Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Greedy EA announces 2 add-on packs for spore

Well what do you know, Spore is just barely out the door with very little gameplay content and EA has already announced 2 add on packs for the game to add some things that i for one would have taken for granted in the original. Bravo bravo EA! For going trough as much effort as possible to make sure that you can suck as much money as possible out of our pockets.

The first one is slated for release this November.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/919/919260p1.html

I think I'm going to upgrade my video card so I can play Spore. I'm having retarded amounts of fun with the creature creator, but it crashes my computer ever so often because of video errors.

Danarchy said:

I think I'm going to upgrade my video card so I can play Spore. I'm having retarded amounts of fun with the creature creator, but it crashes my computer ever so often because of video errors.

DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!!!!! I SPENT OVER 60 DOLLARS ON IT AND I AM STRUGGLING NOT TO SMASH MY COPY TO BITS!

I mean yes the editors are fun alright but don't let that fool you. Read the comments section on article that can be viewed with the above link.

The game blows balls when you are not using the editors.

GreyGhost said:

Cash grab! The Creature Creator is all I'd want - or learn how to use Blender 3D.

They sell the Creature Creator separately for $10. I bought that because the full Spore game looks boring.

hardcore_gamer said:

DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!!!!! I SPENT OVER 60 DOLLARS ON IT AND I AM STRUGGLING NOT TO SMASH MY COPY TO BITS!

I mean yes the editors are fun alright but don't let that fool you. Read the comments section on article that can be viewed with the above link.

The game blows balls when you are not using the editors.

Okay. So why isn't it fun?

In short: NO.

In long: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

destx said:

Yahtzee makes fun of games for money - it's his job. You can't take any of his reviews seriously. Isn't there a thread about this somewhere?

If the game blows so much it should be very easy for you to list the reasons yourself.

HE makes FUN of GAMES for MONEY!

He is the only reviewer i know about that has not given GTA 4 and Halo 3
perfect ratings since they are in fact NOT PERFECT!

Also he does not crap all over video games, only what makes them lame. In his reviews you can also find games that he praises, like Portal and painkiller.

Danarchy said:

Okay. So why isn't it fun?

Because each evolution stage feels like stripped-down version of another game or genre, especially the Civ and Tribal stages.

Huh...aside from the DRM thing (which I just now read about it still seems really fun. I mean, it actually seems like a fun and interesting concept to play through several streamlined games with the same basic characters. So the game seems fun to me from the reviews of its gameplay.

But 3 fucking installs? What the flying cuntfuck? All my favorite games I've installed at LEAST 3 times. Changing computers, hard-drive crashes, limited hard drive space, etc. And I've never shared most of these games with anyone. These people are assholes. It's a shame, because I would have bought it if not for that. Oh well...

destx said:

Yahtzee makes fun of games for money - it's his job.

And the other game "reviewers" who work for magazines etc don't get financial incentives for saying "OMG this game is awesome, game of the year, 99%"?

Not all of them, no. I know at least one of Future Publishing PC mag that has had publishers threaten to cancel advertising deals over a bad review, yet the magazine went ahead and published that review anyway.

Heck, Future's PlayStation Official Magazine gave bad reviews to Heavenly Sword, Lair, and Folklore in the same issue, and those were all games that Sony were massively hyping.

What I'm saying is that his primary objective is to make people laugh. As entertaining as his reviews are, they aren't meant to be particularly informative or truthful.

We know what you're saying. And we're saying that you're wrong. Humor doesn't exclude the possibility of a serious review.

destx said:

What I'm saying is that his primary objective is to make people laugh. As entertaining as his reviews are, they aren't meant to be particularly informative or truthful.

That's just pure bullshit, he may be funny but what he say's makes allot of since most of the time, he points out the flaws in a game in a funny way, but that's STILL pointing out flaws.

So there's a vague posibility that he's serious? Sounds like an excellent base for opinion. Do you also subscribe to the mystic philosophies of Jerry Seinfeld?

The comical element doesn't make the reviews less truthful. Maybe less informative in some senses, but perhaps more illustrative too (it's easier to be frank with humor). Besides, since games aren't serious, why should their reviews be? If their purpose is playing, you can surely review them playfully.

kristus said:
Humor doesn't exclude the possibility of a serious review.

Heh, those aren't the best words to use, but you're right about comedy and humor being pretty useful as a means for criticism, cultural commentary or political observation.

Spore really isn't all that bad... I personally found it pretty fun and somewhat addictive. I'll admit though, the fun value starts to wear off after playing it for a while.
As for the expansion packs... Of course they were going to make them. Spore is from the creators of The Sims afterall, it's only natural that they'd fill Spore's asshole with dozens and dozens of expansion packs until it dies from a fatally shredded rectum.

I don't agree with everything he says, but he does have a knack of putting his finger on those annoying little things in a game that make me say "yup, he's right you know" when most reviewers don't seem to have even noticed them, or at least have mentioned them. To me, that gives him some credibility.

myk said:

Heh, those aren't the best words to use, but you're right about comedy and humor being pretty useful as a means for criticism, cultural commentary or political observation.

You're right. I was struggling to construct a cohesive sentence after "debatting" over at the Skulltag forums.

Enjay said:

I don't agree with everything he says, but he does have a knack of putting his finger on those annoying little things in a game that make me say "yup, he's right you know" when most reviewers don't seem to have even noticed them, or at least have mentioned them. To me, that gives him some credibility.

Of course not. I'd be surprised if you'd ever find a person with which you are in complete agreement with, and if you do. Then you should consider the possibility of you being in love with said person. Or for some other reason lack critical thinking when it comes to that person's opinions and statements.

Well it is a game that took 10 years of developing. They probably went through a number of staff and system changes. So they probably have created the game 10 times from scratch each time to get what they have.

10 years isn't cheap. Expect Spore Superstar and Spore Hot Date and Spore Petz.

I have a PC that can run DOOM3 at Best quality, but I can't even open the Creature Creator.

Stick-figure Spore - for less powerful PC's. EA can't ignore a marketing opportunity like that! :-)