Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SYS

Obese have right to two airline seats

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/081120/canada/canada_us_obesity_1

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Obese people have the right to two seats for the price of one on flights within Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The high court declined to hear an appeal by Canadian airlines of a decision by the Canadian Transportation Agency that people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare.

The airlines had lost an appeal at the Federal Court of Appeal in May and had sought to launch a fresh appeal at the Supreme Court. The court's decision not to hear a new appeal means the one-person-one-fare policy stands.

The appeal had been launched by Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz and WestJet.

I've always thought that it was unfair that a lard-ass twice my weight can get on a plane with no extra cost but if I take myself and some luggage on, I can get charged for excess baggage even though the total weight of me and my luggage is less than the fatty's body weight alone.

This means that I'm being unfairly denied two seats for one ticket because of my paltry weight of 145 pounds. How dare they discriminate against me because of my weight! I'll sue!

Honestly, that lawsuit would make just as much sense.

They just have to change their seats so it's really, really uncomfortable if you're sitting on two at once.

Flight is a transportation mode where weight matters a lot.

Eventually all fat people are going to realize that what they're doing isn't healthy. When this happens, I predict widespread weight loss and the vanishing of the obesity epidemic. People just can't go on living like this. Something has to give or else I don't know what will happen.

This post wasn't sarcastic but as for this sentence I haven't really decided.

I guess this sets a goal for people who are just under the weight limit of having two seats to put on a couple extra pounds. Why would anyone reward this behavior?

Possible solutions - excess baggage charges for body fat, passenger's who are too wide for a standard seat have to bring their own and pay a service charge (per flight) for it's installation and removal.

AndrewB said:

Something has to give or else I don't know what will happen.

When aircraft start breaking-up while taking off we'll know who to blame. I expect the flight attendants will receive some training in the art of balancing their passenger load so aircraft can maintain straight and level flight.

AndrewB said:

Eventually all fat people are going to realize that what they're doing isn't healthy. When this happens, I predict widespread weight loss and the vanishing of the obesity epidemic.

Umm... lol

AndrewB said:

Eventually all fat people are going to realize that what they're doing isn't healthy. When this happens, I predict widespread weight loss and the vanishing of the obesity epidemic. People just can't go on living like this.

You're right, they die of complications.

Which usually ruins the chances of widespread weight loss.

Then I predict increases in junk food advertising and a sudden increase in obesity once again. I doubt the obesity problems would ever be solved, but maybe more minimalised perhaps.

AndrewB said:

Eventually all fat people are going to realize that what they're doing isn't healthy. When this happens, I predict widespread weight loss and the vanishing of the obesity epidemic. People just can't go on living like this. Something has to give or else I don't know what will happen.

Perhaps you're one of the lucky few people who win fights against their unhealthy impulses, which would explain why you seem to think that obese people are obese simply because of a lack of realization (if this post really wasn't sarcastic - as has been said before, it's hard to tell with you). I'm sure that most obese people realize that they would live longer and would feel better if they trimmed down, but long-term conceptualized benefits rarely match the power of our most basic guttural wants, eg. FOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Obesity is a food addiction, made a thousand times harder to beat by the facts:

1) You can't quit "cold turkey." You still need to expose yourself to temptation several times daily, not to mention the vast amount of food advertising and smells you'll be bombarded with.
2) Even if you can completely revolutionize your eating habits, you'll still be fat, probably for a long time. It can be hard to see these benefits you were supposed to get.
3) If you're overweight, it's highly likely that the way your parents transferred their own unhealthy eating practices onto you, which means that core of your brain simply never learned to eat properly, and is as addicted to food as it would be to tobacco if your mom calmed your crying with a trip to flavour country.

As for what "has to give," this can be a fun area of speculative conjecture. The current condition of the world seems to indicate that our standard of living has peaked. We wealthy North Americans have comfortable homes, cars and limitless food, and accidental death is about as unlikely as it can get. However, our existence is hedonistic and careless, and the environment and natural resources can't sustain it for all that much longer. I expect that obesity and the many other symptoms of humanity's weakness will be less prevalent when our standard of living hardens to the point where we simply can't be weak anymore. We'll all have to get back to work, and the fat will get burned off in the process.

"Come along, sir, right this way - no, not in that door, your cabin has its own entrance. Yes, your ticket gets you two seats - don't worry about that. Okay, sir, your seats are right through this door. Interesting observation, sir, it does look a bit like a fuel hatch, now that you mention it. Enjoy your flight!"

Obesity does not necessarily mean:
* That they eat too much
* That they are unhealthy
* That they are lazy
* That they don't exercise

Seriously, not everyone has a choice when it comes to it.

Anyhow, I have no idea how they sit in two seats anyway. Do they take away the arm rest?

MikeRS said:

Anyhow, I have no idea how they sit in two seats anyway. Do they take away the arm rest?

Most of the planes I've been on have folding arm rests, so I'm guessing they just fold it up. What I'm wondering is how they buckle their seats.

MikeRS said:

Obesity does not necessarily mean:
* That they eat too much
* That they are unhealthy
* That they are lazy
* That they don't exercise

Seriously, not everyone has a choice when it comes to it.

When obesity is being discussed, someone always says something like that: that some people don't have a choice. Well, perhaps a slack handful don't but the vast majority do. It's seen as some kind of defense of all the fatties that 1 in a 1000 has a medical condition that makes it very hard for them not to put on weight.

Bottom line, all that bulk - like it or not - did get there via their mouth. They weren't born weighing 300lbs.

The other 999 should learn how to hibernate - as a weight loss regime it works wonders for Grizzlies. :-)

Creaphis said:

Perhaps you're one of the lucky few people who win fights against their unhealthy impulses, which would explain why you seem to think that obese people are obese simply because of a lack of realization (if this post really wasn't sarcastic - as has been said before, it's hard to tell with you). I'm sure that most obese people realize that they would live longer and would feel better if they trimmed down, but long-term conceptualized benefits rarely match the power of our most basic guttural wants, eg. FOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Obesity is a food addiction, made a thousand times harder to beat by the facts:

1) You can't quit "cold turkey." You still need to expose yourself to temptation several times daily, not to mention the vast amount of food advertising and smells you'll be bombarded with.
2) Even if you can completely revolutionize your eating habits, you'll still be fat, probably for a long time. It can be hard to see these benefits you were supposed to get.
3) If you're overweight, it's highly likely that the way your parents transferred their own unhealthy eating practices onto you, which means that core of your brain simply never learned to eat properly, and is as addicted to food as it would be to tobacco if your mom calmed your crying with a trip to flavour country.

As for what "has to give," this can be a fun area of speculative conjecture. The current condition of the world seems to indicate that our standard of living has peaked. We wealthy North Americans have comfortable homes, cars and limitless food, and accidental death is about as unlikely as it can get. However, our existence is hedonistic and careless, and the environment and natural resources can't sustain it for all that much longer. I expect that obesity and the many other symptoms of humanity's weakness will be less prevalent when our standard of living hardens to the point where we simply can't be weak anymore. We'll all have to get back to work, and the fat will get burned off in the process.

I was sarcastic.

Creaphis said:

1) You can't quit "cold turkey."

Can I have my cold turkey and eat it too?

@AndrewB - You sarcasm's to subtle for what's basically a slapstick audience.