Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
walligig

2 very random doom questions

first off i always wandered. is the archvile pernounced "Ark Vile" or "Arch Vile"? and second is when you start up doom2 and the whole picture with the doom marine and cyberdemon comes up. has anyone ever noticed the rocketlauncher on the cyberdemon is on the wrong arm? lol ya i know these questions are random but im a v ery curious person

I've always said it "arch" rather than "ark"

And no I hadn't noticed the rocket launcher is on the wrong arm. Heh. Possibly he was a left handed cyberdemon.

Arch - a prefix signifying chief - pronounced as spelt.
-arch - a suffix meaning a ruler (such as monarch) - pronounced ark.

The cybie in that title picture is from a limited production run on April Fools Day 1995, they're rarely encountered in the game. In truth - I don't know why the image was flipped.

The title screen seems to be this picture mirrored and then altered, which would explain the arm.

As for why it was flipped, I suspect they'd rather hide the "M" with the tall cyber than the "D" because the vertical size of the title screen is much shorter.

walligig said:

first off i always wandered. is the archvile pernounced "Ark Vile" or "Arch Vile"?

Weird, I was just thinking of making a thread asking this same question not long ago but didn't have the balls to do it.

I always pronounced it Ark-Vile, but I've never actually talked to anyone in real life about Doom's arch viles, and anyone I've ever mentioned arch-viles to, I had always pronounced it ark-vile to them, so I'm probably doing an injustice teaching people the wrong pronunciation of the word.

I prefer Arch-vile pronounced as such, simply because Doom 2's plot isn't deep enough to deserve unusual pronunciations like Ark-vile.

printz said:

I prefer Arch-vile pronounced as such, simply because Doom 2's plot isn't deep enough to deserve unusual pronunciations like Ark-vile.

O_o

Care to explain?

Weird. I just now noticed my own behaviors regarding pronunciation of the "arch" suffix and prefix. I always pronounced arch-vile and arch-bishop as "ark", and arch-enemy as it appears. It never ooccurred to me how I was pronouncing them differently (and incorrectly).

As far as Doom goes, I think the majority of people would pronounce it as "ark-vile", even if it is incorrect. Doomers I have spoken to have pronounced it as such.

GreyGhost said:

The cybie in that title picture is from a limited production run on April Fools Day 1995, they're rarely encountered in the game. In truth - I don't know why the image was flipped.

It worked better that way because most people read from left to right.

Anyway. Arch-Vile, Arch angel.
I've heard people pronounce Arch angel both Ark and Arch. So I suppose it's "potaeto potaato".

Lüt said:

O_o

No other meaning in my statement, sorry. It's just that Doom is not Lord of the Rings or something like that to get stuff like pronunciation rules. So Arch-Vile is pronounced with Artsh because it's just that way how most (non-)English speakers would say.

that one is a tricky one. I usually say MANcubus but sometimes ill say it so fast it comes out as Mackubus

Arch as in Artsh.

MANcubus. I don't think I have ever removed the n from mancubus.

Neither have I. Sometimes I pronounce it MINcubus is I say it fast.

Technician said:

I say arch myself. Here's one. MANcubus or MACKubus. I hear people say it both ways.

Comes out more like MANGcubus when I say it.

Gez said:

Arch as ark or as artsh? Artsh-Vile, quite clearly. :P

antidisestablishmentarianism
cumquat = cumquat
cacodemon = cac-code-mon
arch enemy = arch enemy
BFG 9000 = BFG 9000
Phobos Anomaly = sounds sexy
Commander Keen = very win
impse = imps (very short 's')
pygidium = pygidium (soft 'g')
spawning vats = spoken quickly
Baron of Hell = matter of factly
Deimos Lab = Dijh-amos Lab (I thought it was Deemos Lab)
Halls of the Damned = And on your left is the wonderful "Halls of the Damned"
Holographic Universe = Hallowgraphic Universe.
Deimos Anomaly = like it was one word.
Arachnotron = Arachnatrin (very unemphasized on the last syllable)
Mancubus = Mancubus
I'll swallow your soul! = slightly melancholic
Heavy Weapon Dude = I don't think he's from California...
Invulnerability Sphere = Invulnerability Spherr
Degreelessness mode off = Degreelessness-node-off (don't ask me why it makes 'm' into 'n'
Corucsant Imperial Palace = Kòrruskant Imperial Palace
Lovers Lane = Lovers Lane
Gatlin Gun = Gatlin Gun
Revenant = Revenant
Hans Grosse = Hans Grawss
Baphomet = Baphomet
Oremor Nhoj, em llik tsum uoy emag eht niw ot = not what the boss says at the beginning of Icon of Sin.
The Chasm = The kazum

I took a Linguistics class last semester. Was a lot of fun. You learn the International Alphabet. Mancubus actually = mangkjub, upside down e, s

Time to play Sewers.wad from Xbox Doom E1M10.

Arch Vile and MANcubus.

I've known people who have pronounced arch as ark, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the MACKubus pronunciation.

I know a guy that reads "virile" as "vay-rayle", as in "viral".

Perhaps he mixed up virility with virality, like these guys here.