Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StoneFrog

Do zDoom Lumps Require Hexen Format?

One thing I've been wondering for a while. zDoom's lumps such as MAPINFO, do you need to make your WAD Doom in Hexen format for those? Or are those lumps universally recognized when run in zDoom?

I want to know because I want to do some cluster rearranging and whatnot, and would prefer if I could keep the project as "vanilla" as possible.

No. The only thing that requires Hexen format is ACS in a map.
Internally both Doom and Hexen format maps are the same. The differences are only in the loading code.

Graf Zahl said:

The only thing that requires Hexen format is ACS in a map.

And, to add to that, even ACS can be used in Doom format maps - to a certain extent - these days.

How about hubs? They're defined in MAPINFO, but something tells me that they won't be stable (and even linedef exits to a hub) unless it's in Hexen format.

Strife is a hub based game but doesn't use Hexen map format.

If you want to do it in Doom it is possible but it requires some additional work because you'd have to define the linedef types for map travel yourself - but it can be done. Of course without decent scripting capabilities it won't be easy to do cross-map actions.

Is there a reason you are avoiding the Hexen map format? If your project is intended for Zdoom only, you should really consider moving to the Hexen format. The learning curve isn't that steep - most of your Doom format skills are transferable - and the additional possibilities that open up are significant. Doing so will quite possibly make many of the things you plan on doing easier.

I've used Hexen format before, but for this I would prefer Vanilla since there's so many zDoom bashers and I'm not really going to be making that much use of the Hexen format.

StoneFrog said:

... since there's so many zDoom bashers ...

I wouldnt care, you make the map for your own enjoyment and if the other ports cant handle "HexenDoom", their problem.

If you're planning on using ZDoom features either way, what difference does it make? I don't understand why you would avoid the map format that many of ZDoom's features are tailored for, just for the sake of appeasing some supposed group of people who would probably not be playing your map anyway, if they feel that strongly about their dislike of ZDoom (what). o_O