unknown'

Does it say "Unknown (22250)"? If not - change it's thing number to 22250.

Hell yeah, I figured it out (yeah it says 22250). My problem was even though it was a zdoom format map I still had to change my doombuilder testing engine from prboom to zdoom, duh.. Awesome, now I can use beastiary monsters (zdoom only but all well).