Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Triggering new sounds with zdoom in hexen format?

Can i make certain sounds play on certain places when triggered in a map?

Say i have a new sound, and i want it to play when i enter a room, how would i do that? Also where would i put the sound file and in what format would it have to be in?

There are a few different ways to play a sound in Zdoom. If I just wanted to play a sound once as I entered a room, I would play a sound that I had defined in SNDINFO using a script. However, if I wanted a sound to play constantly whilst I was in a room, I would activate an ambient sound thing that was set to constantly play the sound and deactivate it again when I left. Again, as with all sounds, it would require some definition with SNDINFO.

You may find the information here useful

http://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO

Enjay said:

There are a few different ways to play a sound in Zdoom. If I just wanted to play a sound once as I entered a room, I would play a sound that I had defined in SNDINFO using a script. However, if I wanted a sound to play constantly whilst I was in a room, I would activate an ambient sound thing that was set to constantly play the sound and deactivate it again when I left. Again, as with all sounds, it would require some definition with SNDINFO.

You may find the information here useful

http://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO

mmmmmmmm k, i am still struggling to understand this, so here is what i have to do, right?

1. create a new lump in my WAD and name it SOUNDINFO, write something into that lump, add some sounds directly into the wad itself and make a script in Doom Builder to fire the sound? Am i correct?

Plz help me with this! I know how to script and stuff, the only thing i need to know is what i am suppose to put/do and in what order.

I made a small test map a few months ago when I was still wrapping my head around Doom editing and ACS scripting that might be of some use for you. There's a ton of ambient sounds, some SNDSEQ examples, and a few ActivatorSound examples that should hopefully get you pointed in the right direction.

You can download the map from here. The actual map design is pretty tragic, and is overall very, very short, but like I said, there are a few examples of different sounds. Hopefully it'll be of help to you.

alien8 said:

I made a small test map a few months ago when I was still wrapping my head around Doom editing and ACS scripting that might be of some use for you. There's a ton of ambient sounds, some SNDSEQ examples, and a few ActivatorSound examples that should hopefully get you pointed in the right direction.

You can download the map from here. The actual map design is pretty tragic, and is overall very, very short, but like I said, there are a few examples of different sounds. Hopefully it'll be of help to you.

I will try it out thanks!

EDIT: Ok i took a look at the wad inside Doom builder and Slumped but this still makes little sense to me, are the any detailed instructions somewhere how to do this?

hardcore_gamer said:

1. create a new lump in my WAD and name it SOUNDINFO, write something into that lump, add some sounds directly into the wad itself and make a script in Doom Builder to fire the sound? Am i correct?

Yup, that's pretty much it. However, I've put a simple demo together for you so that you can see it in practice.

The switch on the left plays a sound from a map spot back near where the player start is.

The switch on the right plays a sound at full volume all over the level. If your map is intended for multi-player, you can use localambientsound instead of ambientsound in your script to only play the sound for the actor who activated the script.

http://www.zshare.net/download/5063641546dd9adc/

Enjay,

Do you still have that example wad by chance? I'm struggling with defining a sounds in SNDINFO to be played in game.