Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Toenail

Vanilla Map Complete!

I really had fun with this map. There's a nice, simple vibe to it. Some of the texturing is a little bit off at times, but rarely. At the end, when the imps rise up out of the ground, I thought it looked silly. And for almost the entire map, I had way too much ammo. Aside from those three things, it's quite solid.

Well, Toenail. Definitely a nice vanilla map; i enoyed it a lot. Definitely a new school style fits well for a Vanilla map. Nice work! ;)

(No Quote button?)
[Ryathean said: Some of the texturing is a little bit off at times, but rarely. At the end, when the imps rise up out of the ground, I thought it looked silly.]

What texturing did you think was a little off, I'll see if I can fix any dodgy textures (I was very careful with texturing so it doesn't turn into a multicolour texture explosion like a lot of vanilla maps)

Also, yes, the imps raising out the sand does look silly, I thought the map was getting too serious so I added those imps, do you think I should have them teleport in instead or perhaps add a lava pool for them to raise out of?

I'm glad you guys like the map, it was supposed to be a map near the start of my megawad (that's why it's so easy), but I think that a megawad is perhaps too ambitious, perhaps I'll make a full 8 map set or something and add a dehacked boss or reskin the nazis as machinegun zombies or something similiar instead

Oh, and spiral staircases are easy to make with Doombuilder, just make a triangle shaped side to a room, use the round-wall tool, then add 'spokes' and use the staircase tool

Captain Toenail said:

(No Quote button?)

The quote button is over the “Post Reply“ button :-P. The level is great. I hope you release it to the archive!

Captain Toenail said:

Also, yes, the imps raising out the sand does look silly, I thought the map was getting too serious so I added those imps, do you think I should have them teleport in instead or perhaps add a lava pool for them to raise out of?

No. I like it the way it is. That setup with enemies raising out of the floor in completely none-obvious places is one of my favorite set-ups. I'd leave it, though you're free to do as you please with your own map. :)

I didn't notice anything out-of-place with the texturing... I actually thought it was pretty nice. The map was easy as has been said, but the gameplay was there (which is what matters), so I enjoyed it. You can release your map stand alone, it doesn't have to be part of some project. I agree that a whole 32 map megaWAD is quite the ambitious project, but I'd recommend perhaps a 5-8 map miniWAD that you can release a bit quicker to get feedback, and that won't seem so daunting. Good work, BTW. :)

Ok. Really nice map. Looked really good, and very enjoyable to play through. The look and the gameplay were just about right imo.

I agree that it was perhaps a little easy, but as a planned first level of a mapset, I thought it was fine. Perhaps you could reduce the health/armor a little (I finished the level with full health/ 75 armor, and through the level I left behind 2 medikits and a green armor, as well as a berserk pack and a mega armor in easy to find secrets.) Perhaps instead of removing them, you could simply flag some of these items to only appear on easy or medium difficulty, to increase the challenge on UV

In regards to the level itself, there were a couple of textures that need alignment. The green brick wall on both sides of this little alcove right near the end. And this wall here could use having the bricks offset so that you don't get those "small" bricks.

Here and here. I thought thses two bright areas could use a "medium" lit sector either side of them to blend them a little better into the darker areas beside them.

In regards to the imps popping up at the end, maybe you could space them out, otherwise it was a bit like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ok 'nuff criticism. The level was very solid. Looked great, played really well. I enjoyed it a lot. The open sky areas at the start and the finish gave a real sense of having cleared the entire building and now moving onto the next area. For that reason, the level really does feel like it should be a part of a mapset, but as Tango said, it would be fine as a standalone map as well.

Great work.