Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mik57

Power Station 10-7 playtest

Alright, I've been making this level for about 1 month now between my other projects, and I wanted to see if it was likeable. I'm not quite done with it yet (It ends after you get the blue key).

Sorry about not having any screenshots, my laptop is being a bastard about uploading images.

Here it be:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ou0d6r

Enjoy.

Requires zdoom or skulltag.

I don't normally use jump/crouch/mouselook and assume it requires that (if not I couldn't figure out how to pass the first room).

Yup. That, and a few other things, are why a newer sourceport is needed. I tested it in skulltag.

Mik57 said:

or any other modern sourceport.

Not so, since you have behaviour and scripts lumps in the wad. AFAIK these are zdoom/skulltag specific. Also animdefs and textures between tx_start and tx_end markers only work on some modern source ports.

So best to say that this wad is for zdoom/skulltag only.

Well, to be honest, I didn't really know there were any other modern sourceports than zdoom/gzdoom and skulltag.

So, anything about the level, or are people going to keep telling me about what sourceport its for?

Hey there. Had a play through most of the level.

really liked the concept, and for the most part the gameplay was a lot of fun. I haven't finished the level yet, got stuck in the warehouse with all the crates in it (At the back there is a room with an archvile and a pile of revenants.) I ran out of chaingun ammo and rockets, and I had neither shotgun or plasma weapons, for which I had a lot of ammo. And you cant really go fisticuffs with a room full of revenants and an archvile. You might wanna put a few rockets inside that room, so people don't get stuck. I killed loads of revenants with the chaingun, had already used up my rockets fighting earlier with the cyberdemon and various barons. (And I made virtually everything infight as much as I could)

-In terms of architecture, could use some more detailing. There were lots of huge, plain areas that looked dull when set against a lot of the areas/buildings that were really well detailed.

-Lots of misaligned textures. For example, in that crate warehouse, there was a number of times where one side of a crate would be grey, and the other side would be that tan colour.

-there was a couple of doortraks that needed unpegging.

-you could possibly give a shotgun earlier (Though perhaps I just missed it)

-those chaingunners in the towers hitscanning long before you can do anything about them some people might find frustrating. Having them there fits the theme tho. Perhaps you could teleport them in after the player has entered the main area.

In all a really good concept and enjoyable gameplay that just needs a little more polish. The overall theme/ layout was really good. It felt like some secret Area 51 style base set out in the middle of nowhere, so the idea of being overrun with demons works really well.

Just a little more refining needed.

I actually tried this level too, and I have to agree with Kyka. I, too could not get out of the warehouse with the crates ... too many archviles, and gave up after that. Regarding the crates, they are not misaligned, it is just the use of the wrong texture.

Well, right after you crouch under the door in the beginning, take a left, go into the door, and the shotgun is in that room. I'm actually surprised you got that far into the map with no shotgun. Plus there is a super shotgun in a secret.

And if you fire the chaingun in small bursts, you can kill the chaingunners in the towers with about 2 well aimed bursts.

This looks fun and hard, now that I figured out the start (I was just unobservant, but I did initially try crouching- just that I was on that little ledge so the crouch wasn't low enough and assumed you needed some other solution like shooting something with mouselook or something). I didn't find a shotgun where you mentioned (zdoom ultraviolence, probably just unobservant again) but its maybe doable without it (or sometimes those top shot-gun-guys shoot eachother off the cliff so you can also occasionally get one that way).

Might be a port difference causing something to be non functional, but now I can't figure out what to do (the red switch (which can be kinda hard to find for someone who doesn't know to look for it) seems to lead to a dead end (zdoom).
you do sorta need mouselook at that part with reverents + a vile (well you can blindly shoot rockets up the stairs with danger of hitting the stairs with splash damage- not that it really matters given I assume its designed with mouselook in mind).
The sky (with fake 'land') is cool.

I think I might have given the red switch a wrong linedef action. And I probably should remove the revenants and archvile and put in some zombies.

Next update of map won't include music, to shorten the download time.