Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GooberMan

Triple J Hottest 100 for 2001 is in!

For those that don't know, the Triple J Hottest 100 is a music poll where normal people take a vote on their best songs for the year. It is recognised the world over as an authoritive music poll. I finally got to listen to the countdown this year (the Sydney Big Day Out is held on the same day as the countdown, and I've been at the Sydney BDO for the past few years cept this year) and there's quite a few good songs in it. I'll paste the list in here. There are some Aussie bands that most of you won't recognise but that doesn't mean that they're not good. In fact, three of the top 5 slots are held by aussie songs (there was a time when it used to be all American songs that held the top slots, so you can't say we're biased). Lüt will be pleased to know that NIN's Deep was up for voting but did not make it in to the list, and Liam will be pleased to find out that Short Skirt Long Jacket by cake was voted #10 song of the year. Anyway, on with the list...

1. alex lloyd - amazing
2. something for kate - monsters
3. system of a down - chop suey
4. basement jaxx - where's your head at
5. john butler trio - betterman
6. alien ant farm - smooth criminal
7. weezer - island in the sun
8. avalanches - since i left you
9. gorillaz - clint eastwood
10. cake - short skirt long jacket
11. garbage - cherry lips (go baby go)
12. the strokes - last nite
13. something for kate - three dimensions
14. tool - schism
15. gorillaz - 19-2000
16. 28 days/apollo 440 - say what?
17. ben folds - rockin' the suburbs
18. rage against the machine - renegades of funk
19. george - special ones
20. weezer - hash pipe
21. fatboy slim - weapon of choice
22. ben harper - drugs don't work
23. pj harvey/thom yorke - this mess we're in
24. gerling - dust me selecta
25. eskimo joe - wake up
26. jamiroquai - little l
27. regurgitator - fat cop
28. jebediah - fall down
29. john butler trio - take
30. machine gun fellatio - the girl of my dreams (is giving me nightmares)
31. eskimo joe - planet earth
32. placebo - special k
33. james - getting away with it {all messed up}
34. eskimo joe - who sold her out
35. dido - thank you
36. radiohead - pyramid song
37. something for kate - twenty years
38. new order - crystal
39. cruel sea - cocaine
40. u2 - elevation (tombraider remix)
41. regurgitator - superstraight
42. whitlams - duffy's song {i will not go quietly}
43. eels - souljacker
44. garbage - androgyny
45. tori amos - strange little girl
46. smashing pumpkins - untitled
47. augie march - there is no such place
48. groove armada - superstylin'
49. tool - parabola
50. paul mac - just the thing
51. nick cave/bad seeds - fifteen feet of pure white snow
52. they might be giants - man it's so loud in here
53. motor ace - hey driver
54. blink-182 - the rock show
55. linkin park - one step closer
56. you am i - kick a hole in the sky
57. you am i - get up
58. jimmy eat world - bleed american
59. the strokes - hard to explain
60. at the drive in - pattern against user
61. daft punk - one more time
62. jamiroquai - you give me something
63. alex lloyd - downtown
64. white stripes - hotel yorba
65. ash - burn baby burn
66. the strokes - new york city cops
67. ben folds - not the same
68. blueline medic - making the nouveau riche
69. unwritten law - up all night
70. rammstein - left 2-3-4 (links...)
71. spiderbait - outta my head
72. living end - roll on
73. muse - plug in baby
74. radiohead - knives out
75. groove armada - my friend
76. avalanches - radio
77. big heavy stuff - hibernate
78. cruel sea - a simple goodbye
79. rem - imitation of life
80. muse - bliss
81. crazy town - butterfly
82. lazaro's dog - home entertainment system
83. ash - shining light
84. the supermen lovers - starlight
85. at the drive in - invalid litter dept.
86. rhubarb - light on your shoulder
87. michael franti/spearhead - rock the nation
88: spiderbait - four on the floor
89. muse - new born
90. new order - 60 miles an hour
91. sum 41 - fat lip
92. george - run
93. butthole surfers - the shame of life
94. Depeche Mode – I feel Loved
95. good charlotte - little things
96. pennywise - authority
97. Superheist – Step Back
98. Faithless – We come 1
99. chemical Brothers – it began in Afrika
100. endorphin – sex and violence

It's too bad I can't copy and paste this list directly into AG. :) A few choices I agree with, and a few I don't get (Elevation?... No.) but most I haven't really heard.

Bah, those aren't the best songs of 2001, just the most catchy songs that were widely distributed and promoted...

I mean uh, the fact that Linkin Park can be found there directly disqualifies the list to be anything better than printable to use as toilet paper.

Bah, those aren't the best songs of 2001, just the most catchy songs that were widely distributed and promoted...

You are exactly right on that...well some are good (radiohead, new order, rammstein...)

Yep, Rammstein being an exception :)

I can't find Fredrik Johansson - Legend of the Evil Fredrik anywhere in the list though.

I can't find Fredrik Johansson - Legend of the Evil Fredrik anywhere in the list though.

so?

what's worse is that Fredrik Johansson - Cirka.mid isn't there

Cirka.mid - the classic :)

Though it was made in 1999 and not 2001.

it still deserves to be among the 2001 songs. Who cares when it's been made? It's the best.

BLASPHAMERS!!! Rammstein rocks, dammit.

I'd love to see an Islamic heavy metal band, that'd be howls, (though since I've never heard that language go with heavy metal, it might be quite good too).

I'd love to see an Islamic heavy metal band, that'd be howls, (though since I've never heard that language go with heavy metal, it might be quite good too).

rammstein's pretty good.

Rammstein are excellent!

Too bad alot of people I know are 'fans' of the band because they sing in german (for most of their songs) sounds 'cool'.

If that's what you're in the mood for, you might want to try System of a Down. They're all Armenian(although they all speak English and were born in LA). The lead singer constantly uses religious references, not to mention he has a unique voice. Only thing is, make sure you buy their debut album first. It's only natural.

But then, if you're just looking for the best metal that's so brutal you'll grow an extra testicle just listening to it, buy Mudvayne's CD, "LD50".

That is all.

At least that list is not 132% retarded. It came out pretty well compared to most top music lists.

Exception from the crap - Rammstein is great.

At least that list is not 132% retarded. It came out pretty well compared to most top music lists.

How true. It's when you see charts with 5ive and westlife on you know you're in trouble...

nah this ios ok, cept I haven't heard of half the shit.

Hmmm...I will competely ignore the validity of this list because:
1. No ohGr
2. They ranked Parabola over Schisms, and didn't even include Lateralus
3. The top 9 songs suck
4. Gorillaz somehow got 2 songs into the top 20

Oh, and when the Hell did Depeche Mode come out with a new album?

Don't forget the evil evil EVIL EVIL horrible HORRIBLE bad BAD LAME LAME DISASTROUS BAD BAD BAD linkin park

Why the hell does anybody care about these things? Listen to whatever the fuck you like, I really dont see why people feel some need to "prove their musics worthiness" by voting in stupid popularity polls.

I never really enjoyed Linkin Park.. but after seeing them live I have much more respect for them. They absolutely kick ass and they have so much energy! And So do Stone Temple Pilots... they were even better

You should really buy a Britney cd and play it... it acts very similar to a cd head cleaner, after playing a Britney cd all your other cd's sound so much better :)

You should really buy a Britney cd and play it... it acts very similar to a cd head cleaner, after playing a Britney cd all your other cd's sound so much better :)

Britney can clean off my head any day ;)

Urgh, Crazy town is on the list.. blah... *reads on anyway*
oh, Tori Amos and Depeche mode =) maybe there's some hope left for me in this world.

oh, Tori Amos and Depeche mode =) maybe there's some hope left for me in this world.

/me slaps the taste out of erik's mouth, than pours some c0ff33 in it

Heh, bash Tori and Depeche mode all you want, just don't say that you even like crazy town a little.. they are the worst band on that list by far imo.

Heh, I heard some Hindu Death Metal on the radio a few years back. It was kinda like regular Death Metal but with Bashibbi-Du-Ah ambience in certain parts. Classic, but I forgot the name of the band and haven't been able to track that song since.

tool and schism is 14 heh dosint anyone get tired of that song, tools the best and all but there are songs thay made that are much better then that one(maby its from me hearing it 10s of thousands of times), i was acually dissapointed with the cd lataralus compared to there other ones

Lateralus isn't as good as Ænema, no doubt about that, but the fact that I'd say it was album of the year for 2001 says something about the state of the music industry... the album was a bit of a let down for me but I still think it rocks. There could have easilly been better albums but instead for the most part we're getting the same old shit repackaged into a brand new band. I admit some of the songs in there are lame (crazy town? linkin park? urgh) but for the most part there are some quite good songs in there.
EDIT: I'm putting advanced orders on Queens of the Stone Age's new album to be my favourite album of the year this year. Comes out within a few months IIRC :)