Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Kickin' it Back to 199x ...

So I recently had a PSX fall out of the sky into my posession. I have never personally owned a console before and I am looking for suggestions for some games. I generally love first person shooters and 3rd person shooters. I dont play much else. Can anyone recommend any good platform, action, first person shooter, or 3rd person shooter games for PSX? No fighting/racing/pony/rpg games please, just interested in what's out there. Final Doom is already on my list...

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Action platformer starring the son of Dracula. Has some RPG elements (experience points, stats, inventory).

And "DIE MONSTER! YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD!"

Quake 2 was excellent on the system. As were:

Nightmare Creatures
Silent Hill
Gran Turismo
Bushido Blade
Metal Gear Solid
Armored Core
MDK
Soul Blade

Im gonna have to second Nightmare Creatures. If you can find a copy of that, you will love it. It's got a ton of gothic styled elements and some seriously deadly enemies that should keep you on your toes the whole time your playing it. It's one kickass game.

There's also Final Doom for PSX, which has maps from The Master Levels if you've never played them.

I have Nightmare Creatures for the N64 and it was a unique grungy game that was kind of reminiscent of Blood (Only slightly). If Shadowman came out for the PSX (or was it the Dreamcast) then an I suggest that as well.

If you want a good platformer, try the first Spyro game.

If you didn't play them on the PC, I'd suggest checking out the Tomb Raider games as well, especially the first one.

Technician said:

If Shadowman came out for the PSX (or was it the Dreamcast) then an I suggest that as well.

It came out on both. And it was horrible on Playstation.

King's Field, King's Field II, and Shadow Tower. While they're first person, they're also action RPGs and from what I can remember, challenging as all fuck. If you can find a way to look past/work with those RPG elements, I'd say they're worth a try.

There's also Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown, Duke Nukem: Time to Kill, Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes, Quake II (as someone else already mentioned), Project Overkill, Alien Trilogy, Alien Resurrection, Final Doom (someone else said, too), and Doom. All of these I'd recommend.

HWGuy said:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Action platformer starring the son of Dracula. Has some RPG elements (experience points, stats, inventory).

And "DIE MONSTER! YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD!"

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Did I mention yes?

quake 2 for sure, i have some excellent memories on the psx version.

MDK was not that good... well i didnt like it back then.

looking through my old collection right now....

the only games i have that weren't mentioned are worms armageddon and final fantasy 7. i used to have a whole lot more, but i dont quite remember what they were...

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 for wasted months on end. (Probably less now that I'm not a SK8ING obsessed early-teen, but it's still a pretty fun game.)

Most of them have been mentioned already, but I always liked Soul Reaver myself. Third person action game. I never really had many games for my PSX, although Resident Evil 1-3 were fun, as well as Silent Hill if you like survival horror at all.

Bucket said:

Armored Core

I second this wholeheartedly; the PS1 version of the AC series is awesome. If you enjoy the first you'll love Project Phantasma and Master of Arena [especially].

Jello said:

Most of them have been mentioned already, but I always liked Soul Reaver myself. Third person action game. I never really had many games for my PSX, although Resident Evil 1-3 were fun, as well as Silent Hill if you like survival horror at all.

OH, man, how could I have forgotten these?
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Medievil is an underrated classic in my opinion. I never really see this game mentioned anywhere, but it is definitely an excellent game worth checking out. It also has a sequel, though I haven't had a chance to play through it yet. I remember the first couple of Crash Bandicoot games being fun little platformers, but it's been years since I last played them. I'm also going to recommend Castlevania: Symphony of the Night again, because it's just that awesome.

brinks said:

Medievil is an underrated classic in my opinion. I never really see this game mentioned anywhere, but it is definitely an excellent game worth checking out. It also has a sequel, though I haven't had a chance to play through it yet.

definitely. I loved that game. The sequel was fairly good too. I liked being able to take my head off and stick it on those little hands that you see running around.

That said though, the first was the best by far. Just wish I still had my copy. :/

Although you say no racing games, I have to recommend the original Twisted Metal, because although it involves cars, it is not a racing game at all. More like an FPS where you drive, so I suppose it fits in the general "action" genre. I had a lot of fun with that game back in the day. The 2nd one's not too bad either. The 3rd is where the series went to crap.

The other 2 Spyro's are also fantastic (somebody recommended only the first; I love all 3 of the original series).

I liked Jumping Flash too. Finding that game now would probably be virtually impossible though, given its status as a massive flop in the states :P You play a giant robotic rabbit in that game that can jump in the air multiple times. As you unlock new game modes, you end up being able to jump higher and higher until you can go so high that you cannot see the ground underneath you any more. Pretty ridiculous and has a great sense of vertigo throughout.

Jumping Flash? I remember playing that as a kid. I haven't played it for years though and I'd really like to.

Joshy said:

As far as I remember, Syphon Filter was a pretty good game on PSX.

For some reason, the words "Syphon Filter" are just rattling around in my brain, even though the info I can find about the game doesn't ring any bells. Why does that game mean something to me?

It had a bunch of sequels, basically Metal Gear Solid distilled down to its most Western action movie parts starring Scowl McDarkpast.

Well I owned the first Syphon Filter, but gave it to my little brother, and I rented the third. The first one was kind of fun, although the running animation made it look like he forgot his belt and was trying to keep his pants from falling down. Still, shooting a sniper on top of a roof on the far side of the road and setting him on fire still remains in one of my favorite gaming moments.

Quasar said:

The other 2 Spyro's are also fantastic (somebody recommended only the first; I love all 3 of the original series).

Yeah, I suggested the only the first one. The second game was really frustrating for me, so I didn't bother with the third one.

Technician said:

I have Nightmare Creatures for the N64 and it was a unique grungy game that was kind of reminiscent of Blood (Only slightly). If Shadowman came out for the PSX (or was it the Dreamcast) then an I suggest that as well.

Oddly enough, I have a perfectly working copy of nightmare creatures for the PC (which I acquired second hand). I haven't played it yet though... Maybe I should.

Silent Hill times one million. I actually just played the entire main series about 16 hours a day over the last week or so, and still none of them can hold a candle to the first one.

And to name one that hasn't been named yet, off the top of my head, the first Tenchu was severely awesome.

Excluding pony games, however, it's hard to think of anything...

Twisted Metal 1 and 2. The 3rd game is okay, as it still follows the "World Tour" theme of the second game, but the controls are WRETCHED, the physics are moderately retarded and the actual level design is pretty unsatisfying. Don't bother wit the forth game as it's essentially the same thing, except the controls are improved. So just stick with 1 and 2.

And yeah, the first Spyro game, wow. Minimalist platformer with incredibly vivid, imaginative environments and great voice acting. The other Spyros for PSX try too hard to add all these extra elements which end up making the game less appealing.

IQ: Intelligent Qube, or whatever it was called. I only played the demo, but quickly grew to love it. I'm sure the retail version is lots of fun.

PO'd: Duke Nukem-esque first person shooter. Can't tell you much else as I haven't played it, but I'd say, get it for its obscurity alone. Apparently you're a chef on a space station fighting enemies such as walking butts.

I have PO'd and IQ. The former has a place in my heart although I don't remember if it was any good, because it was back when I had just played Doom and FPS games were still a novelty to me. Nothing special really, but I remember enjoying it. Had a cool flying jet-pack thing.

IQ seemed good, but puzzle games make me feel stupid. Or rather, they remind me that I'm stupid.