Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Doom Classic Game + Doom 3 + Movie Connected?

Yeah, there is some stuff I wonder about the ties between the games and the movie. Can anyone help me understand any of these questions?

I noticed that in the first Doom the UAC symbol is two circles and a sideways arrow inside it, why in Doom 3 and the Movie had it changed? Is there even a reason?

Does Doom 3 even connect with the first Doom? It seems like a remake, cause it all happened again, or is it after or before or leading up to?

Is Doom 3 and the new Doom 4 going to complete a remake of Doom and Doom II : Hell on Earth?

Why did they change the plot of the Doom Movie from the games original (they come from hell) plot?

Answers to my questions would be great, thanks.

Title question: no

The logo changed because. Corporations change their logo frequently after all, and you can see the old logo in several places in Doom 3. (By the way, the circles and arrow are actually U, A and C, with U and A rotated 90°.)

No it doesn't. Yes it's a remake. In Doom 3 the teleportation experiments are not between the two tiny moons of Mars, and it's based on ancient alien technology.

Maybe. People seem to think that Doom 4 will indeed take place on Earth. Nothing has been officially confirmed but there was a comment from someone at id that could be interpreted this way.

The plot was changed to comply with the law stating that all movies derived from video game must suck.

I think one plot point in Doom 3 that could have been explored much further was the anxiety attacks and emotional problems the workers experienced before the portal to hell was opened. Perhaps the main character could slip further and further into insanity, unable to differentiate anymore between good and evil, real and unreal. There is a lot of room for complex development in the plot.

Reaper978 said:

I think one plot point in Doom 3 that could have been explored much further was the anxiety attacks and emotional problems the workers experienced before the portal to hell was opened. Perhaps the main character could slip further and further into insanity, unable to differentiate anymore between good and evil, real and unreal. There is a lot of room for complex development in the plot.

The way I saw it during play was that those anxiety attacks (the voices some people heard, the strange accidents, and then the wild rumor mill this inevitably generated) were a way to sap the staff's willpower so that they would fall prey to possession and become zombies. Likewise, the test subjects for teleportation were given anesthetics which probably also had for effect to reduce their willpower to make them easier prey to possession during their trips in hell.

It's why the three characters who had just arrived (Campbell, Swan, and our hero) were not possessed or turned into demonic things like nearly everyone else.

(Now to be fair, we did met a few other people who weren't possessed. Must have succeeded their saving throws. But Betruger knew it wouldn't work on everybody despite all that, that's why the invading demons and the people turned into zombies attacked everybody else.)

There are always survivors after the beginning of a surprise. The difference between DOOM and DOOM 3 was that DOOM starts after most of the attacks are over, DOOM 3 starts while you're in the middle of it and while it has begun, however the comparisons between both scenarios is that you're in a desolated area during the pinnacle of the Hell's unleash and that eventually no one survives but you. DOOM builds up with a change of environment as you proceed through each level getting closer and closer to Hell until you're in the site of the aftermath: Mars.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/doom/images/d/d0/Doom_3_old_UAC_logo_on_folder.jpg
The old UAC logo appears on several metal crates and just about all the binders and folders.

In my opinion, I can agree whereas also the voice acting could have been more creative recording some of the UAC employees during that insanity stage. However, I'm not saying that id Software did not think about exploring the anxiety attacks and emotional problems in DOOM 3. There was one recording between doctor and patient, where the patient slowly goes insane. You could hear the recordings inside one of the infirmaries where there's a secret in the same room. Don't remember exactly which level it was.

People put too much time and effort into trying to establish connections between members of the Doom "family". The six degrees of separation theory is probably the best tool to tie the three together. So far as I'm concerned Doom 3 is a re-interpretation of Classic Doom and the movie is a re-interpretation of Doom 3 - trying to relate one to the others in a meaningful way is an exercise in fan fiction.

Reaper978 said:

And then John was a zombie? :-)

Reaper978 said:

This sounds....familiar :P

Tann&Jerri said:

No movie based on a game would gross more than $5M. Gaming is a pretty low but fun sort of media, not the best.

US Domestic Grosses:

Doom: $28,212,337
Hitman: $39,687,528
Mortal Kombat: $70,454,098
Resident Evil: $39,532,308
Resident Evil (Apocalypse): $51,201,453
Resident Evil (Extinction): $50,740,078
Silent Hill: $46,982,632
Super Mario Bros: $20,915,465
Street Fighter: $33,423,521
Tomb Raider: $131,168,070
Tomb Raider (Cradle of Life): $65,660,196

Figures obtained from boxofficemojo.com and the-numbers.com.

On that note, I think Silent Hill is the best one out of them all as far as being faithful to the series goes. And yeah, I don't know what movies you have been watching Tann&Jerri.

Hahahaha, were they these movies?

U.S. Domestic

Alone in the Dark: $5,178,569
BloodRayne: $2,405,420
Dead or Alive: $480,813
Double Dragon: $2,341,309
House of the Dead: $10,249,719
In the Name of the King ..: $4,775,656
Postal: ... ouch, too bad.
Wing Commander: $11,578,059

Postal apparently being Uwe Boll's best.