Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

A new demo : e1ns1027.
I don't know why I can't upload it to compet-n (the two "deletethis" files in incoming are failed attempts, one zip being empty, the other being corrupted).

About the demo itself... It's a nice improvement, still not perfect of course, but overall it looks good :)

Squonk said:

Overall, that's a nice improvement over Vile's time. It's mostly a better use of the rocket launcher, and some better running at some points...

With 'motion blur' feature of glb+ I have noticed you used strave50 almost everywhere (everywhere where it was possible). Vile did not use it at all I think. Nice run.

Squonk said:

Right, I use strafe50 as much as possible. Why do you mention it?

Because it was the thing which stared in the face immediately :) I think it was an one more reason of such good time.

Squonk said:

A new demo : e1ns1027.
About the demo itself... It's a nice improvement, still not perfect of course, but overall it looks good :)

Nice movie! It is difficult to choose using Strafe40 or Strafe50 according to circumstances.
I don't like to play NM Episode, because I run out of my health on one map when playing NM. I can't maintain it well for next map. But, I want to play Episode run (UV?) someday.

Btw, why can glide be done on a fence of Doom2 map 10 (also pl07 and av25)

Great... that is a pretty nice improvement over the previous record. Hitting the 10:00 mark would be plain awesome.

Squonk said:
I don't know why I can't upload it to compet-n (the two "deletethis" files in incoming are failed attempts, one zip being empty, the other being corrupted).

It's happened before; the archive has a capacity limit so no one will come and throw a huge file in it. I mailed Opulent and Grazza about it. I think they can raise it or get someone to do it.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:
Btw, why can glide be done on a fence of Doom2 map 10 (also pl07 and av25)

That's a bit different than the 32-unit trick (not sure if there's a relation). Some glitch in the collision code lets the player go through the point (vertex) where two simple two-sided linedefs intersect in an angle.

I've put Squonk's run up on Compet-n. Don't think I can change the quota on incoming though, think that's Bahdko's department.

Thanks all!

myk said:

Hitting the 10:00 mark would be plain awesome.

Hell, I agree it would be awesome, but it is going to be insanely tough. With my best times, I could have about 9:50, but I had 1:58 on e1m3 only once, same for 0:52 on e1m9, 1:48 on e1m5. Maybe someone will find some improvements to do... Until that, I don't think it will be done.

I just have to quote Sedlo:
"If you belive in yourselfe you can make everything you want"

Why 9 sec would be impossible? It would be almost the same as in UV. You would need perfect movement, lots of S50 (as in Sedlo's run) and much more luck, since you can die easier :)))))))))))))))))))

Btw your demos are great :) Keep on playing ;)

Thanks for the kind words Mr.TF :D

You're right about the 'impossible' in Doom. But here the challenge isn't interesting enough..getting 9 seconds in Nightmare! on that map would be soooo painful. I'll use Sedlo wiseness for my other projects :-)

But anyway here is an intersting demo. I think.

Alien Vendetta's map03 UV Speed:

http://users.skynet.be/fc175981/av03-uv-027-Gd.zip

Seems just to be www - ftp is still working at the moment and I can ping the site. I've seen that placeholder before so maybe it's just an intermittent problem.

Hmmmm, I have could not access it from the middle of October even if I use a proxy.

Btw, new Ryback's av25 run is very great!!
This map, I am one of the most favorite maps in Alien Vendetta.
Actually, I have practiced this map to get 22 min or 21 min the past a week. However, I don't think below 20 min.

Good job!

glad that my map still makes people happy :D

Ryback > awesome time :D, I knew it was possible , I will watch it tonight for sure :D

Either way, that demo (which I watched today) was great. That you do stuff like that on just a keyboard is still impressive even now. :) Personally, taking on a level like that would be a major undertaking for me...

Checked av25 today, and it was sick! (haha, who though it wouldn't?)
Such free and precise movements, like if there were no of these hordes around. It makes everything look very easy, though it is definitely not :)
Also it looks like you clearly know what to do all the time, - there is no lousy waiting, just an agressive action all the time, which is really cool, especially in that kind of map.

Nice run, but

Guiddqd wrote:
Recorded using Ultimate Doom Version 1.9

why do you use it? When you record pwad of Doom 2 for C-N entry, it is necessary to use Doom2.exe (-complevel 2), isn't it?
Fortunately, your demo work correctly on complevel 2. If it don't, it might be invalid.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Nice run, but

why do you use it? When you record pwad of Doom 2 for C-N entry, it is necessary to use Doom2.exe (-complevel 2), isn't it?
Fortunately, your demo work correctly on complevel 2. If it don't, it might be invalid.

Nah, I just forgot to modify the .txt. It's done now thanks.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Nice run, but

Hmmm...I actually thought the policy was you can use any of the 3 Compet-N executables for a Compet-N entry. We're just used so seeing such swapping with Doom 2 and Final Doom.

emailking said:
We're just used so seeing such swapping with Doom 2 and Final Doom.

That's an exception that occurred because initially people didn't know of a value in the CFG to enable autorun in Final DOOM. Eventually it was discovered, but by then some demos had already been accepted with DOOM II's executable.

You can optionally use DOOM II's executable for Final DOOM, but you can't swap anything else.

I've done a nightmare demo for Av08, but was unable to upload it so I'm attaching it here. Hopefully someone can figure out what's wrong with the ftp or upload it for me.

an08-638.zip