Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Enjay

The origins of Massmouth?

This is something that I have been wondering about for some time now. Where does the character Massmouth come from? I don't mean which planet or anything. I mean who invented him and what did he originally feature in?

Originally, I thought it was all down to Cyb. However, over the years, I've found a few references to Massmouth in a number of apparently unrelated, or loosely related, places (sometimes nothing to do with Doom at all) and with Massmouth stuff by different authors.

So, what's the skinny?

Although I am not sure, I always thought the original Massmouth came from this model by Stephen Monteith. I found several other models which are used as sprites in Massmouth 2 as well, such as this and this. I remember more..but the site seems to be a little borked at the moment.

Of course you may have already seen all of that =P.

EDIT: Masterofdeath beat me =o.

I was aware of the quake model, but wasn't sure if it came before or after the Doom mod.

I'd also considered the Yorp as a possible source of inspiration/an ancestor, but found nothing to say for definite whether it was a genuine link or merely a coincidental look alike.

I doubt it's coincidental, except perhaps in being subconsciously inspired. The main difference is that Massmouth has arms, but it should need them to wield a weapon.

And the text file probably gives as much of a clue to Massmouth's origin as we are likely to get

This character was originally full character made by me in Lightwave 3d 5.6