Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MmM

The Head of John Romero

I started sculpting this Sunday night.

This is a reference photo I took of my ugly mug to help me get the profile view right for a face contorted into a painful scream (and, yes, I need to shave):

This is what I got done Sunday. Pretty happy with everything up to this point except that the ears are way too big.

More progress I made this morning. In addition to getting most of the base done I tinkered with the head some more as well. I was thinking of doing rooted hair, but I haven't the foggiest idea where my ziplock of black doll hair went, so I guess I'll be sculpting it.

I don't get it, your head is the head of John Romero?

anyway very interesting project. for some reason I sometimes imagine a female version of the icon of sin with Raluca's head on a stick.

Shapeless: No, my head isn't the head of John Romero--I needed a visual reference for how a head looks screaming from the side--the DOOM II sprite is only a front view. Instead of just making it up, I took a photo of myself to work from.

Lord_Z: You didn't have to wait long . . . :D

Yeah, that's surely the revenant that stands in front of the boss head in level 30 on Ultra-Violence skill.

Shapeless/exp(x): I was thinking about sending it to Romero, but didn't know if I should. Since you guys think I ought to, I just sent him an email with the finished photos. Hopefully he likes it!

Nebula-Kristian/myk: Yeah, Mr. Revenant gets around--most likely he just thinks standing next to John's head will help him pick up undead chicks.

Well the revenant surely should get all the attention he needs in hell from undead chicks because he has his famous red pants on :D :D

PS. I'm sure Romero will like it!

I want this lol.

Totally good idea of using your own head for a referance, the finished result turned out awesome. It looks so damn epic. Also the one pic with the revenant made me chuckle.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Well, John Romero put the photo collage up in the fan art gallery on his site, which can be found here:

http://romero.smugmug.com/gallery/138843_Q3h7B#5085167_egnUa

Creaphis: All joking aside, while I don't consider it articulation per se, the head can rotate around the pole it's stuck on. I don't know that there'd be a whole lot more that one could do with a decapitated head. You could make the jaws and eyes open/close, and maybe the hair move, but the design is fairly limited in that respect.

They don't seem to allow hotlinking in Fortunecity.

Awesome Stuff. Nothing beats the sight of a screaming Romero head on a stick.

Outstanding work, MmM! Definitely one of your best so far. The painting is excellent, really in-line with the original Doom palette. The gibs at the base of the stake impressed me as well, very professional looking.

The final product looks nice, but I'm glad you took in-progress pictures because I think this and this collage are by far the creepiest/most repulsive versions (in a good way of course).

The unpainted one reminds me of the Alien androids, which were all white under their skin.

Thanks for the additional comments, guys. I don't know why, but I frequently get comments from people who like my stuff better unpainted/unfinished--I guess people dig that whole crispy fried look or something.

Believe it or not, one of Romero's current co-workers e-mailed me the other day inquiring if I was interested in selling it to him. :D

MmM said:

Believe it or not, one of Romero's current co-workers e-mailed me the other day inquiring if I was interested in selling it to him. :D

Niiice. Remind him that it's a MmM original 1 of 1, so it's going to cost him dearly lol.