Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Doom/ Doom 2 pop quiz!

This is a closed note, closed book exam. Cheaters will burn in hell.
This exam is of vanilla Doom and Doom2 versions 1.9.

1. The Archvile has built its reputation on reviving dead monsters. However, there is/are one or more dead monster(s) which the Archvile is unable to revive. How many are there? Which one(s)?

2. What percentage of secret levels in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are near perfectly reflectively symmetrical? (ie, you can cover half of the level and the mirror image is roughly the same as the other half of the level)

3. Statistically speaking, assuming your aim is perfect, shooting at the horde of specters on MAP19, The Citadel, up close with a shotgun, on Skill 4, would you be able to kill them all if you didn't have a backpack but you had max ammo? If not, how many would be left standing?
Assume your aim is so good that all shotgun pellets find their target.
HINT: the horde consists of 25 specters.

4. What error did the "Doom II: The Official Strategy Guide" make in its description of the Revenant?

5. On which level in Doom 2 is a specific weapon required in order to complete it?

6. Statistically speaking, (ie. tested many times,) which has the potential to cause the most harm: two boxes of bullets or two energy cells? Explain your reasoning.

7. How many specters are there on Phobos Anomaly on Ultra Violence?

8. Explain a situation in Doom or Doom 2 where two or more monsters that otherwise would be immune to each others' firepower suddenly turn hatred on one another and their melee attack, if they have one, produces damage until death should occureth.

9. Name a non hitscan monster that under normal conditions will attack its own kind.

10. On which level in Doom 2 will only one weapon work in revealing a secret?

11. One of the final levels in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 overall level plan is not symmetrical. What is it called?

12. What is the secret level of Inferno called? Why is it called this? You may use the internet or other sources to answer the second part of this question.

1. 6, Lost soul, Painelemental, Archvile, Spider_Mastermind, Cyberdemon, Spectre, ( i didnt include Icon of sin cause u cant really kill it)

2. if i understand your question right 0%

3. yes but you would have no ammo left

4 i have no idea

5. Map 30 Icon of Sin

6. with the exception of the Baron of hell and Cyberdemon. a box of bullets as it stuns the monster preventing them from attacking, however if there are 4 or more monsters then a cell. as u can only stun one monster at a time. it wont do you any good.

7. 14 i think...

8. my guess would be a pain elemental shooting a lost soul that hit another lost soul accidently. so they start attacking eachother

9 lol im guessing 2 doom marines in a deathmatch game with buckshot turned on. other then that i have no idea.

10. i have no idea my guess is level 10 were you have to shoot a wall to get to a hall that teleports you into a secret little cubby in the Cyberdemon/Baron room.

11. E4M8 i have no idea what its called though

I prolly failed this miserably

1. Archviles cannot revive Spider Masterminds, Cyberdemons, or other Archviles.

2. E2M9 has a symmetrical room, other then that I don't know.

3. All of them.

4. I would know if I had mine with me :(

5. I think there is a map that requires you to shoot a switch with a hitscan weapon to exit it, I forgot which it was.

6. An energy cell only gives 40 cells so I'm sure a box of bullets (200 bullets I think) could do more damage.

7. 10

8. Monsters can kill their own kind when damaged by a barrel destroyed by the other monster.

9. Pain Elemental?

10. Like the other question there are secrets that need hitscan weapons (or fist/chainsaw) required to open a door or whatever.

11. I don't think any of them are symmetrical to begin with?

Thanks for taking the quiz walligag. It was a tough quiz.

I added another bonus open book/note question.

For number 6 I was asking which has more hitpoint reducing potential: an energy cell or a box of bullets. Your response was overcomplicating the question. I PMed you your test results.

walligig said:

( i didnt include Icon of sin cause u cant really kill it)

Incorrect. The Icon of sin can in-fact be killed. The physical icon of sin has a death state that ends the level. If it could be revived or not, however, is debatable, because by the time it finishes its death sequence, the level has already ended.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:BossBrain
Scratch that, it can't be revived. It doesn't have a revive state. It can still be killed however.

why would you use forums to make a pop quiz? The only person actually quizzed is the FPer. From there I get to cheat off of every member who posted in this thread.

This thread failed after the FPer.

JohnnyRancid said:

why would you use forums to make a pop quiz? The only person actually quizzed is the FPer. From there I get to cheat off of every member who posted in this thread.

This thread failed after the FPer.

It's not really like to answer you have to read every other post in the topic, you know. Besides, does it really matter if someone cheats or not, this isn't some sort of a competition for evil supremacy.

With that being said...

1. Cybie, mastermind, arch-viles, lost souls and pain elementals. That's five.

2. 0%

3. Since all pellets no matter what hit a living target, all would die.

4. Never heard of the book.

5. map30

6. Bullets. I'm refraining myself from checking the average damages from wiki, but I'm pretty convinced that a plasma shot doesn't do 25 or more average damage. (a bullet = 10 average damage, 100 bullets = 1000 damage, 40 cells with 25 average damage = 1000 damage)

7. 12?

8. By causing infighting through barrels and then they buttrape each other to death? *shrug*

9. Lost soul

10. No idea

11. That one over there in E4.

12. No idea

Well it's a natural habit on forum pages to adhere to what was said in the topic to stay on task. I couldn't help but glance at other people's answers when they were to readily provided for me.

1. Arch Viles, Cyberdemons, Spider Masterminds, Lost Souls, Pain Elementals, Icons of sin, Commander Keens, and SS Nazi's (I think) Technically any monster can possibly be unrevivable if the monster was dead in the map by default

2. Yeah like I check the automap for every secret I find and take note of the shape of the room. This question is far too specific.

3. I know it takes about two and a half full shotgun shots to kill a spectre. 2.5 shots times 25 spectres is about 62 shotgun shells used. Without a backpack, that would use up my max amount of shotgun shells. 2.5 shots times 20 spectres however, is 50 shells used. So the remaining number of spectres should be 5 that I have left to rough up with my bare hands.

4. [Does not own a Doom 2 Strategy Guide]

5. Map30 I believe, I've never defeated the Icon of Sin without a rocket launcher or IDCLIP.

6. I'm pretty sure a BFG shot will take down more imps than 100 Bullets. So I choose the power cells.

7. I think it was 10.

8. I think it's when one monster blows up a barrel that damages another monster of the same species, the one damaged by the barrel attacks the one who destroyed it, dealing damage between the two species.

9. Lost Souls bite each other.

10. I can't think of any secrets where a weapon refused to work in the event of finding the secret.

11. [Question is unclear.]

12. Warrens. (I'm gonna steal your post. :>) "I think the gray cubbies where all the shotgun guys are are the warrens near the end of the level Warrens which give the level's name. This can also be a clue as to where Daisy the rabbit fits in at the end of Doom and Ultimate DooM. Goomguy found him in one of the cubbies on the secret level Warrens. Doomguy stuffed him in his back pocket but poor little Daisy didn't live long. While battling the Spider Mastermind on Dis, Daisy hopped out of Doomguy's back pocket and slipped through the opening leading back to earth's surface where he was impaled on a stake by an unsympathetic imp."

This is an interesting idea. I swear I did not reference any outside sources or scroll down to see other people's answers before doing this.

1. Spider masterminds, cyberdemons, and other archviles, as well as lost souls and pain elementals which don't leave visible corpses.

2. MAP32 (Grosse) and E2M9 (Fortress of Mystery) are close to being symmetrical, and E4M9 (Fear) is almost totally symmetrical except for some weird little anomaly somewhere. If you are counting these three then that's 50%. (If we leave off E4 then that's 40%.)

3. You could...you would have no shells left afterward though.

4. I have never read this document...so anything I say will be a total guess.

5. The only one I can think of is MAP30 (only the rocket launcher can destroy the Icon of Sin.)

6. I would say two plasma cells, just because in my experience bullets are pretty inefficient, even with a chaingun.

7. I want to say something like 10...

8. It has something to do with one monster hitting a barrel with its attack that explodes and harms the other monster...I don't remember the details and I've only gotten it to happen a couple of times by accident.

9. I have seen lost souls do this with some regularity.

10. I've wracked my brain but nothing is coming to me. I have no answer.

11. E3M8 is nearly but not quite symmetrical. Also, if you count E4 then E4M8 is definitely not symmetrical.

12. It is called "Warrens." I had no idea there was a reason...I will go Google this later.

1. Cyberdemon, Spiderdemon, Lost Soul, Pain Elemental, other Arch Viles (John Romero's head, Barrels and Commander Keen, if you want to count those as enemies). That's at least five.

2. Donno

3. 0%

4. Donno

5. Probably the Icon of Sin with the rocket launcher.

6. Two boxes of bullets. I'm just guessing.

7. Fourteen?

8. Perhaps that glitch that'll cause monsters to fight if one of them destorys the barrel? I don't know if they actually harm each other after that, though.

9. Lost Soul

10. Donno

11. Donno

12. Warrens. I don't know why it's named that.

1 - 5. Cyberdemon, Spiderdemon, Archvile, Pain Elemental and Lost Soul.
2 - 0%
3 - Yes
4 - Memory fails me - can't say without opening the book.
5 - Map30 - rocket launcher
6 - Bullets if you're killing small fry one at a time. Energy cells and a BFG if you want to kill them all at once.
7 - Haven't a clue, usually play HMP.
8 - By detonating a barrel.
9 - Lost soul
10 - Haven't a clue.
11 - E4M8 - can't recall the name right now.
12 - Haven't a clue - I'm terrible with names.

Hellbent said:
1. The Archvile has built its reputation on reviving dead monsters. However, there is/are one or more dead monster(s) which the Archvile is unable to revive. How many are there? Which one(s)?

There are five. Commander Keen, lost soul, arch-vile, cyberdemon, and spiderdemon.

2. What percentage of secret levels in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are reflectively symmetrical?

I think two of five are, one from each game, which makes this 40 percent.

3. Statistically speaking, assuming your aim is perfect, shooting at the horde of specters on MAP19, The Citadel, up close with a shotgun, on Skill 4, would you be able to kill them all if you didn't have a backpack but you had max ammo? If not, how many would be left standing?
Assume your aim is so good that all shotgun pellets find their target.
HINT: the horde consists of 25 specters.

No, because you have two shots per spectre, and you need slightly more than two shots to kill each. A shot inflicts 70 points, and the monsters have 150. We can say two of the spectres would survive your attack, because you'd inflict 3500 points of damage against their 3750 hit points.

4. What error did the "Doom II: The Official Strategy Guide" make in its description of the Revenant?

That they have pants! (I don't have the book and have never read it).

5. On which level in Doom 2 is a specific weapon required in order to complete it?

The rocket launcher is required to complete level 30.

6. Statistically speaking, (ie. tested many times,) which has the potential to cause the most harm: two boxes of bullets or two energy cells? Explain your reasoning.

The two cells have the potential to cause more harm, but it depends on whether the cells are used with a BFG9000 or a plasma gun. On the average two boxes of bullets (100 bullets) inflict 1000 points of damage if each shot hits. A couple of energy cells can inflict much more than that with a BFG, occasionally killing a spiderdemon with one shot (3000 points). A plasma gun firing 40 shots will inflict on the average only 900 points of damage.

7. How many specters are there on Phobos Anomaly on Ultra Violence?

I can't say I've ever counted them, nor have I memorized any charts with monster populations. My guess is twelve.

8. Explain a situation in Doom or Doom 2 where two or more monsters that otherwise would be immune to each others' firepower suddenly become harmed by each others' firepower.

This isn't possible unless we disable the immunity to damage from projectiles from monsters of the same class in DeHackEd.

9. Name a non hitscan monster that under normal conditions will attack its own kind.

Lost soul.

10. On which level in Doom 2 will only one weapon work in finding a secret?

None? Normally, only the SSG offers any advantage in this respect.

11. One of the final levels in Doom and Doom 2 overall level plan is not symmetrical. What is it called?

But that's in The Ultimate DOOM, not DOOM.

12. What is the secret level of Inferno called? Why is it called this? You may use the internet or other sources to answer the second part of this question.

Warrens. The shotgun-guy-crowded area after teleporting suggests crowded living tenements, and the level is mazy, both which fit definitions of the word. We can suppose a more subtle reference to the pic at the end of the game with the two rabbits (one alive, one dead) is also possible.

I won't bother taking all of the quiz mostly because some questions are imprecisely formulated or ambiguous, but nearly everyone failed at the first question for one simple reason: Pain Elementals can be resurrected, even if in one and only one circumstance. The rest is left as an exercise to the reader.

I'll nitpick at the eight question though, no matter how badly phrased it is: other than the case of one monster hitting a barrel (which doesn't really have to do with its specific type of firepower) which will cause its kin to turn against it, the other situation where a monster will be harmed by a type of firepower that normally "wouldn't harm it", is the Archvile.

That is, if you interpreted "wouldn't harm it" as in "it will never deliberately attacked" by another Archvile, but it can be damaged by its own or other archviles' splash damage, though becoming "vulnerable" to something that normally wouldn't even bother it, ever.

Also for question 9: depends what you define as "normal conditions". Spectres and Demons may run after one another by misdirecting bites (rare, but can happen) as well as with any other melee monster. Plus there's always the "idiot setting off a barrel" scenario. In this case however, mancubi and arachnotrons can never get even...

I was gonna do the whole thing, but I think everyone else has covered all but #4 accurately. The guide states that the Revenant "fires slow guided projectiles that are easy to outrun, but always hit on target." That last bit isn't entirely true, since the missiles don't always have their homing effect. (Plus, you can evade the missiles with suitable cover around, so in that instance they wouldn't "always hit on target." :P)

Maes said:

I won't bother taking all of the quiz mostly because some questions are imprecisely formulated or ambiguous, but nearly everyone failed at the first question for one simple reason: Pain Elementals can be resurrected, even if in one and only one circumstance. The rest is left as an exercise to the reader.

whats the one circumstance

Wow, this is turning into an interstesting thread. I love that no one has been able to answer question number 10! :D mwhahahahah. And it's been fun to discover some of you know more than I do about my own questions! I've reworded the following questions to make them more clear and accurate:

Johnny Rancid said:

2. Yeah like I check the automap for every secret I find and take note of the shape of the room. This question is far too specific.

It asks about secret levels not secret rooms.

Johnny Rancid said:

10. I can't think of any secrets where a weapon refused to work in the event of finding the secret.

No, you misunderstood the question. You need a certain weapon in order to get to a secret in one of the Doom 2 levels. Which level requires the specific weapon in order to get to a secret?

Johnny Rancid said:

[Question 11 is unclear.]

Simply put: which end level from Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 is not symmetrical. ie-- the halves of the map do not mirror each other.

Maes said:

Maybe a clue as to what that one circumstance is? Or does anyone know??

People, please make an educated guess about question 4!! What might one naturally infer about this question but would be wrong about?? You may go back and edit the answer you gave to question 4 and put in an educated guess! Thanks.

Vermil said:

If a Pain Elemental is crushed while dying, it turns into a blood puddle that can be resurected by an Arch Vile as a ghost monster because it strangely has resurection states defined for it even though it leaves no corpse.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Ghost_monster

Now THERE'S one self-respecting Doomer that did his homework. I was ready to quote the Archvile "no clipping" bug demo, which occasionally produced a resurrected PE, but Vermil beat me to it.

Maes said:
Also for question 9: depends what you define as "normal conditions". Spectres and Demons may run after one another by misdirecting bites (rare, but can happen) as well as with any other melee monster.

I doubt this, unless you're playing an early version of the game (like v1.2), before the behavior of demons and spectres was modified.

when i said the Bephomat can't die it was true from a certain point of view. ever wander why half the single player wads end with him as a boss. When hes destroyed where exactly is he gonna go. hes just reborn in hell. The only thing our hero can do is stay in hell and keep Bephomat in check for all eternity. i guess thats true with all the monsters though. come to think of it thats an interesting aspect as to why the respawn in nightmare.

Hellbent said:
10. On which level in Doom 2 will only one weapon work in revealing a secret?

I originally thought it was a bit of a trick question, involving the fact that all the weapons in MAP01 are behind secrets, but that doesn't prevent anyone from punching the guys on the lift to death...

A possible clue to others, as I have no idea:

Spoiler

Might it involve use of a rocket launcher to propel one's self into a secret area?

@CODOR: That's actually a really good idea except that the question says it's a level in Doom II. The one you refer to is in Doom.

So I still don't know...

ohhhhhh i think i know what level it is.....

ledaticeht (in true icon style)

i think, there were alot of places on that level that i didnt know how to get too.

ahhh.. I love it I love it. Keep trying guys. And thanks for hiding the "spoiler" CODOR. Admittedly this was one of the last secrets I found and when I found it I was pretty surprised that id would come up with such a method for getting a secret. It seemed to me very unorthodox.

/me grins.

wait it wouldnt happen to be that place on level 12 where the arachnotron is up on that platform in a hallway?

StupidBunny said:

@CODOR: That's actually a really good idea except that the question says it's a level in Doom II. The one you refer to is in Doom.

So I still don't know...

BTW, I can get there without it.

CODOR said:
I originally thought it was a bit of a trick question, involving the fact that all the weapons in MAP01 are behind secrets, but that doesn't prevent anyone from punching the guys on the lift to death...

You don't need to attack to get them, as you can lure the monsters out.