Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nemark

Anyone ever thought of vectorizing the Doom comic?

I was just thinking if anyone ever tried or even mentioned making vector images of the Doom comic? This could make clear, hi-res images of it as well as make it printable. I could do some work on this, but I more than likely will take forever and probably never finish it. My work also pales in comparison to someone truly skilled with vector imaging programs.

I once started a map that followed the DOOM comic events (started in a hall with an imp and berserk, a big door made by wood, with a cyberdemon behind it, then on the left a room with a chainsaw in the floor and some zombies, and so on), sadly I never finished it, I got to the part where an imp shoots you in the back (hidden imp that attacks you from behind unless you were expecting him).
I think I still have the map if anyone is interested.

Someone could do a lazy quick job and just trace the images in Flash, but of course, I don't know where to find scans to begin with so...

i just watched the movie for the first time ever this last weekend. definitely not impressed but it kept me entertained enough. too bad they fucked with the story. oh well. anyways, i just read through the comic again... its actually a pretty impressive piece of work. it made me enter a trance of deep thought... and laugh out loud. "oh, i fell in radioactive waste, what is the world coming to? all this mess for future generations to deal with! mwahahaha i have a gun blam blam *grin* guts *lame pun* die!"

I wish there were more issues of a Doom comic...

But only one, and with 16 pages at that? Kinda little.

Edit: and a single talking character? Come on, Doom is also a cooperative game if you make it so. And similarly Doom 3 has NPCs and whatnot.

Captain Red said:

Those pages are way too low-res for automatic vectorizing, even if they were not compressed. It would be nice if someone had high-res scans (or the actual comic itsself).

RIP AND TEAR! YOU'RE HUGE. THAT MEANS YOU GOT HUGE GUTS!!

DYNAMITE.

One of greatest comic books I've ever seen.
I think it can be considered one of the greatest works of fiction along with Peter Chimera's 'Repercussion of Evil'.

printz said:

Edit: and a single talking character?

Don't you know the excuse used by video games up until Half-Life 1 as to why there are no allied NPCs?

Real reason: Engines and coding not capable of it yet (we're not counting the useless Quake II marines).

Lore reason: LOL THEY ALL DIED BECAUSE GOD LOVES YOU SO YOU LIVE!

CodeImp said:

Those pages are way too low-res for automatic vectorizing, even if they were not compressed. It would be nice if someone had high-res scans (or the actual comic itsself).

What resolution would be desirable? I'll soon have a copy of the comic in my sweaty little paws.

StoneFrog said:

Real reason: Engines and coding not capable of it yet (we're not counting the useless Quake II marines).

That's not true. There was allied NPCs in FPS games before Half-Life existed. There are no such thing as reasons of technical limitations to have only enemies - there are only design decisions to rule that.

GreyGhost said:

What resolution would be desirable? I'll soon have a copy of the comic in my sweaty little paws.

600 DPI is a good resolution. Note that you'll probably have to filter the image before you can vectorize it, if it was printed with dithering.

Chilly Willy said:
Wow... and I thought the movie was bad! :)

Are you kidding? the Doom movie would have kicked ass if it where a shot by shot remake of the comic :D

I kinda meant manual vectorizing, which could be done with the current pictures. It would just take a bit of work and be a pain. With 600 dpi scans, it seems pointless to turn them into vector images unless you want the ability to make poster or billboard sized images.

Spleen said:

Why don't we vectorize the actual doom monster sprites instead?

What's the point in vectorizing hand-crafted pixel artwork? It'll only look worse, and accomplish 'cools' from the young ones.

leileilol said:

What's the point in vectorizing hand-crafted pixel artwork? It'll only look worse, and accomplish 'cools' from the young ones.

I agree because it won't doo any good results. I know that you can use blur in vectors(Latest SVG format allows blur), but it just eats a lot of memory and everybody hates lagging(It needs to scale stuff and also blur some parts, antialias and do everything in realtime!).

leileilol said:

It'll be heavily contrasting with the rest of the game. Frankly I don't like how the edges come out either.

Also, to hell with the young ones! Leave them to their Half-Life 2 and all that junk.

Me, I'm a diehard Half-Life 1 fan. :)