Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bullsquid

Walkway over a walkway.

Ok this might be a bit hard to explain but i am trying to do a remake of an old quake2 map i made a long time ago.

What i want to do is i have a big main room with lava underneath and a walkway around and i want to make the level progress with stairs until you reach a higher point at the map where u walk over a walkway in the same main room but higher up.

Just making a new sector wont do it since it needs to be risen up from the floor and therefore cant be walked under.

To show better what i mean i post screenshot from the quake2 map here and hopefully u can explain what i need to do.

(using doom builder)

Standard Doom cannot make architecture like that.

Some ports support 'Extrafloors' aka '3D floors', including EDGE, Legacy, GZDoom.

People make a 'cheat' for this, but I've never personally done it and don't know exactly how to do it. The basic concept though is to make the 'bridge' just a normal solid platform that immediately rises to bridge-height when you are about to walk over it, and immediately lowers to lava height when you leave the bridge-height area. The illusion just comes from how its textured, and it can probably make buggy gameplay (enemies below the bridge won't be able to walk under it of course).

As an example play map 4 on congestion 1024.

So there is no way to do this in doom builder and make it look like the screenshots? :(
How about floating platforms you can run across then? or is it pretty much the same thing?

You can use DoomBuilder, what they're saying is you'll have to use the editing features of a source port like EDGE/Legacy/GZDoom/etc and play it in one of those ports.

As for floating platforms, remember that HeXen's blue spinning light-bridges. Basically an object up in the air, someone can make a rocky sprite to walk on if they want.

Csonicgo said:

The Eternity Engine is capable of recreating this.

Yes, a single linked portal would be able to pull that off. Or a non-linked one, if you don't care for the player being able to commit suicide by jumping off ;)

Quasar said:

Yes, a single linked portal would be able to pull that off. Or a non-linked one, if you don't care for the player being able to commit suicide by jumping off ;)

Well, technically it'd require a three-portal setup in order to give the upper walkway a walkable floor (as opposed to the two needed for a standard "single" linked-portal setup), though I'm not sure if that was what you meant or not by a single portal setup. Either way, though, it could be done without much trouble. :)