Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Duke Nukem Screenshots.

Hair is still troublesome in modern games. Smooth shaded alpha textures can't be rendered like the rest, and the lighting won't affect it, this is in Unreal3 and IdTech4 alike. So, it affects how you can do hair.

Doom3 did it by only having black hair use alpha maps,(Though the chainsaw zombie did have alpha shaded hair, I haven't look into how it's at a close up) and in Bioshock the hair was just generally awful.

Looks like a generic Unreal-Engine game. Pretty disappointing, due to the fact that it uses this god awful tech.

It looks pretty enough for me. I'm still impressed.

Why look, it's "slap a bunch of shaders all over everything" combined with that satire that makes a Duke game a Duke game.

Let's see---

Relief mapping for rocks in the distance.. check.
Parallax mapping and reflection shaders for extra shininess on gun... check
Bumpmapping for ridges in fingers that seem to be wrapped in a space age cellophane... check
Bloom... CHECK CHECK CHECK!
HDR... You bet your ass!
Grasp for realism as well as a subtle jab at the current sue-happy society with warning about laser radiation on a FUCKING AWESOME PISTOL... CHECK!
Women... booobs
"badass" face, complete with polarized glasses... check
Realistic looking clothing on everything but the main character.. check

of course, none of this will really matter as the game shall be CONSTANT ACTION WITH SMOOTH OR MOVIE FRAMERATE (latter has the potential for badass-ness) so being picky about little graphical details is silly at best. Maybe.

Also, kudos to 3d Realms for realising AA on cards is still shit and for posting screenshots based on settings suitable for average graphics cards.

And since no one has mentioned it yet, and I've also yet to see it--- I want to see some explosions. That's what made Duke Duke -- blowing shit up-- and the explosions should look crisp, bright and exaggerated like Die Hard. It's the only way to go, baby.

fraggle said:

Have 3DRealms never heard of anti-aliasing?

or anisotropic filtering especially with the club shot

Necros20 said:

Can anyone here think of a game that has been in development longer than Duke Nukem Forever? :P

nethack

Necros20 said:

Can anyone here think of a game that has been in development longer than Duke Nukem Forever? :P

Limbo of the lost

They couldn't be assed to turn on AA for their screenshot? It looks pretty jaggy. I guess they spent their budget on cheap whiskey instead of new PCs.

I really don't understand the economics of this game. With a game that's been in development since the late Triassic, I don't see how they can possibly make much money off it. Are they just going through the motions in order to slap something on a shelf and recoup some losses?

Kaiser said:

Looks like a generic Unreal-Engine game. Pretty disappointing, due to the fact that it uses this god awful tech.

Looks alright. It would be nice if they went with a more cartoony approach like the old duke games, that kind of art in the context of the Unreal engine would have no limits. But I guess trying to ape realism like every other dumb game works too.

udderdude said:

They couldn't be assed to turn on AA for their screenshot? It looks pretty jaggy. I guess they spent their budget on cheap whiskey instead of new PCs.

WoW you mean.

david_a said:

I really don't understand the economics of this game. With a game that's been in development since the late Triassic, I don't see how they can possibly make much money off it. Are they just going through the motions in order to slap something on a shelf and recoup some losses?

How are they making money anyway? Publishing the odd game?

Well, they got some money off of people who thought that Prey was gonna be a good game.
Then they made some Duke Nukem platformer game... and I guess sold their souls to satan.

fraggle said:

I didn't even notice from just looking... you really have to be nit-picking to complain about it. I don't even understand why people even think it's so important in a fast-action game :/

fraggle said:

I don't think anyone is expecting the next graphical leap to come from Duke Nukem forever.

I had a dream last night that I was playing a new Duke Nukem that actually focused on gameplay and environments as well as DN3D did but didn't demand much hardware. I'm hoping that this isn't a minor coincidence.

MikeRS said:

I didn't even notice from just looking... you really have to be nit-picking to complain about it. I don't even understand why people even think it's so important in a fast-action game :/

Yeah, it's hard to pay attention to the small details when you're shooting shit, that's for sure.

Necros20 said:

Can anyone here think of a game that has been in development longer than Duke Nukem Forever?

They're going for the record - why else would they call it "Duke Nukem Forever". :P

Should anyone still concern about DNF anymore?

First, the gfx are outdated

Second, we have more far better games in the past 10 years than thsi

999cop said:
Should anyone still concern about DNF anymore?

First, the gfx are outdated

I wouldn't care about the game until 3DRealms says it's gold and a demo comes out. People have been looking at a development process rather than a final game. When it comes out, it's as simple as this--if the game is fun, I'll play it. If not, then I won't.

Anyone who refuses to play the game because it took so long to make (and believe that the game should literally contain 12 or whatever years of work) is a tool for the hype.

Don't care about the graphics if the gameplay is good. If the gameplay is bad, then DNF doesn't have much going for it.

I don't care what people say about its development time or even if its graphics are 10 years old. If it looks like it has fairly good gameplay, I'm buying the sucker.

Dated graphics? Duke 3D had dated graphics for it's time.

If the game contains all the elements of the original that made the series fun then it's a good game.