Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

id Software going old school: possible?

Does anyone here think id Software will ever release a new Doom wad or game using the classic engine? Thats what I want to see, id Software go old school. I know many people will want them to "leave Doom as it is" because its great enough, but it could turn out really good and I think fans might want to see this.

So, do any of you think, in all honesty, that its possible?

Avery1555

That'd be so cool.

But I think id is currently occupied with larger projects. They are probably proud of what the community has accomplished over the years and would rather allow them to continue doing what they do, rather than making an official project and conflicting with our current standards of a WAD.

Yeah, like the upcoming Doom 4 game.

But maybe for Dooms anniversry or something, they might eventually do something. We can only hope! Lol, but im aware its very unlikely.

They already did "go old school", with Doom RPG and Orcs & Elves.

With all due respect, id Software hasn't really shown a great talent for making interesting single-player experiences for the better part of a decade.

If they did make a WAD, it'd probably suck.

mm, yeah..

Why bother?

I know capcom just pulled the MegaMan NES sequel thing, and yeah, that's a really cool idea, and I'd love to see sequels to old games on their respective engines..

But honestly, I doubt iD could produce anything that would be worth our money on the Doom engine today.

There are a lot of high quality level sets and mods out there already, we don't need a doom fix from iD.

Besides, without John Romero, what's the point?

Romero has said a few times that he'd like to make another Doom map someday, but that he hasn't had the time.

Getting him, American McGee, Tom Hall, and Sandy Petersen together to make some new maps would be much more fitting, IMO, than having id's current staff make a new classic-Doom installment.

An official project with some professional new texture/sprite artwork would be amazing though :P

The stuff that they could do that they should have done before would be mouth watering.
Ugh... Get me a towel.

Not going to happen.

Gotta run this through a cost-benefit analysis. What benefits them the most, spending one hour working on a Doom 2 map or spending one hour working on stuff for Rage or whatever other current project they're working on?

Having a guy who can do mad 3D-coding-fu in your team is certainly cool, but I'd rather have the guy who can make the gameplay good.

That pretty much sums up my opinion of the post-Romero id and this whole topic.

Jodwin said:

Having a guy who can do mad 3D-coding-fu in your team is certainly cool, but I'd rather have the guy who can make the gameplay good.

That pretty much sums up my opinion of the post-Romero id and this whole topic.

Daikatana

kristus said:

Daikatana

I'd say that only shows that Romero shouldn't be let to manage a game project, he should stay at working with gameplay and level design.

esselfortium said:

Romero has said a few times that he'd like to make another Doom map someday, but that he hasn't had the time.

Getting him, American McGee, Tom Hall, and Sandy Petersen together to make some new maps would be much more fitting, IMO, than having id's current staff make a new classic-Doom installment.

Yes, bring the old gang back together.

(Just keep Carmack away)

StoneFrog said:

He should partner with them one last time for it.

let's say, would id want to hire him, based on their old relationship?

what's up with romero anyway? neither his wiki page nor rome.ro have news about what games he's working on. today's games are much more complex than what he has worked on, there should be other promising artists more familiar with the current technologies.

as for id releasing an oldschool game with or without romero, i doubt it. customers would lack the visuals and shun it, perhaps thinking that id is recycling the classics for lack of inspiration. they're a technology pioneer, while going oldschool is purely about gameplay.

Jodwin said:

I'd say that only shows that Romero shouldn't be let to manage a game project, he should stay at working with gameplay and level design.

He managed Wolfenstein, Doom, Doom2, Heretic, Hexen and Quake.
Romero wasn't the golden child of id. But he was a valued member of a team of other valued members.
Though, I rarely agree with people who complain about the games id did after Romero left. Quake2 for instance is one of my favorite games ever.

kristus said:

He managed Wolfenstein, Doom, Doom2, Heretic, Hexen and Quake.
Romero wasn't the golden child of id. But he was a valued member of a team of other valued members.
Though, I rarely agree with people who complain about the games id did after Romero left. Quake2 for instance is one of my favorite games ever.

Completely agree. I loved Quake II so much.

they wouldnt, but if they developed an fps purely for gameplay, that would be awesome. taking a step back in the visuals, but having like 150 fps and still looking decent, and being really easy to mod for.

Torr Samaho said:

what's up with romero anyway?

I dunno. Everytime I read up on him it's about some "secret new project" or working for some new company, but I never get any news out of any of it.

<wild rumour> John Romero's current "secret new project" is an old school FPS that's been given the working title "DooM Resurrection". One of the goals of the the project is to tie together the storylines of the Doom, Quake, Wolf3D and Keen franchises into a comprehensible and believable narrative. </wild rumour>

Just because you say it doesn't make it a rumor.

Torr: He's apparently working on a secret MMORPG project or something.

Feh, the all-caps DOOM thing is just corporate bullshit to make the title stand out. English usage and style says that it should be Doom everywhere. Just like "id Software" should be "Id Software".