Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angst929

How do you fix unclosed sectors?

Your question is rather un-specific. It sounds like you're trying to draw a sector, and can't get the vertices to stitch. However I don't know what editor you are using. Tell me more - what editor, and whether you're drawing the sector or have one that's already made but screwed up.

Also, this is probably a question that can be answered by looking at the editor's documentation and help files...

Check ALL linedefs and make sure that every sidedef front and back is pointing to the correct sector. You can have a square sector with 4 lindefs and if one sidedef points anywhere else than that sector, the sector will be unclosed even though the linedefs and vertices are connected.

Magneticdead said:

Check ALL linedefs and make sure that every sidedef front and back is pointing to the correct sector. You can have a square sector with 4 lindefs and if one sidedef points anywhere else than that sector, the sector will be unclosed even though the linedefs and vertices are connected.

Incorrect. The direction a linedef is facing is irrelavent so long as the front side of a linedef is not facing into null space. I often make square sectors with a single linedef facing outward if I want it to be a switch or something. Whether a sector is closed or not is based on linedef sector referencing, not linedef orientation.

@Angst929: Do you have the map you can upload somewhere? It would be much easier for someone to just look at it and tell you what's wrong rather than to speculate. There are a number of scenarios that can cause a sector to be unclosed, so it would be easier just to look at the map. No need to delete the area and start over. Fixing unclosed sectors is probably the most confusing thing to learn to do, but it's actually pretty simple and you probably don't even need to change much at all.

Death-Destiny, you misunderstood Magneticdead. I will clarify this mistake, with the power of MS PAINT-O-VISION.

The green and red numbers indicate the sector references of those respective sidedefs. It doesn't matter whether the linedef is facing in or out, but obviously, the red numbers don't match up with the sector numbers, which is a problem. This is one of many possible forms which an unclosed sector can take, and in my experience, this is actually a rare form of them. But, fixing unclosed sectors is always based on the same principle:

Step one: hold your mouse over all the linedefs in the problem area, and look at the "Front sector:" and "Back sector:" values for that linedef in the bottom left of the screen.

Step two: make sure that those numbers match up with the sector numbers correctly, like the green examples in the picture.

Step three: if they don't match, then right click on that line, click on the "sidedefs" tab, and change the numbers in the "sector" boxes in both the "front side" and "back side" frames to make them correct.

Epilogue: That demo map is now full of BFGs, invulnerability spheres, cells and archviles. Hell yes.