Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

Thirty Two Inch Nails megawad

exp(x) said:

limit removing :(

What's wrong with limit removing? A limited number of on-screen sprites or linedefs is kind of silly. It's nice when a wad can run in vanilla/chocolate, but I don't see why anybody would limit their level design because of it.

I'll use PrBoom to play it.

Heh. I bet they're all slaughter maps. They look cool, though. I'll have to hunt them down and give them a go.

[Edit]Hey, I just noticed that the numbers on the status bar are squarish to match the theme of the WAD. Cool![/Edit]

Mike.Reiner said:

What's wrong with limit removing? A limited number of on-screen sprites or linedefs is kind of silly. It's nice when a wad can run in vanilla/chocolate, but I don't see why anybody would limit their level design because of it.

Not being able to use chocolate doom makes me sad. Besides, I'm not a big fan of prboom. I suppose I can use odamex.

exp(x) said:

Not being able to use chocolate doom makes me sad.

So just that you can play in the most limited port available should mean that mappers should restrict themselves to 15 year old limits? Yes, makes perfect sense...

Death-Destiny said:

Heh. I bet they're all slaughter maps.[/Edit]

No. The most of maps are very scary. At least it was so for me. I dropped my mouse few times. In some places it happened even when I played it the second time. I am impressed how Eternal could create an atmosphere only with IWAD textures, midi and teleporting monsters. One map is slaughter and one map with Boss (I did few dehacked things for this wad).

exp(x) said:

Not being able to use chocolate doom makes me sad. Besides, I'm not a big fan of prboom. I suppose I can use odamex.

Yes, you can't. But you can use doom2-plus for all maps except map05 (hell theme, very hard and very big)

TheMionicDonut said:

Is there a link to this file somewhere?

It is already in NEWSTUFF! Do not know when it will be available from http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/

Graf Zahl said:
So just that you can play in the most limited port available should mean that mappers should restrict themselves to 15 year old limits?

Since when does someone's opinion or expression on what they prefer restrict anybody? Unless things have changed and exp(x) is now in charge of /idgames and has been deleting all non-vanilla WADs...

exp(x) said:

There's also Strawberry Doom. It's the same as Doom-plus, more or less, but based on Chocolate Doom. It would run anything on this WAD except level 5, that is.

Upon seeing the title I expected a 32-level megawad made by entryway himself, named so because each song was replaced by a Nine Inch Nails track from NINDOOM.ZIP. :)

But this looks interesting regardless. I hope it's free of ZDoomisms or Boomisms so I can play it with Doom Plus. A 32-unit grid snap sounds like some nicely open levels. I'm kinda worried for the doors, which would become blocky, however.

printz said:

Upon seeing the title I expected a 32-level megawad made by entryway himself, named so because each song was replaced by a Nine Inch Nails track from NINDOOM.ZIP. :)

But this looks interesting regardless. I hope it's free of ZDoomisms or Boomisms so I can play it with Doom Plus. A 32-unit grid snap sounds like some nicely open levels. I'm kinda worried for the doors, which would become blocky, however.

Entryway has stated that map05 will not work on Doom-Plus.

printz said:

so I can play it with Doom Plus

Before applying in-wad deh you should delete high quality sound replacement.

Text 6 6
pdiehipdieh_

Text 6 6
pistolpisto_

Text 6 6
plasmaplasm_

Text 6 6
rlauncrlaun_

Text 6 6
shotgnshotg_

Text 5 5
ssdthssdt_

Text 5 5
sssitsssi_

printz said:

A 32-unit grid snap sounds like some nicely open levels. I'm kinda worried for the doors, which would become blocky, however.

Do not worry and be happy. If I had not said that it is made in a grid 32 you would not notice that

Mike.Reiner said:

Entryway has stated that map05 will not work on Doom-Plus.

Even jDoom (stable 1.8.6) can handle it - glsegs overflow. Vavoom is extremaly slow (8 fps on my core2dua instead of 150 in glboom+)

EDIT1:

link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15454

EDIT2:

Mike.Reiner said:

I'll use PrBoom to play it.

PrBoom has problems with big open areas (HOM). Also it 1.5x slower on big levels and it loads savegames slooowly in opengl (rebuilds all the GL data). You should use PrBoom-Plus 2.4.8.4. or (G)ZDoom

Deeforce said:

I'm playing on "Hurt Me Plenty". Well done!

Come to the dark side, little kid! You will be torn to shreds on map05. You must train more before playing great wads. And you must finish all the levels before an estimation on Archive if you wish to be objective. Eternal spent about 400 hours with that, but you estimated it after one hour and 2/7 maps. You should respect another's work more. Thanks.

entryway said:

PrBoom has problems with big open areas (HOM). Also it 1.5x slower on big levels and it loads savegames slooowly in opengl (rebuilds all the GL data). You should use PrBoom-Plus 2.4.8.4. or (G)ZDoom

Er.. when I said PrBoom, I was referring more specifically to PrBoom-Plus.

PrBoom-Plus is more or less my favorite source port at this point.

Though there are a few things about it that bug me.. I think I'll type it up and post it in the issues thread in the source ports section.

I have a question for skilled programmers of doom ports, maybe for Graf Zahl. What the hell occurs on map07 at the end?

Delete from in-wad deh the following lines (or disable deh completely) and try it in doom2+ or prboom+:

Frame 783
Duration = 20
Next frame = 783

Pointer 429 (Frame 783)
Codep Frame = 787
These lines are especially for zdoom. Without these lines the level will work in the same way in compatible ports.

A_BrainDie function is not executed after Romero's head is squished by crusher and you will see infinite explosions of Brain. But if you change positions of crusher's vertexes (make that sector more big), then Romero will die properly and level will ended in map30 way.

myk said:

There's also Strawberry Doom. It's the same as Doom-plus, more or less, but based on Chocolate Doom. It would run anything on this WAD except level 5, that is.

That's funny, last night I thought to myself that there should be a Chocolate Doom version that removed the limits and that port should be named Strawberry Doom... :p And now I find out that there is one. That great. :D

EDIT: why is the pistol made to sound like the shotgun?

@entryway:

“you must finish all the levels before an estimation on Archive“

The estimation on the Archive is no sainthood. I even think it is pretty pointless. Just look at Neo Doom, one of the best wads ever made (even with own music from Daniel), but it only has a 3,5 star rating. So, why do you care?

“You should respect another's work more“

You can only respect another’s work by playing it and this is what I told you I’m doing. For me the effort is not that much unimportant to know, but you have to understand that most people will only look at the result. So, 400 hours are hard work, but do you think that anybody cares? lol

Deeforce said:

I even think it is pretty pointless.

I *know* it is important for Eternal, because it shows an average rating of players as against newstuff review by one reviewer here. Do you believe me?

Deeforce said:

So, why do you care?

So, why did you care about that and (prematurely) estimated it there?

Deeforce said:

but do you think that anybody cares? lol

It's easy to fuck up anything with such point of view.

Did you try to map for three hours every day during two years and to receive an estimation for your next hard work after 2/7 levels or after iddqd+idfa+idclip "flying around" mode, because of "who cares lol"?

entryway said:

So, why did you care about that and (prematurely) estimated it there?

I like to rate, even if it’s pretty pointless, but I also think that the author will read each estimation and because I played 2 levels of the wad (and I will play more when I have time) I thought I could rate.

entryway said:

to receive an estimation for your next hard work after 2/7 levels

This is not a review or something. This is just the doomworld estimation. I think you don’t understand me: this “thing“ really is NOT expressive. I may rate later again when I have finished the wad. I don’t think that the author should be extremly looking to these estimations, because they are not important. There will be people who love it and people who hate it. But this the author knows excactly before he releases his wads. So, why do you make such a big deal out of it?

entryway said:

Did you try to map for three hours every day during two years and to receive an [incomplete] estimation

At first I bothered with the estimations, but then I realized, that I didn’t map because of them. I map because I want to create something and I know that there are people who will like my maps, even if they are the minority :-P.

Graf Zahl said:

So just that you can play in the most limited port available should mean that mappers should restrict themselves to 15 year old limits? Yes, makes perfect sense...

When the hell did I suggest that mappers should only make vanilla-compatible wads? I just stated my preference and nothing more. I know I'm in the minority; I'm not asking anyone to cater to me.

entryway said:

I have a question for skilled programmers of doom ports, maybe for Graf Zahl. What the hell occurs on map07 at the end?

Delete from in-wad deh the following lines (or disable deh completely) and try it in doom2+ or prboom+:

Frame 783
Duration = 20
Next frame = 783

Pointer 429 (Frame 783)
Codep Frame = 787
These lines are especially for zdoom. Without these lines the level will work in the same way in compatible ports.

A_BrainDie function is not executed after Romero's head is squished by crusher and you will see infinite explosions of Brain. But if you change positions of crusher's vertexes (make that sector more big), then Romero will die properly and level will ended in map30 way.

It sounds like the problem I had with KDiKDiZD, where barrels would sometimes get gibbed underneath crushers, causing them to not explode.