Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Richo Rosai

Did you ever* make the monkey noises

Can't say I've played it. I did play the original when I was a kid, though.

myk said:

Can't say I've played it. I did play the original when I was a kid, though.

It was a great game at the time, and that being when I only got one or two games a year I played the ever-loving shit out of it (still remember almost all the secrets).

Having more discerning tastes now I can see more of its flaws (way too zoomed-in, apparently to show off the graphics, making it impossible to see some parts of the screen to which you need to advance, making rote (and route (heh)) memorization necessary in a few places, and the bosses are rather phoned-in), but it's still a classic, and a defining game for me. Also on the topic of its quality, Miyamoto has openly and harshly criticized the game (see the wiki article).

Oh, and the original didn't even have any discernible monkey noises, right? Stick with your bleeps and bloops old man, this is MY generation [wails on guitar while slamming radical breakfast cereal my parents just don't understand even though they buy it for me, WHILE riding a skateboard]

I can only say that the only time I have ever encountered DK was in SSB. And never in my gaming life have I ever had any urge to make monkey noises.

Richo Rosai said:

[wails on guitar while slamming radical breakfast cereal my parents just don't understand even though they buy it for me, WHILE riding a skateboard]

hey, i grew up in the 90s too!

A buddy and me just finished the most retarded stop motion animation with paper cutout sprites today for a project.

But on a more relevant-to-game response I remember enjoying DKC a lot. I think I liked Kiddy's Kong Quest a little better however. But if there were a Donkey Kong I played the shit out of it would be Donkey Kong for the game boy. My God that game was long and nut busting.

Donkey Kong Country was awesome. It had really nice looking graphics for it's time, a good soundtrack, and really fun and intuitive gameplay. It could get pretty hard at some points, though.

I never really played the sequels.

As for the monkey noises, I always used the "tag" noise from that game whenever I had to make some kind of monkey noise. >_>

exp(x) said:

I only like DKC3. 1 and 2 piss me off.

What? DKC2 is the best of the series. DKC3 was good, but points subtracted due to being gimmicky in gameplay and it just didn't have the thematic consistency of 2.

Doom Marine said:

What? DKC2 is the best of the series. DKC3 was good, but points subtracted due to being gimmicky in gameplay and it just didn't have the thematic consistency of 2.

The best? It's amazingly, frustratingly DIFFICULT. I think a more difficult game would be Mickey Mania. now, There's a game that's so hard it'll make you spit fire.

DKC2 sucked me in for years at a time. I even went to the trouble of getting every DK coin and every Bonus Coin and getting the secret ending from the lost world in DKC2...DKC was pretty good too, although DKC3 was too much of an easy game for me.

But yes, monkey noises were the order of the day, and the crying of Dixie when she got hit was usually accompanied by my own crying/screaming/jumping on SNES controller.

Csonicgo said:

The best? It's amazingly, frustratingly DIFFICULT. I think a more difficult game would be Mickey Mania. now, There's a game that's so hard it'll make you spit fire.

Some DKC2's levels will have you pulling your hair out, but was fair in how the difficulty was presented, as the most difficult levels were secrets. This is nothing compared to the cocksuck that was in certain DKC3's levels like Labyrinth... I literally had to turn my controller upside-down while swearing at the screen fifty times over.