Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lich

ZDoom32? CC5? An excuse to make 32 more original kickass levels...?

Well, it's been a while since I've thought about creating new Doom levels. It's nice to be back and hopefully I see a few familiar faces around the joint. If you've worked with me, give a shout. I'll probably remember.

Anyway, I'm looking to do one last solid effort before I call it quits on my doom editing "career". I've spent some time here and there mapping again and I'm finding I missed it.

Now to the point. Some time ago I did a PWAD collection of 32 levels for Doom 2 called Doom32. This wasn't all my work, it was all original levels from 32 authors, and they were levels that had been released into idstuff already.

I'd like to do this again, but I'd like to do it right. Doom32 had a lot of shitty stuff in it. Call it my 13 year old sense of "aesthetic" at the time. Some of the levels were awesome, others were lackluster and a few were even pretty abysmal. I added custom music and sounds and some menu/title graphics and by the time I was all done, it ended up just being an afront to good wad designers everywhere. And this time I'd like to see all original levels for it, designed to work under and take advantage of ZDoom. Would anyone be game for this?

And before I get slapped for not lurking, I do realize that Community Chest 4 has been under way. When I saw the thread, I wanted to get in on it, but it seems like it's all been sealed up. I'd either like this to be a project under a separate moniker, or if no one minds, I'd head up CC5.

Sort of depends on what you all think. Can I get some feedback? It's not exactly a new idea, but the world wouldn't be the worse for 32 new levels of meticulously designed, awesome Doom levels.

You could try to instigate a project like this over in the ZDoom forums, but you'd have better luck waiting for someone who's more well-known in the community to start a project like this, as people don't like to join projects lead by people they don't know much about. Talented mappers nowadays tend to be quite stringent with their time.

Even if you could drum up some interest, 32 high-quality ZDoom-specific maps might just not be a realistic target.

But I still wish you the best.

In before newproject tags.

This won't happen. In particular if you ask here. But to get a project like this off the ground you need some reputation in the mappers' community. And even then it'll be a hard task to see it through.

Graf Zahl said:

This won't happen. In particular if you ask here. But to get a project like this off the ground you need some reputation in the mappers' community. And even then it'll be a hard task to see it through.

ZDCMP2 anyone? Everyone knows what happened to it, even it had "lol awesome" mappers, it still died in a very cruel way

I'd prefer 32 more original kickass levels of Heretic. Or Hexen. Or Strife. Or, heck, even ChexQuest. Good Doom levels aren't hard to find.

Probably best if I waited for CC5, then. Although the prospect of doing an episode replacement of Heretic with a few folks would be a lot of fun as well. What I'm really looking for is an excuse to do a good map collection with some folks and I would be down with changing the game. Although Heretic is most appealing to me out of the others...

Thanks, dude. I posted to sign up for one of the available E5 map slots. I should have lurked a little more, I suppose. :)

A mod can feel free to close this thread if they want to. I don't think I'll get anyone on board for this idea and I'll join CC5 if there is one. That or if someone drops on CC4, I'll take up a slot there.

Lich said:

That or if someone drops on CC4, I'll take up a slot there.

This is inevitable. Just keep your eyes open.

Hmm, I've always wanted to be apart of a community project, but I do have a tough time finishing maps. But so far after I took a year off Doom and started making my new one, I think I have improved time and quality-wise.

Given that the general consensus here is that there won't be enough manpower, maybe just hang onto it in case a CC4 slot opens up, or if there's a CC5. After some thought of my own, everyone here is right. It's very difficult to get people together on these types of projects and make them work out alright. Probably best to join a community project that needs it. The Heretic Treasure Chest does need another mapper for the E5M7 slot, that is, if it hasn't been taken since last night...

I am theoretically down with this whole 32-map zdoom idea, but as others have said I doubt the chances of it actually working as things stand. For one thing, many mappers (myself included) are currently busy with CC4 until the new year. For another thing, I have yet to learn the nuances of zdoom mapping, since I am currently trying to learn the ways of Boom. I have a few good maps in my head/on paper to work on after CC4, but they are not necessarily zdoom maps. And personally I prefer classic doom over heretic/hexen, which I don't give a crap about, but that's just me. I would be just as happy to make my maps on my own as to submit them to a community effort, if the majority wants to do heretic/hexen maps. I applaud the effort to do things like this, but as I said I don't think it should start to happen until CC4 blows over, and even then you'd have to gather good mappers who actually have time and willingness to work for that specific project.