Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doctor Faust

Doomed Moon of Mars

Seeing as there's no reference as to why it's doomed (In a real-world astronomical sense, like eventually falling to mars in a billion years) .. it's probabally intentionally referring to our favorite FPS :P

Sorry to bring it to you, but "doom" is a very normal word, not only the name of the game. The article talks about how Phobos is doomed because it will probably be destroyed in a very long time, naturally. Sorry, I don't see how the writer had this game in mind when he wrote this, or any other game for that matter.

GreyGhost said:
I'm betting "his" interests don't include First Person Shooters.

You never know, besides it could be her boyfriend's favorite game or something. But in any case as shown by what I linked to above, websites saying "Mar's moon is doomed" or the like (literally using doomed) have been around for years, so it's possible she didn't write that and likely that she didn't come up with the idea of presenting it like that. Note that these different pages both use "doomed" when they could easily have used other words to indicate Phobos may be destroyed in the future.

udderdude said:

Seeing as there's no reference as to why it's doomed (In a real-world astronomical sense...

The Site said:

In 100 million years or so, Phobos likely will be shattered by stress caused by the relentless tidal forces, the debris forming a decaying ring around Mars.

Of course, you had to read all the way to the second paragraph to get that bit. ;)

GreyGhost wrote: Page Editor: Yvette Smith "I'm betting "his" interests don't include First Person Shooters".

Would you really know if NASA wouldn´t employ a DooM-fanatic crossdresser?! If he/she/it is skilled enough...

And:

My gf plays both Sims and stupid facebook flash games and DooM, and has completed both DooM 1&2, plutonia and tnt and a virtual ton of custom wads. (mostly on "plz don´t kill me i´m a wuss", but still)

She is a real catch, i know...

Alright, time for somebody to edit the Doom intermission locations into that thing.

Seems like a nod to the game.

Doctor Faust, are you a fan of Goethe's work or Marlowe's (or both)? I have only briefly read Goethe's Faust and I really should read the rest.

CodeImp said:

Sorry to bring it to you, but "doom" is a very normal word

To be earnest, I do not believe the author is refering to DooM.

Whatever, we knew Phobos was doomed since December 1993.

Reaper978 said:
Doctor Faust, are you a fan of Goethe's work[/B]

Yes, this nick was inspired by Goethe's Faust.

Reaper978 said:
I have only briefly read Goethe's Faust and I really should read the rest.[/B]

Wow. Did you read the german version? Both parts of the series, or only the first?

It was an English translation of both books. The poetry is mesmerizing, but I have problems paying attention, and finishing involved texts like that is very difficult. I am, however, deep into the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo.

But with Faust, I certainly relate with the dilemma of the learned philosopher obsessed with knowledge yet confused about the meaning of existence.

Phobos and Deimos--whose names are derived from the Greek for fear and panic.

Wow, I didn't know that before. That makes Doom that much more awesome.

Interesting, I always figured Phobos was all grey, now this colour foto shows it has a reddish brown hue.

Tetzlaff said:

Interesting, I always figured Phobos was all grey, now this colour foto shows it has a reddish brown hue.

Considering how close it's proximity is to Mars, it's no wonder it reflects it's more saturated colors off on Phobos.

Anyway, Phobos is doomed. It's orbit is degrading a little bit every year and will crash on to the surface of Mars in a few millennias or thousand millennias. Can't quite recall.

Tetzlaff said:

Pretty cool, as it shows the id artists were accurate in colouring the E1 intermission that way.

Earth's own moon is probably doomed to a similar fate, albeit rather further in the future.

Grazza said:

Earth's own moon is probably doomed to a similar fate, albeit rather further in the future.

I think I remember reading that the Moon is actually slowly leaving Earth's orbit. It is a very large satellite. Perhaps it wishes to become its own planet one day. I bet the Earth will get empty nest syndrome after that. But alas, all planetoids have to grow up eventually.

DooMikE said:

Would you really know if NASA wouldn´t employ a DooM-fanatic crossdresser?!

Nanami?

The Moon (capital M, a.k.a. Luna, Selene, etc.) is indeed slowly getting away from the Earth. Since it is tidally locked, that has the interesting side effect of slowing Earth's rotation, increasing day length ever so subtly. (Or Earth's slowing rotation has the side effect of pushing the Moon away. Don't remember exactly, but these two phenomena are linked.)

The best place to edit in the Doom intermission buildings would be on the crater, unfortunately the angle isn't appropriate.

There are some pairs of craters on Phobos that seem more or less like the ones shown in the game. Such as the ones shown here, near the top. Maybe Drunio and Clustril (see this image)

A funny fact: The escape velocity of Phobos is only about 11m/s. Start to jog and become almost weightless. Don't even think about straferunning - you would leave the surface forever! Going downstairs would be difficult, too. Jumping off a 3 meter ledge (think of the green armor gallery in E1M1) takes bout 30 seconds until you hit the ground - if the Phobos base is built on the dark side of the moon (On the side facing mars, you would have droped only 1m by that time).

I remember watching some sci-fi show once where some soldiers stopped on Phobos or Deimos, and one of them threw a football into orbit.

Orbit of Phobos/Deimos? I'd like to see that. There's no way to make anything orbit either of them. They're not even large enough to become spherical. :p

More like in Armageddon, if "I kick you in the balls..."

kristus said:

Orbit of Phobos/Deimos? I'd like to see that. There's no way to make anything orbit either of them. They're not even large enough to become spherical. :p

More like in Armageddon, if "I kick you in the balls..."

There is actually an asteroid (243 Ida) that is highly irregular and only a few dozen kilometers in diameter that has its own moon. This moon, Dactyl, is less than one kilometer in diameter but it is in orbit around Ida. I'm not sure what course its orbit takes and I imagine that the asteroid has not yet been that thoroughly researched, but it's an interesting fact.

Anyway, I had heard that Phobos will crash into Mars. It orbits closer to its planet than any other cataloged moon in the Solar System, and in fact it rises and sets more than once a Martian day. (Each Martian day is about 23 and a half hours, so Phobos is moving very quickly.)

kristus said:

Considering how close it's proximity is to Mars, it's no wonder it reflects it's more saturated colors off on Phobos.

Are you sure it´s just the reflection of the red light of Mars? It doesn´t really look like that, there are also some silver and grey parts on the moon´s surface. If it was only coloured light, the whole surface would be in that tone, I think. If you have a multicoloured object in the dark, and shine a red light on it, the whole object appears red.