Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eternus

Dark Techbase Style Monsters

Greetings to all of Doomworld, I've been working on a fairly complex dark techbase using the Quake 2 textures uploaded and compiled by Afterglow. Now that I'm 1/3 into forming the base, I realize that it's theme is much different from that of anything that most of the Doom 2 monsters fit into. So my question is, does anyone know of any monsters that might fit into this:

In my defense, the second one is an unfinished room, the Deco looks terrible.

I can already imagine how cool imps, chaingun guys, and shotgun guys would look in some of those rooms.

A mancubus or Arachnatron would be pretty fitting too.

Creaphis said:

Keep in mind that us Doom veterans are used to seeing Doom monsters in anything.

Including sexual positions.

I'd include Nailgun zombiemen, and new former humans in general -- to add variety to the mass of Shotgunners, Chaingunners and Imps from everywhere. Railgun Arachnos may also go well there.

/necromancy

Sorry I never replied, I've been hard at work with the WAD and now it's about 2 hours from release if everything goes well...at least...the first part of this 3 or 4 map WAD.

And I suppose I meant that the monsters aren't challenging enough for my vision, not as much as they don't fit in the scenery.

EDIT: Actually, give me a week to finish it.

printz said:

I'd include Nailgun zombiemen, and new former humans in general -- to add variety to the mass of Shotgunners, Chaingunners and Imps from everywhere. Railgun Arachnos may also go well there.

my thought too. imo, the cyborg monsters (cyberdemon, arachnos, mancubus) and the weapon wielding former humans fit this dark / decayed technical environment best.
their power comes from some visible technology, they don't fart balls of lightning.
so, instead of barons (the classical image of satan), archviles (magic wtf?) or the gothic styled revenants, which have always looked silly to me with their red pants,
i suggest using the following from the bestiary:
floaters: arachnophyte (floating arachno, pretty cool imo), perhaps defiler to match the grey-brownish maps
blood demon (half cyborg demon)
cyborg creatures: hectebus, incubus, cybruiser
robots: terminator
zombie horde: chaingun major, double chaingunner, nailborg, z-sec
bosses: source guardian (duke3d), supreme fiend, demolisher, annihilator.

Well doom monsters can always be challenging if placed in the appropriate areas. Revenants and archviles in the same rooms are disasters. Groups of Mancubi are frustrating, chaingun guys, shotgun guys, and imps on high ledges are annoying, A pair of pain elementals is rarely a predictable fight.

I would advise against going to heavily into the decorate monster department. I have nothing against epic boss battles, but if your map contains a majority of new monsters I may be less interested in playing it.