Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bullsquid

3d models for gzdoom

I have been trying to search for this lots of times but never found any real answer. i know gzdoom support 3d models but where can i download them?

I mean models like Jdoom and risen3d use. Full 3d models for monsters, items, weapons and hud weapons.

The reason im looking for this is that i use risen3d for it's look but many cool wads are only playable in zdoom. I have been so used to 3d models by now so i just cant play with sprites anymore.

It's possible (although not endorsed by all respective authors of the packs) to export the 3d models in the 3d model packs for use with GZDoom. This is probably the closest you can get to what you are looking for.

You mean i can use the same models for jdoom/risen3d in gzdoom?
Ok and how do i do this?

Also is there any high resolution textures available too?

Any model that works with Doomsday should also work with GZDoom - the fun part is creating the MODELDEF lump - good luck with that. Hi-res texture packs for several ports can be downloaded from here.

GreyGhost said:

Any model that works with Doomsday should also work with GZDoom

That is not true. There are numerous features in Doomsday's model system that are not available in any other DOOM ports currently. Testament to this is the fact that the jDRP Alpha package that was released many months ago could not even be used with Risen3D (let alone GZDoom) due to missing features. Since then a special version of that package was put together especially for Risen3D but to do so many of the effects and features had to be cut in order to get it to work.

Yeah, it would be fairer to say that GZdoom supports MD2 and MD3 models but the specific details of individual models can vary and how those details are supported (or not) will vary from port to port and a model may require some adjustment to transfer it from one port to another. Often this will merely be writing a definition file but, as DaniJ said, there are some things that JDoom does that other ports can't and that would either have to be lost when transferring the model to another port, or possibly emulated some other way with, no doubt, varied levels of success.

Erm, most of those models ARE either the ones I created for jDoom or the age-old Team SOG models, bar a few exceptions. Some of which have had their skins tweaked. Funny, I don't recall being asked whether they could be re-released :P

DaniJ said:

Funny, I don't recall being asked whether they could be re-released :P

So link censored.

DaniJ said:

That is not true. There are numerous features in Doomsday's model system that are not available in any other DOOM ports currently.

My mistake - I read the Doom wiki and jumped to a conclusion only to discover it couldn't support the weight of my assumptions. If I've nothing better to do later on I'll try scripting definitions for some of the models.