Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MmM

This monster belongs in DOOM

Somebody get that guy a desk. And get him designing monsters for Id.

I wish id Software had made variations of the Revenant, like they did with the zombies, in DOOM 3. In other words, there'd be Revenants that had human skeletons, but also ones that sported skeletons from other DOOM monsters (imps, barons, maggots, etc.)--that'd rock. I guess I'd also very their strengths a little bit, depending on what monsters' skeleton the Revenant was composed of. It'd be a great way to diversify the bestiary a bit more and get some extra mileage out of some of the other monster models (it always bugged me that id's description for a Revenant was a dead demon who'd been picked up, dusted off, and then wired with combat gear, when the skeleton is very obviously not a demon but a human).

That's what this creature reminds me of--some kind of crazy mutated Revenant.

This monster rather belongs in DOOM 3.

What about id putting something like this into DOOM 4?

MmM said:

I wish id Software had made variations of the Revenant, like they did with the zombies, in DOOM 3. In other words, there'd be Revenants that had human skeletons, but also ones that sported skeletons from other DOOM monsters (imps, barons, maggots, etc.)--that'd rock.

Don't expect depth from id's games.

MmM said:

when the skeleton is very obviously not a demon but a human

Albeit an exceptionally tall human.

Quoth the Doom 2 manual: "Apparently when a demon dies, they pick him up, dust him off, wire him some combat gear, and send him back into battle. No rest for the wicked, eh? You wish your missiles did what his can do."

So, the Revenant isn't a human skeleton. (Its Doom 3 reinterpretation is rather blatant in this respect given how its pelvis looks.)

Are we examining Doom3 fore realism?

Anyway that is one sick looking demon, reminds me of the demon/skull motives in Doom3's hell. Say MmM have you played doom 3 from start to finish? I imagine that over the years you have got a new Rig to play more modern games on. The PC I got for $3,100 is now worth close to nothing. you can buy a better mombo for less then $500

While I do agree, this looks stikingly similar to one of the necromorphs found in Dead Space. Can't seem to find a picture right now, I'll post one if I can get it.

Inferno said:

While I do agree, this looks stikingly similar to one of the necromorphs found in Dead Space.

I was going to say the same thing. It's my favourite kind to fight.

Shapeless said:

Are we examining Doom3 fore realism?

Anyway that is one sick looking demon, reminds me of the demon/skull motives in Doom3's hell. Say MmM have you played doom 3 from start to finish? I imagine that over the years you have got a new Rig to play more modern games on. The PC I got for $3,100 is now worth close to nothing. you can buy a better mombo for less then $500

Nope, still using my old Pentium III 550 w/128 megs of RAM. It'd hemorrhage microchips if I tried to run DOOM 3 on it. The most modern games I've got on it are probably Diablo 1 & Starcraft. I know I could get a better rig for relatively cheaply, but I don't have the funds.

MmM said:

Nope, still using my old Pentium III 550 w/128 megs of RAM. It'd hemorrhage microchips if I tried to run DOOM 3 on it. The most modern games I've got on it are probably Diablo 1 & Starcraft. I know I could get a better rig for relatively cheaply, but I don't have the funds.

heh, I'm in the same boat. my rig is about 12 years old. it's PIII also. I don't do much gaming on it. just some doom and emulator stuff. I want to see if I can build one that I can hook up to my future HDtv.

I'd love to see that thing turned into a sprite and such, but I think it'd work best in Doom3. I can't see it working too well in Doom/2 even though I think the design is awesome enough to warrant being turned into a sprite.

Editing posts is possible.

I don't know about that monster; all I can imagine it doing is struggling to stand. As it stiffens its spine-tail to remain upright it trembles from the effort. As soon as it lifts one point of its tripod to attack, it falls flat on its face. Prone on the ground, its claws slide about in a feeble attempt to clutch its prey - prey which is slightly out of its reach, watching this beast with caution but also with pity. The monster lies there submissively, exhausted.

That was amazing!!! It can be a legless revenant :-)

Creaphis said:

The monster lies there submissively, exhausted.

;)

Creaphis said:

Editing posts is possible.

I don't know about that monster; all I can imagine it doing is struggling to stand. As it stiffens its spine-tail to remain upright it trembles from the effort. As soon as it lifts one point of its tripod to attack, it falls flat on its face. Prone on the ground, its claws slide about in a feeble attempt to clutch its prey - prey which is slightly out of its reach, watching this beast with caution but also with pity. The monster lies there submissively, exhausted.

make it float, or leap at the player using its tail.

Creaphis said:

all I can imagine it doing is struggling to stand.

Where's your suspension of belief? In order for a creature from beyond the grave to pose a threat it has to break some of the rules that govern our concept of reality. I'd like to see the beast rip your throat out - despite it's lacking a jaw. :P

From the creator's thread:
The necro reaper is a very agile creature that crawls through air vents and is able to fly short distances. It hides under the ceiling, looking out for it's prey.

Sweet. Definitely could work well as a Doom monster. It also reminds me of something from Deadspace as well.

Mind you, it is called the Necroreaper so I could just be stating the obvious - that it's based off of the Necromorph Scorpion :P

"I'd love to see that thing turned into a sprite and such, but I think it'd work best in Doom3. I can't see it working too well in Doom/2 even though I think the design is awesome enough to warrant being turned into a sprite."

I think MmM meant to have that creature in an upcoming doom game since it goes with the D3 style, And not the original doom.

I haven't played dead space yet but it does resemble the creature someone else mentioned

and Neca is making an action figure of the hero..
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dead-Space-Prototype-Get-The-Action-Figure-Treatment-15342.html