Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Final Doom IS coming on the Xbox live arcade!

This article from January 2007 claims that Final Doom is coming on the Xbox live arcade. I don't remember Final Doom being on the xbox live arcade. Is this wrong or is the game indeed coming?

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2007/01/04/esrb-reveals-4-new-wii-virtual-console-galaga-and-xbox-live-arcade-games-final-doom.htm

EDIT: I also just found this:

http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/06/21/final-doom-for-xbox-live-arcade/

Nemark said:

Final Doom but no Doom II? Odd...

Not really if you think about it. Final Doom has 64 maps (that's 2 games: Plutonia and TNT with 32 maps each.) and most of them are allot better then most of the junk levels from Doom 2!

So yea! I would say that Final Doom is a much bigger and better deal then Doom 2! :)

esselfortium said:

Doom 2 >>>>>>> TNT: Evilution

esselfortium said:

Doom 2 >>>>>>> TNT: Evilution

Quoted twice for truth!

DeumReaper said:

Seriously, they ported a 10+ yr old game and the lag was like on a modem. No excuse for that.

What lag? I was just complaining that they used the old net code method.

Edward850 said:

What lag? I was just complaining that they used the old net code method.

Yes but there have been complaints that the game lagged in online multiplayer. I can't tell you how much however as i don't own the game for the Xbox live arcade. I would buy it if i could but the Bloody Xbox live service has rather shitty support for anybody living outside America so some things can't be downloaded from Xbox live outside America. And that includes Doom :(

In fact Xbox live doesn't even support Iceland at all, when xbox live asked me what country i was from, i just picked the UK. And when it asked for address, i just typed in Buckingham palace or something.

I wished Microsoft had more respect for users outside America. :(

John Smith said:

And Plutonia > Doom 2

No way dude, TNT totally beats all of them. Just look at map21! A work of art right there.

TNT > Doom 2 > Plutonia

I love TNT to death. It took all the fast-paced action of DOOM, cut out the slow parts, the cheesy ambience and drama, leaving the mayhem and the most badass guitar track ever. I also am a sucker for techbase.

hardcore_gamer said:

Not really if you think about it. Final Doom has 64 maps (that's 2 games: Plutonia and TNT with 32 maps each.) and most of them are allot better then most of the junk levels from Doom 2!

So yea! I would say that Final Doom is a much bigger and better deal then Doom 2! :)

I think it's more odd in that Doom 2 is much more well known and more played than Final Doom is. It seems only logical that they'd have Doom's sequel as well as the Final Doom episodes.

And I partially agree with you on the second bit...I liked both episodes of Final Doom, especially TNT, more than Doom 2 but I didn't think Doom 2 had "junk levels" per se. They got repetitive and boring in places but a lot of the Doom 2 levels actually are fun to play.

And yes, Tango...MAP21 of TNT is an AWESOME map.

It's quite hard to argue by any modern standard that Doom 2's levels are better than TNT's. I've always thought that TNT is a great set of maps, while the main thing that Doom 2's maps have going for them is that they're in Doom 2. You played them while you were eight; you can't help but like them. They're certainly fun, but TNT is a more finely crafted adventure.

Creaphis said:

It's quite hard to argue by any modern standard that Doom 2's levels are better than TNT's. I've always thought that TNT is a great set of maps, while the main thing that Doom 2's maps have going for them is that they're in Doom 2. You played them while you were eight; you can't help but like them. They're certainly fun, but TNT is a more finely crafted adventure.

Sure, there are a few decent maps in TNT, but as a whole more finely-crafted?

Mary I'm not so sure about that

My gripe with Doom on XBLA had more to do with it's control scheme.

Seriously, who the hell thought holding L to run was a good idea?

They couldn't even give us the option to configure controls. Complete bullshit.

Coarse the net code and the sound were pathetic too. I can't tell you how many times I'd hear the same sound, at a different tone, for no reason.

Oh and personally I think plutonia is the best. Though Doom II will always have a special place in my heard as that game I played when I was 7 years old.

TNT - Barf.

esselfortium said:

Sure, there are a few decent maps in TNT, but as a whole more finely-crafted?

Mary I'm not so sure about that

Hm. I guess I played them while I was twelve; I can't help but like them.

Seriously though, how hard is it to collect a set of screenshots from Doom 2 that's much less flattering?

Creaphis said:

Hm. I guess I played them while I was twelve; I can't help but like them.

Seriously though, how hard is it to collect a set of screenshots from Doom 2 that's much less flattering?

Doom 2 had its fair share of Sandymaps, but he usually didn't make gigantic mazes of thin hallways. :\

i enjoyed all of the doom maps that have been commercially released. im willing to make a bet that in 10 years, assuming some new console appears in that time period (like 2020) that doom will be on it. doom has already survived for nearly 15 years, and remained a popular game...

essel's screenshots do kinda point out my one gripe with TNT: there are too many weird long corridors, with mazes in them, and there are too many bits (see MAP19) where they tried too hard to make realistic things.

Just because Doom 2 has some long, boring, ugly maps doesn't mean that there are maps in TNT that I don't like. I enjoyed the episode more overall but there were places where TNT didn't really do it for me.

Plutonia has some amazing gameplay but I don't like how similar the levels all are aesthetically. I could have gone for more levels that weren't stone and wood with maybe some rusty iron thrown in. (Although the wood, stone, and rusty-iron look is pulled off very well throughout the whole episode.)

And Plutonia MAP29 is the best commercial map IMO.

hardcore_gamer said:

I wished Microsoft had more respect for users outside America. :(

Support seems fine in New Zealand. I know a few places don’t have support, but people seem to treat it as though it’s the end of the world. How stupid is that?

Creaphis said:

I guess if that mattered much compet-n would be about taking screen shots rather than running through the levels and killing stuff. And yeah, it means "more gameplay" but not better gameplay :p

That said, I don't hate TNT, but I do prefer DOOM II.

Edward850 said:

Support seems fine in New Zealand. I know a few places don’t have support, but people seem to treat it as though it’s the end of the world. How stupid is that?

I never said it was the end of the world. I just said it sucks.

All this time in this thread and nobody pointed to the obvious? This announcement was made over a year ago, with no recent updates or anything. Hell, Duke was announced a month before release. Unless we get an update, we should assume that this was canned.

Mike.Reiner said:

Seriously, who the hell thought holding L to run was a good idea?

Spoiled on auto-run? Tough shit. You'll get used to it.

Nes said:

Spoiled on auto-run? Tough shit. You'll get used to it.

'Tough shit'? Well, Mr.Hardass, excuse me for thinking that an analog stick should be, ya know, ANALOG.

There's no excuse. It's a fucking analog stick, not digital. The least those morons could have done was made the controls customizable.