Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have had my Battlefield 2 game for a year now and finally, my scatterbrained demeanor has finally come back to bite me...I lost the manual that had the cd key.

THIS IS BULLCRAP! Why do they put important stuff like that in MANUALS?! It should be taped inside the back of the case where the manual is so you won't lose it!

Anyways, is there a way to find out what my CD key is? I have the game installed in another computer and I think I can get my key from that. Problem is, I don't know how. Uh... Help?

it'll be stored in the registry of the other computer. And, easier than that, most games like that have a way to view it from the menu somewhere.

AirRaid said:

it'll be stored in the registry of the other computer. And, easier than that, most games like that have a way to view it from the menu somewhere.

Thanks, I'll try it out. Seriously, why do they put these important things in a manual? And then, if you lose them, they charge you to make another?! It's all one big scheme, I tell ya! I mean, come on. Hands up. Who has EVER lost a computer manual? Who has ever been punished for making a small mistake such as this? I hate EA even more now and many other companies are guilty of the same crime.

Reminds me of how my friend's copy of Diablo 2 got its CD key rubbed off somehow. He just had it stored away and the ink just rubbed off.

While not quite a lost manual, I do remember when i bought a copy of SoF II and found half the CD key was missing. Unfortunately the shop had a 'no returns' policy on PC games. (because people were often too dumb to check the specs on the back of the box)

So despite explaining to the staff that it wasn't a problem with the game, but rather the CD key, they handed it back to me. Even when I showed them the manual too.

Most No returns policies on PC games are so you don't buy it, copy it and take it back. Still sucks, though.

Oh yeah, there's that too. I know I heard of it happening often enough anyway. Though now I think on it, I remember the staff at the shop always asking if you had checked to make sure it would run on your PC too.

But yeah, still sucks either way. :/

What about it? It's only the natural evolution of these things.

I mean, if you actually thought a mere CD Key stopped pirates, I pity you.

MikeRS said:

What about it? It's only the natural evolution of these things.

I mean, if you actually thought a mere CD Key stopped pirates, I pity you.

So you are saying that secrom is ok? If that's the case, then I PITY YOU!

No, I'm not. However, it's just a pipe dream to think CD-keys is as far as it'd ever go.

CD keys may be easy to crack in single player, but since a lot of multiplayer games have authentication at the master server level where binaries or source code are not available, reverse engineering is impossible.

I for a very long time thought I lost the Doom 3 CD Key... only until I found it right there in the box, hidden beneath a secondary CD I didn't need for playing.