Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Richo Rosai

Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God

I would also add, Lord, that your reputation is involved in all that happens between now and November, because there are millions billions of people around this world praying to their god - whether it’s Hindu, Buddha, Allah - that his opponent wins, for a variety of reasons.

And Lord, I pray that you would guard your own reputation, because they’re going to think that their god is bigger than you, if that happens. So I pray that you would step forward and honor your own name in all that happens between now and Election Day.

Oh, Lord, we just commit this time to you.

Fixed!

An example of how childish politicians can be.

On a similar note, it seems that Allah is challenging Buddha to a cage match. Catch it this Saturday on Pay-per-view! =D

nightmare93 said:

An example of how childish politicians can be.

On a similar note, it seems that Allah is challenging Buddha to a cage match. Catch it this Saturday on Pay-per-view! =D

Hindu will beat them both, I'm sure.

Almost reminds me of Col. Cathcart in Catch-22, who could't accept that soldiers prayed to the same God as officers...

I'm tired of fundamentalist whackos like this guy who think that Muslims pray to a different God than Christians do. Jews, Christians, and Muslims all pray to the same one God.

Someone assassinate this guy, please.

KingKill33 said:

Your god bigger than mine?! *gasps*

"My god has a bigger dick than your god!" ~George Carlin

I've heard shit like this more than I want to. Daily.

(Conan to that thief guy in Conan the Barbarian movie)

Conan says:

-My God, Crom, lives in mountain and rules world from his grey throne!

Thief replies:

-Crom is a lower god, that lives under my God, up in the sky.

(more or less, not the actual script lines).

"Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

Man, if all the gods got involved in a cage match, the Hindus would win because they have tons of gods and they all have like 8 arms each.

Danarchy said:

Man, if all the gods got involved in a cage match, the Hindus would win because they have tons of gods and they all have like 8 arms each.

You heard the preacherman: it's just one god that's named Hindu. :P

The only reason I can imagine someone would say something so retrograde and retarded is if they really wanted McCain to lose. Then again, Republicans have been playing with religious extremist sentiment for some time now, so maybe it's time their policy bit them in the ass.

Maes said:
(more or less, not the actual script lines).

I found 'em, heh:

Conan:
That's Crom, strong on his mountain.

Subotai:
My god is greater.

Conan:
Crom laughs from his mountain at your Four Winds.

Subotai:
My god is stronger. He is the everlasting sky. Crom lives underneath him. 

heh, I like to say sometimes "your god was nailed to a tree. one of my gods carries a hammer. do the math."

Heh. The reason I'm atheist can be summed up in less words than that. Two, in fact.

"Prove it."

GreyGhost said:

Wikipedia:

Epicurus formulated a version of the problem of evil. Though often referred to as the "Epicurean paradox," the argument is more accurately described as a reductio ad absurdum of the notion that an omnipotent, omniscient, and benevolent god could exist in a world that manifestly contains evil. This doctrine, however, is not aimed at promoting atheism. Instead, it is part of an overarching philosophy meant to convince us that what gods there may be do not concern themselves with us, and thus would not seek to punish us either in this or any other life.

Ah yes, the problem of evil. I think evil is necessary for human beings to evolve. In this respect, you could call God un-omnipotent (impotent sounds a bit off...) It could also be that evil is just a part of good, or rather, that evil and good together form a greater good. This greater good can then be combined with evil on its level to constitute an even greater good, and so on and so on. Hence my signature ;)

Most of the bad stuff that happens to us makes us better persons in the end. However, some evil is just so horrendous that you can't possibly reconcile it within the span of one life, so to accept that kind of evil you have to look beyond one life (reincarnation etc) and believe in an afterlife of some sort. This way you can have evil and still an omnipotent and benevolent god.
If there is a god, I believe this is how it works. If there's no god, well then this is just completely irrelevant :P Since both options can't be proven beyond the other (at least to my knowledge), I choose the former (since that one just sounds a lot better).

The problem of evil is interesting and raises a lot of questions if you think about it. Imagine a world where, say, war, murder, rape, torture and other forms of direct physical violence against other people do not exist. No one is even able to imagine such evil acts. The most evil acts in that world would then be things like lying or stealing. As a consequence, they'd be thought to be very, very evil, wouldn't they?

Good and evil aren't a binary system, it's more like a continuum, like say temperature. You can define good because you can define evil, and vice-versa. You can say something is a lesser or greater evil than something else. But no matter how small your range of reference, there'll be a good and an evil side.

Texas Libra said:

Jews, Christians, and Muslims all pray to the same one God.

Not exactly. They don't really have to.

At least as far as Christianity goes, many people basically pray to Jesus which Jews and Muslims would most definitely NOT be praying to.

Gez said:

Good and evil aren't a binary system, it's more like a continuum.

I agree. If we have two different perspectives on good and evil, let's say somebody who has seen much more good and somebody who has seen much more evil, their perceptions of good and evil will differ. #1's definition of evil will be much 'more good' than #2's defition of good. With this you can say that good and evil are relative, yet there also exists an absolute scale. Although I think that we need to define the terms good and evil as the conditions of life (let's call them joy and suffering), rather than the quality of someone's personality. Those are very different things.

Mindless Rambler said:

It is possible for Muslims to pray to Jesus, they do believe he was superpowered prophet of Allah.

No, Jesus was (in the Muslim view) not superpowered. He was just one Prophet like many others before him and one, just one after him.

And praying to a prophet would be idolatry since only God is God. Catholic Christianity allows to pray to saints as "intercessors", asking them to pray God for us; but most other monotheist religions do not have such "middlemen", you pray directly to God. (Indeed, many Protestant churches, especially in the U.S.A., consider this so-called "saints worship" a form of idolatry and paganism. It's a common criticism directed towards the Catholic Church.)

And by the way, in the Christian dogma, Jesus is God. No difference. The Father IS the Son, and the Son IS the Father ("being of one substance"). The first religious wars of Christianity were fought over the exact nature of the Christ, and the Arianists lost.

Evil is a tricky thing. What could be considered evil in one culture could be considered good in another, and vice versa. I think there's only one thing that is considered evil universally, and that is killing or harming others. The only exception to this is doing so to prevent yourself or others from being killed or harmed. The extent and scope of these exceptions is a grey area and the entire reason why wars are fought and bullshit laws get made.

Enjay said:

This doctrine, however, is not aimed at promoting atheism. Instead, it is part of an overarching philosophy meant to convince us that what gods there may be do not concern themselves with us, and thus would not seek to punish us either in this or any other life.

And that's basically the premise of my philosophy. I consider there is a possibility of there being some sort of omnipotent intelligence out there in the universe, but it's either uncaring or subtly malevolent. I really think there isn't, but I wouldn't reject the possibility outright.