Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
impClaw

Odamex 0.4.2 released

Odamex 0.4.2 has been released. Go check it out at Sourceforge or download it. Changes include:

• Silent BFG fixed
  • Saving and loading of single player games has been restored
  • A modified sdl.dll is included with the Windows packages that resolves some mouse issues
  • Improved stability, code reduction and optmization - it runs better

It's nice to see an update. The Odasite is currently down for some reason (error 500)...

impClaw said:

• A modified sdl.dll is included with the Windows packages that resolves some mouse issues

• There is no necessity to 'hack' SDL for fixing mouse lags. PrBoom+ (and chocolate-doom too, iirc) has small and 'funny' workaround for that about a year.

Earlier prboom+ used Win32 API for mouse handling, because it is impossible to use mouse with native SDL handling - it's very laggy in some situations. On the other hand most of casual players even did not notice a problem and still can use mouse with vanilla prboom and eternity as if it works perfectly :-/

entryway said:

There is no necessity to 'hack' SDL for fixing mouse lags.

Heh. From ioquake3 readme file:

Mouse Input On Windows
    ioq3 uses SDL to abstract away as much as possible from platform specific
    implementation details. Unfortunately, SDL 1.2 suffers from a number of bugs
    and limitations with respect to mouse input on the Windows platform. We
    provide a patch against the SDL subversion 1.2 branch which fixes the
    following problems:

On my system the mouse seems okay in Odamex. I think more or less like in PrBoom+, but I get the (slight?) impression it is shakier (less smooth) in Chocolate Doom.