Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

CoD4 kills teen

Was he lured via CoD4 into the arms of a murderous nutjob after he couldn't play anymore and ran away? Or did he just runaway as a reaction due to withdrawl and just got offed by a non CoD4 playing nutter?

Seems like Microsoft are investigating his online "connections" to discover or rule out if someone he played with did the killing.

This is the area in which I live and everybody was looking for him. I believe the posters said 50,000 rewards. My dad was blaming the "internet" (I fuck you not) to leave and join a cult.

I figured he left home and a predator snatched him up. I'm curious to what really happened. It he just sits down and freezes to death?

according to the article above, the police do not suspect foul play at the moment. that probably means his body didn't show any signs of struggle or injury. that suggests to me that he most likely died of hypothermia.

lol

Why does the thread title say CoD4 kills teen? The article just barely mentions the game and does not blame it for the kids death as far as i could see. Perhaps the thread title was just intended to get more people on the forum to look at it. In that case you just wasted my time. Thank you.

We like to say in this forum that those who think games are dangerous are fools, but, you know, they kind of are. Online games are a powerful drug - they allow those people in very unfortunate social situations to think they're getting social contact when they aren't. As this effect weakens, the ensnared player needs to spent more hours online to get whatever happiness he can still get, and to avoid the painful reality that's always there. This is a vicious circle, as it makes it less and less likely for the individual to meet a real person, and therefore, the game entrenches its place as the gamer's only source of happiness. This is the same pattern that turns people into alcoholics and meth-addicts. Now, the vast majority of the human population can play an online game without getting hooked. But by the same token, most of us just drink casually and haven't tried an illegal substance since that joint in tenth grade.

Of course, that doesn't explain why this guy left his room long enough to go get murdered.

Massive ground and air searches by police and hundreds of volunteers -- even help from clairvoyants --

EVEN HELP FROM CLAIRVOYANTS yielded nothing? My golly!

hardcore_gamer said:

Why does the thread title say CoD4 kills teen? The article just barely mentions the game and does not blame it for the kids death as far as i could see. Perhaps the thread title was just intended to get more people on the forum to look at it. In that case you just wasted my time. Thank you.

It's AndrewB. He's all about the shock and ball torcher.

Ugh, I'm tired of these articles about games being bad for you. I had my games taken away from me when I was a kid and I turned out fine. The real fault here was not the mom or game, it was the kid's fault for acting like this. And by the way, she shouldn't "give up" on God, she should instead look up to him like Job, but I digress.

So, whatever, I really don't care for stuff like this but, man, people can be stupid sometimes...

herooftime1000 said:

And by the way, she shouldn't "give up" on God, she should instead look up to him like Job, but I digress.

I agree. Now, despite my beliefs being what they are, I still admire some kinds of religious faith (and not others). The funny thing is that people seem to be able to hold onto their faith if adversity is the norm, like in poverty-stricken African societies. Here, we're so used to our comfortable lives that when something bad actually does happen, our reaction is "Well, it looks like God isn't making my life perfect. Fuck 'im."

WHOOPS, this isn't the religion thread. Please continue your prior discussion.

He may well have been addicted to the game in which case you could argue that it's the withdrawal symptoms that killed him - not the game.

herooftime1000 said:

Ugh, I'm tired of these articles about games being bad for you. I had my games taken away from me when I was a kid and I turned out fine. The real fault here was not the mom or game, it was the kid's fault for acting like this. And by the way, she shouldn't "give up" on God, she should instead look up to him like Job, but I digress.

So, whatever, I really don't care for stuff like this but, man, people can be stupid sometimes...

Where in the article does it say games are bad for you?

As for Job, I haven't seen him around here for a while now...

Creaphis said:

I agree. Now, despite my beliefs being what they are, I still admire some kinds of religious faith (and not others). The funny thing is that people seem to be able to hold onto their faith if adversity is the norm, like in poverty-stricken African societies. Here, we're so used to our comfortable lives that when something bad actually does happen, our reaction is "Well, it looks like God isn't making my life perfect. Fuck 'im."

WHOOPS, this isn't the religion thread. Please continue your prior discussion.

Really? Because almost every time I hear of a tragedy and God is mentioned, the people are saying that it's all part of God's plan, or God works in mysterious ways, or the person is in a better place, or God is testing our faith. I've never heard of anyone saying they don't believe in God's existence after a tragedy however. I live in a rather heavilly religious area so that may be part of the reason, but it seems the same in stories from New York to Azerbaijan. In times of personal crisis and doubt, folks need something to cling to and give them hope, and religion has always been quick to snap up that opportunity.

The game didn't kill him. The lack of the game did. :P

The parents banned him from COD and he went outside in a huff with his dad telling him: "Fine, pack your bag and make sure you bring a warm coat".

Jello said:

Really? Because almost every time I hear of a tragedy and God is mentioned, the people are saying that it's all part of God's plan, or God works in mysterious ways, or the person is in a better place, or God is testing our faith. I've never heard of anyone saying they don't believe in God's existence after a tragedy however. I live in a rather heavilly religious area so that may be part of the reason, but it seems the same in stories from New York to Azerbaijan. In times of personal crisis and doubt, folks need something to cling to and give them hope, and religion has always been quick to snap up that opportunity.

Well, I generalized from the example of the Mom in the article. People react differently due to individual differences and social contexts.

Also, note that when people say, "God works in mysterious ways," or something along those lines, 99% of the time they're talking about something that happened to somebody else.

Long story short, the kid made a million friends with a bunch of Call of Duty 4 nerds who always talk about how cool Call of Duty 4 is, and how great Call of Duty 5 is going to be.

The kid chooses these people as his ideal friends because he, as well as the other nerds are in love with the game. Parents realize that the kid is in too much love with the game and is losing his grip on reality. Parents take the game away from, kid throws a hissy fit and leaves the house.

Shortly later, kid found dead. Probably due to knowing more about Xbox Live than real life. Had he knew more about real life, he'd probably be happy doing something else than wrapping his hands around a sweaty xbox controller for 18 hours a day.

I for one, being a former addict of Runescape friendships, clearly accuse the combination of combining Addictive gaming with a false social world where you can interact with other people who love the same thing you do, the stupid fucking game. Single Player all the way.

- Brandon Crisp goes "BRB COD4" and freezes to death just a couple kilometres from his house = great example of natural selection.

- His mom "gives up on God". Hopefully for realz and not in a huff like her retarded kid.

- One less under-aged COD4 player on XBL.

I'm not trolling; I actually think this was the best thing for mankind, ever.

JohnnyRancid said:

I for one, being a former addict of Runescape friendships, clearly accuse the combination of combining Addictive gaming with a false social world where you can interact with other people who love the same thing you do, the stupid fucking game. Single Player all the way.

Hey, same here. Now you know the experiential background behind my first post in this thread.

Yeah, my roommate does next to nothing aside from playing WoW. He doesn't clean or leave the house aside from work or anything. I used to be a bit of a WoW addict myself. I spent most of my free time playing the game. Sure, I'd go to hang out with friends whenever they called, but I played the game in lieu of anything productive like cleaning my room or practicing guitar or going for walks.

As I grow older, I'm finding less and less room for games in my life. Kind of sad, but I'm having more fun these days than I ever did.

Creaphis said:

Hey, same here. Now you know the experiential background behind my first post in this thread.

Yeah I'm trying to get my little brother off the xbox live community, and it was a lot easier to do quoting a lot of the shit you said.

I basically told him that the best thing he can do is unplug his mic and never talk to any of them again. Who cares if they don't know why, they might get pissed off for a couple minutes, but they'll just move one because they dont know you, know anything about you, what you look like, what you like to do, other than halo, etc. He was convinced for the night because I kept badgering him about it. He went on to play duke nukem on a deathmatch without talking to anyone. He even said it was more fun when he didn't have to depend on anyone. But he fucking went right back to playing with his "friends" this morning. I was pissed.

There's nothing wrong with the games themselves, I played a bit of Halo and a lot of CoD4 myself, but I never interacted with anyone unless it was to be a jackass and bully the hell out of some people, or if I was playing it with one of my REAL friends that I know in real life. There's a point where you play the game to have fun with the game (The same way I play Doom) and a point where you are playing the game because you feel like you need to, because it's your only gateway of communication with people who love talking about Halo. If I can break my brother away from that point I will feel soooooo releived.

JohnnyRancid said:

Long story short, the kid made a million friends with a bunch of Call of Duty 4 nerds who always talk about how cool Call of Duty 4 is, and how great Call of Duty 5 is going to be.

The kid chooses these people as his ideal friends because he, as well as the other nerds are in love with the game. Parents realize that the kid is in too much love with the game and is losing his grip on reality. Parents take the game away from, kid throws a hissy fit and leaves the house.

Shortly later, kid found dead. Probably due to knowing more about Xbox Live than real life. Had he knew more about real life, he'd probably be happy doing something else than wrapping his hands around a sweaty xbox controller for 18 hours a day.

Agreed. Kid just had a very horrible way of balancing himself and could not handle it.

I agree with Creaphis. Games, especially online games, are like drugs and can be addictive. I'm currently in the process of becoming a drug & alcohol counselor. In a physiology and pharmacology class, learned that video games can be as addictive as drugs and in fact, if you were to do a brain scan you would see that the areas that light up the brain when doing "uppers" type drugs like coke and meth are the same areas that light up when certain individuals are addicted to games.

Danarchy: Same situation. Older I get, less time I have for games. A little sad but I find myself interested in other things that are as fun. BTW, I love your avatar and caption. LOL!

It's not just the "false social world" that is created in the online environment. It's the competition.

When you have the possibility to show off your skill level, either through overall stats or placement in a deathmatch tournament, you want to keep going at it until you can proudly (and pointlessly) proclaim that you're truly better than everyone else.

And after that, you still don't put the game down, because you want to continue showing how much better you are than everyone else. The competitive nature of men (and some women) makes it extremely difficult to turn away from the virtual glory.

GoatLord said:

It's not just the "false social world" that is created in the online environment. It's the competition.

When you have the possibility to show off your skill level, either through overall stats or placement in a deathmatch tournament, you want to keep going at it until you can proudly (and pointlessly) proclaim that you're truly better than everyone else.

And after that, you still don't put the game down, because you want to continue showing how much better you are than everyone else. The competitive nature of men (and some women) makes it extremely difficult to turn away from the virtual glory.

That's incredibly narcissistic. More along the lines of getting respect for your skill. Not necessarily to be the best, but to be among the best perhaps and to be respected in that community for it.

And it's not any more virtual than to win the Olympics really. Respect is earned in the same way, and the people who respect you for it aren't any less real than those who respect an athlete for winning at the Olympics. It's just the perception of the two that are different.