Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Subatomic

Temple of Takhyshra [FINAL RELEASE]

I've gotten this map now to the point where I feel it's finished. Version 1.5 is final, unless some major, crippling bug were to be found. A few of the engines I tested this with (PrBoom, Chocolate Doom) don't like certain areas in my map. I fixed what I could, but those engines are *NOT* recommended for playing. I use the Doomsday engine, both with and without jDoom addons, and everything looks and works just fine in that--so it's highly suggested you use Doomsday for playing this map.

Without further ado, here's the link:
Temple of Takhyshra.

Screenshots:

First you state in your txt file that this was tested with Vanilla Doom 2, which does not support jumping. I had to jump to get from sector 107 to 108 and also sectors 38 and 55. So it might be worth stating that this wad requires a port that supports jumping - or am I missing something ?

If you want sectors 5, 7, 37 and 38 to flicker, they need to be set to effect 4 and those sectors need a higher light level than their adjoining sectors.

I would have had used sw2skin on line 244, or kept it as it is and given sw2skin to those other lines.

To ensure Doom2 compatibility you should also remove Doom Builder's 3D camera (thing 32000).

hawkwind said:

First you state in your txt file that this was tested with Vanilla Doom 2, which does not support jumping...

D'oh! You're right. I copy/pasted that text from my previous map (which didn't require jumping) and forgot to take that out. I'll update the text.

EDIT #0: Regarding the pillars: Would you suggest I move them closer to one another so that jumping isn't needed, or leave them as-is and just make a note about the map requiring jumping-capable ports? As for the secret area, I may just widen the surrounding area so players can walk behind it; accessable with or without jumping (rocket launcher secret). And I'll add some small stairs for the other secret area (blue skull key).

hawkwind said:

If you want sectors 5, 7, 37 and 38 to flicker...

Hmm... I don't recall having any sectors set to flicker at all. I'll take a look at those sectors and correct them, if need be.

EDIT #1: I checked, those sectors aren't set to flicker. They're set to 38, which is "Floor Lower to Lowest Floor".

hawkwind said:

I would have had used sw2skin on line 244, or kept it as it is and given sw2skin to those other lines.

Where is this? I'm not sure where you're referring to based on the texture name. Can you be more specific?

EDIT #2: Ahh, I see what you mean. Rather than have the eyes closed texture (which implies the button has already been used) I should use the eyes open texture. This has been fixed. Thanks!

myk said:

To ensure Doom2 compatibility you should also remove Doom Builder's 3D camera (thing 32000).

Thank you, I hadn't realized it was still there. I'll remove it now.

Subatomic said:

Where is this? I'm not sure where you're referring to based on the texture name. Can you be more specific?

Did you use Doombuilder? If so, hit F3 which will bring up a "Find" function. Scroll down to find Linedef number, then type in "244"

That will take you to the line which Hawkwind is talking about.

I've finished making all the suggested fixes and changes thus far. See my original post for a download link to version 1.2 of my map.

1.2 is much better but ...

Again, have a look at sectors 5, 7, 37 and 33. You will notice that they have the sector effect 38 - Unknown. This is a Boom type Generalized Sector Effect for Boom type source ports, not jDoom or Vanilla , hence you not seeing any problem.

Ah! I see now where you are confused. You are thinking the line actions, but I mean the sector effect - both 38 !

You misunderstood what I stated re. line 244. It currently uses the same texture as the other similar lines. I was saying basically to now use the "eye closed" sw1skin texture, to make it different from the others.

Re: sectors 5, 7, 33 and 37. Do you mean the linedefs say 38 or the entire sector is marked 38? I was thinking that both the sector and linedef had to be marked with an action. If I understand you though, I only need to mark the linedefs as 38 and *not* the sectors?

Re: the eye textures. I made them indentical so the player would have to guess which one is the button, rather than just making it obvious which to choose. I can see how that might be slightly irritating though, so I've made the button's texture an open eye while all the others are closed.

hawkwind: Okay, I see what you meant about those sectors. Rather than just the linedef having the defined action, the sector was getting the same thing--which isn't a valid selection for sectors. This has been fixed now in 1.3. I've also made the eye texture for the button open, while all the others are closed.

Aside from that, does anyone else have suggestions? Do the rooms each seem unique enough? Do the textures go well together? If you tested difficulty settings, did any seem too easy or too hard?

I know that the red skull key room needs some decorations and light sources, but how about the other rooms? I've not yet thought of a good ending yet either. If you were taken to that last room for one final battle (where the exit button is), would the map seem too short?

Many thanks to those who've helped me thus far, I appreciate it!

---
First post updated with 1.3 download link.

Regarding difficulty settings, I used DeepSea and checked the statistics. I noticed that there isn't much difference with the monsters on all skills and regarding health/ammo, you give more on hard skill. It should be the other way around IMO.

What's DeepSea? It sounds like it could be a handy utility to have.

In the area where that eye texture switch is, originally there was a Spider Mastermind, some Archviles, and Ravenents on Hard settings. That's where most of the ammo and health is located (which is a bit backward for Hard settings, you're right). I had toned it down and removed most of those enemies, but the items/health still remain. It's something I plan to work on after I've finished off adding all the architecture, rooms and such first.

That was fun, and I had a blast with it. I'm a fairly mediocre Doom player, and while I had full health at the end of the level, I was down to a couple of rounds left in the chaingun and only 5 or so shotgun shells. I thought it was very well balanced for my skill level and would make a perfect opening level for a multi-level wad.

Nice work!

Good to hear that, I'm glad you enjoyed playing the level. Keep in mind it's still beta, and I have a lot more in mind to add before it's finished. :D

Original post has been updated with a download link to the final beta version (1.4) of this map. I've also added screenshots. If you find any bugs or have other suggestions, let me know.

Found a few issues with beta 1.4 - the first is probably the most significant.
The final section of the map (after the Red door teleport) has no opposition on HMP difficulty. It's possible to get trapped behind the Blue key pool if jumping's disabled. PrBoom+ HOM's on Linedef 248 before it's lowered. Linedef's 204 & 207 are flagged as "never map".

GreyGhost said:

Found a few issues with beta 1.4 - the first is probably the most significant.
The final section of the map (after the Red door teleport) has no opposition on HMP difficulty. It's possible to get trapped behind the Blue key pool if jumping's disabled. PrBoom+ HOM's on Linedef 248 before it's lowered. Linedef's 204 & 207 are flagged as "never map".

1. What do you mean by "HMP" difficulty?
2. Blue key room -- hadn't thought of that, thank you. I'll fix that.
3. I don't use PrBoom to test or play, just vanilla and Doomsday engine. I'm not sure what I'd need to change to fix the HOM in PrBoom. I'll take a look at that linedef in Doom Builder though, see if I notice anything peculiar.
4. Linedefs 204 & 207 -- I don't know what "never map" means. There's no such flag available in Doom Builder, that I know of or can find. Can you tell me more?

EDIT: I'm not sure why you're seeing a HOM in PrBoom on linedef 248. That wall looks fine to me in both vanilla Doom 2 as well as in the Doomsday engine. If someone else could verify this in PrBoom or another engine, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT #2: The only thing I notice about linedefs 204 and 207 is that they were marked as "Hidden" - not sure why or how, or if that has anything to do with "never map", but that's all I could find. As I said before, I don't use PrBoom, so I don't know if that would fix what you're talking about anyhow.

Subatomic said:

1. What do you mean by "HMP" difficulty?

HMP is an abbreviation for Hurt me plenty. It's basically medium difficulty

Craigs said:

HMP is an abbreviation for Hurt me plenty. It's basically medium difficulty

Thanks for the clarification. As a result, I've boosted the amount of medium monsters to 60, adding to the areas they were absent.

EDIT: First post updated to download version 1.4b, correcting a few minor bugs and increasing monsters on medium difficulty.

Subatomic said:

What do you mean by "HMP" difficulty?

I see Craigs already answered that - also known as "difficulty 3".

I'm not sure why you're seeing a HOM in PrBoom on linedef 248. That wall looks fine to me in both vanilla Doom 2 as well as in the Doomsday engine.

That HOM shows up in Software render engines and has something to do with sector 51 starting above sector 46's ceiling. Some engines also display HOM's in the Red Key room - I'm suprised your "vanilla Doom2" doesn't.

The only thing I notice about linedefs 204 and 207 is that they were marked as "Hidden" - not sure why or how, or if that has anything to do with "never map", but that's all I could find.

Sorry - I was using WadAuthor's terminology, "never map" = "Hidden".

A couple more things I've noticed (making more work for you - sorry) - the door at sector 14 should have it's floor & ceiling heights set to 32, it currently starts buried in the floor. I also noticed texture errors on a few steps that many ports auto-fix. Take a walk around in Chocolate Doom and you'll see what I mean.

GreyGhost said:

I see Craigs already answered that - also known as "difficulty 3".
That HOM shows up in Software render engines and has something to do with sector 51 starting above sector 46's ceiling. Some engines also display HOM's in the Red Key room - I'm suprised your "vanilla Doom2" doesn't.
Sorry - I was using WadAuthor's terminology, "never map" = "Hidden".

A couple more things I've noticed (making more work for you - sorry) - the door at sector 14 should have it's floor & ceiling heights set to 32, it currently starts buried in the floor. I also noticed texture errors on a few steps that many ports auto-fix. Take a walk around in Chocolate Doom and you'll see what I mean.

Ahh, I see what you mean now about sector 51. I downloaded PrBoom and did indeed see the HOM. I have monsters hidden there, so the ceiling has to be higher or they get stuck and the wall won't lower. I might just move the wall forward a bit and put the monsters behind it.

I've fixed the door you mentioned, as well as those linedefs marked as hidden. Not sure how that happened, but it's been corrected.

The red key room... that turned into a bit of a mess with all the different protrusions from the ceiling. Too many sectors within sectors within sectors with varying heights, I think. I'm not sure if that can be saved, other than just making it all one flat height. It looks a bit plain that way though.

I'll grab Chocolate Doom and take a look around at the textures on steps. I'm guessing they're in the lava/blood room? Was having a bit of trouble there in Doom Builder with them.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Wow... I just looked around in Chocolate Doom. Not pretty. I'm not sure what's wrong with those steps, but I do see something "odd" about them. Any idea what needs corrected? The lighting is also extremely bad in Chocolate Doom, almost pitch black in some areas. It all looks fine in Doomsday though, which is what this has been entirely tested in. I may just end up stating in the txt file that "vanilla" is not properly supported--unless I can manage to fix everything that vanilla doesn't like.