Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Chip's Doom Challenge

That brings back so many memories. Lets see how many levels i still know by heart lol

It's pretty good, but there are a few problems. One of them is aesthetics: I honestly think you could have taken more from Chip's Challenge to make it feel complete. The other is that puzzle difficulty is harder or almost impossible in some cases. This can probably be fixed with some tweaks, but I'll try and list them when I play back through it again.

Otherwise, it's a great homage to a classic. Good job! :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Reminds me of one of Wills' wads. This is nice stuff.

EDIT: Addicted

One thing that comes to mind is how it can be annoying punching the hell knights through tight corridors. Sometimes you punch him too hard, pushing him into a corner or something and making him useless, forcing you to restart. Since that can similarly happen in the original, I didn't worry about it too much. As long as you line up the punches really well, there shouldn't be too many problems with that (but I guess upping his mass would prevent him from traveling too far, but I thought lowering his mass would make punching him less time consuming). But yeah, I'd like to hear about more problems.

Thanks, guys.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

If you're interested, I could craft a few possibly-helpful textures for you to apply over this mod...?

TimeOfDeath said:

One thing that comes to mind is how it can be annoying punching the hell knights through tight corridors. Sometimes you punch him too hard, pushing him into a corner or something and making him useless, forcing you to restart. Since that can similarly happen in the original, I didn't worry about it too much. As long as you line up the punches really well, there shouldn't be too many problems with that (but I guess upping his mass would prevent him from traveling too far, but I thought lowering his mass would make punching him less time consuming). But yeah, I'd like to hear about more problems.

That was pretty much what I was talking about. :p The other problem I've had is trying to move a hell knight but having them get caught on the edge of a wall instead, where they refuse to move. You just lock onto them with your fist like normal. It's hard to explain, really. The biggest problem I've had with the hell knights was the map where you need to punch them into a teleporter to make bridges to reach the skull stones. Half the time I would end up telefragging them, making them useless.

The modified barons are also a pain. They seem to be stuck on -fast, and I have a hard time dodging their shots. Other than that, I really like it.

This is most excellent indeed. I don't know how much time I spent playing this as a kid. I even made a level set for it. I would be very impressed if you made all the levels but I know that it would require a huge amount of work. One thing that you could make is a hud addition that tells you how many chips you need to get before you can exit. For the knights; if you could get them to move in like 32x32 squares, that would avoid the trouble of them getting stuck on the walls. Then you could have a script that determines whether there is a knight on the other side of the teleporter and to move it out of the way. This would hopefully solve some of the problems.

This is awesome and you sure know what you're doing technically. It inspired me to re-download the original chip's challenge. A little similar to the lolo series on nes. I remember a really old game 'boxboy' that was the 'push but can't pull boxes' gameplay by itself. On a side note I recommend 'roll away' for ps1, not really similar but a puzzle game nonetheless and one of the few more modern ones I liked.

Oh God, I got super addicted to that game before. Ended up getting to level 100 or 101 and realized the amount of time I had wasted listening to the same 2 midis over and over again :p Nonetheless, freakin' awsome idea man! Can't wait to check it out.

I downloaded it. Awesome stuff!

Took me a while to figure out why those Hell Knights were all over the place. Punched one and realised he was a movable block.

I remade Chip's Challenge level 1 in my discontinued jokewad The New Adventure 2.

For some reason this wad feels so disorientating to me, especially since I'm so used to seeing this from an overhead perspective, not first.

suggestions: redo the hell knights via scripting. IE: get the side (via vectorangle) you hit him from and then use setactorposition. print more information to the hud, like keys, shooes, chips left, etc.

I remember playing this as a little kid. :P To be honest though, I kinda sucked at it and I the farthest I could ever get was the 20th level. I still enjoyed it though.
Just played through the first couple of levels and I gotta say, it's pretty damn fun :D

OMG NOOOOOOO You brought my most hated/addictive/nightmare game to my most beloved game.. Doom! You must be maddd!! Nice work tho :(

Yes, this will be uploaded to /idgames, probably when 32 maps are done. No new maps have been made yet and I don't know when they will be.

The baron will be slower and a new status bar will be added. Sorry, I don't want to change the hell knights. As long as punches are aimed properly, there is no problem.

chips left = the "monsters" stat on the automap
chips picked up = armor

blue keys = bullets
green keys = shells
red keys = rockets
yellow keys = cells

flippers = blue keycard
skates = blue skull key
fire boots = red keycard
suction boots = yellow keycard

TimeOfDeath said:
Sorry, I don't want to change the hell knights. As long as punches are aimed properly, there is no problem.

Well, that's a disappointment. It really doesn't feel good.

The distance that a hell knight moves after being punched is kinda random. It's very unpractical if a block moves forward randomly between 0.5 tiles and 1.5 tiles per hit. And yes, this'll cause them to get stuck occasionally, even if you aim "properly". You can actually punch a hell knight into water so that it skips one tile of water entirely. Another possible messup scenario in more detail below:

#######
###..##   O = Block
......#   . = Floor
###O#.#   # = Wall
###...#
#######
You want to get the block to the left. It should be quite obvious what happens if the block moves two steps up after only one hit.

There are several compatibility issues too.

You can hit hell knights diagonally. This allows you to get them into places that you couldn't in the original game. For instance, you can punch one right next to a wall, and then get it back to the middle by standing right next to the wall yourself and punching diagonally. Or you can create a bridge in Castle Moat with less blocks than usually.

You can also telefrag Hell Knights. This'll break at least a level or two (but since you're not doing them all, this isn't a real problem). It doesn't really affect Teleblock where it's visible, though, as doing this would push a block into a corner anyway.

Umm how the heck to you get to the second room on level 9? It's seems physically impossible.

Inferno said:

Umm how the heck to you get to the second room on level 9? It's seems physically impossible.

noclip? :P

Fisticuffs with the Baron of hell was what annoyed me with this, but I like it non the less.

Captain Ventris said...
I'm pretty sure this could benefit from a custom hud. That would really improve things.

Indeed.

Inferno said...
Umm how the heck to you get to the second room on level 9? It's seems physically impossible.[/b]

I'd like to know that as well. Level 9 is where I gave up too, it just does not seem possible to move across those green arrows.