Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_user

What wad is this? What's it's status?

About 8-9 months ago I remember reading about a wad, it was a one man project and a reinterpretation of the Plutonia Experiment. I can't remember the name, but there were regular status updates with screenshots until about 5-6 months ago. Was it ever released, was it cancelled, or is it still in progress?

The Dark Plutonia project? I can't remember who was doing it, but the idea was that each map was a speed mapped reinterpretation of the maps in Plutonia. I too, would like to know what happened to it. I searched the forums for the thread but couldn't find it. Too many results.

Found it.

It's by Death-Destiny and it looks like he got pretty far with it.

That's it, I was thinking of Dark Plutonia. It's a shame if it was cancelled, because it looks like there were only 6 maps to go.

So many megawads go dead out there because people run out of ideas and or other things in life (like work) restricts their time. I recall Dutch Devil starting work on a megawad as well but it too is likely to be dead which is a shame if so because he is one of my favourite authors.

But there is Whispers of Satan which will not be cancelled. We are aiming to release it in the first half of next year.

Lizardcommando said:

It's cancelled?! Oh, that sucks. He had about 4 or 5 maps to go.

According to the last status report - the project's not cancelled, it has an indefinite release date. I check the WIP page now and then to see if any progess has been made.

I won't have much hope for the project unless we see a fresh update from DD. As far as I know, he hasn't given any word since certain... things happened.

Given how much of a hard core doomer he is with a prolific output of excellent maps and demos, playing skill, time spent on this forum and knowledge of scripting new monsters and such, I hope he didn't leave for good based on some silly pseudo mutiny conducted by a small minority that doesn't represent everybody (such as me). Just ignore it and come back :)

I guess when you're dealing with fans of a game that involve shooting demons in the face with guns, you're going to get some testosterone fueled hostility between members from time to time.

Mutiny? Lolwut? The guy was a manipulative douchebag behind the scenes, period. There was no mutiny, only a prevention of Death-Destiny from ousting the guy who had done most of the real work.

The completely false list of complaints he had against Mech, which were his supposed reasons for trying to kick him out, (egotism? trying to take over projects for recognition and power? hmm, now who does that sound like?) makes it incredibly obvious. I can't believe anyone seriously thinks D-D was in the right.

Yeah guy caused so much bullshit to take over Claus 1024 that's it's unbelievable! :V well, if you ask me, claus 1024 is way better off with Mech as leader... well fuck D-D, there's WoS and many other cool authors making maps now including me and my dark caliber (yeah, sorry for no screens but i'm quite busy with life! :V). Well, drama has to happen once in a while so we can take popcorn, sit at the "drama whores" place and eat popcorn.

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire or assign blame (not that some lame doom drama is super morally bad or anything, and he basically wrote sorry). I just hope he comes back as it was apparently his major hobby and I enjoy his maps/demos.

my opinion is that it would be incredibly lame to not release dark plutonia. of course, that is just my opinion and i could be wrong...but in this, i don't think so. not releasing dark plutonia because of dumbshit is dumbshit.

Yeah he's done a hell of a lot more than I have. And you guy's still love me right?

Right?

RIGHT!?

Glad I was on vacation when all that shit happened. But really I was out of the loop until like 20mins after reading this and reading the other thread. I knew we needed quality control, but I didn't know about the drama control lol.

gggmork said:

and he basically wrote sorry

Well, his 'apology' was more of a "if I leave forever, will that satisfy your ego, Mechadon?! YOU DID THIS!!!!"

he was overly dramatic and egotistical. too bad he had to be such a retard and leave forever. i hope he checks his damn messages because he asked me for some potential layouts so i threw together 10+ maps i wasnt going to finish and sent it to him.

esselfortium said:

Mutiny? Lolwut? The guy was a manipulative douchebag behind the scenes, period. There was no mutiny, only a prevention of Death-Destiny from ousting the guy who had done most of the real work.

The completely false list of complaints he had against Mech, which were his supposed reasons for trying to kick him out, (egotism? trying to take over projects for recognition and power? hmm, now who does that sound like?) makes it incredibly obvious. I can't believe anyone seriously thinks D-D was in the right.

Okay, because this just had to be dragged up once again, I'm going to make one post on this subject and one post only. This is edited from a private message I sent a while ago, so one Doomworlder may recognize it. I was actually going to keep my controversial opinions under wraps for once, but this thread warrants bringing them to light.

Imagine this hypothetical situation:

Death-Destiny wants the project to be focused on giving everyone a chance, and letting newer mappers be proud of what they make by not shooting everything back to the drawing board. Mechadon, however, doesn't want his trademark palette and textures to be on a project that he considers unworthy, which means that the mapset must be free of blemishes, at the expense of the participating newbies. Death-Destiny won't concede that, so Mechadon hatches this plan:

1) Contribute more and more material to the project until it is fully dependent on my resources.
2) Pester Death-Destiny about changing the project's goals and other matters, and otherwise push all his buttons, until he tries to kick me out.
3) Pull my resources from the project and display a carefully selected snippet of conversation to show what a bad guy Death-Destiny is.
4) Get everyone really worried about the state of the project by showing complete unwillingness to rejoin it.
5) Wait until someone suggests that I lead instead of Death-Destiny, and then appear to begrudgingly accept.
6) Sit back and watch Death-Destiny get shouted off Doomworld.
7) Become the new emperor of 1024, throw away the noob work, and otherwise twist it to my designs, so that it can proudly carry my Mechadon stamp.

I'm not saying that this is how it all went down. But, take another look at the evidence that we used to crucify Death-Destiny. That extreme interpretation, that paints Death-Destiny as the egomaniacal villain, and this extreme interpretation are equally supported by the facts.

Is Death-Destiny in the right? I never said that. Do I think that Mechadon is a bad guy? No. In fact, I agree with his decision that bad maps shouldn't get a free ride - we need to have a few community wad franchises that can be stanchions of quality. But, all I'm saying here is that the evidence does not justify this assassination of Death-Destiny's character and the absolution of Mechadon's.

Where does the truth lie? Somewhere between the two extremes. Death-Destiny and Mechadon both have strong personalities, and both have their egos to stoke.

Creaphis said:

Okay, because this just had to be dragged up once again, I'm going to make one post on this subject and one post only. This is edited from a private message I sent a while ago, so one Doomworlder may recognize it. I was actually going to keep my controversial opinions under wraps for once, but this thread warrants bringing them to light.

Imagine this hypothetical situation:

Death-Destiny wants the project to be focused on giving everyone a chance, and letting newer mappers be proud of what they make by not shooting everything back to the drawing board. Mechadon, however, doesn't want his trademark palette and textures to be on a project that he considers unworthy, which means that the mapset must be free of blemishes, at the expense of the participating newbies. Death-Destiny won't concede that, so Mechadon hatches this plan:

1) Contribute more and more material to the project until it is fully dependent on my resources.
2) Pester Death-Destiny about changing the project's goals and other matters, and otherwise push all his buttons, until he tries to kick me out.
3) Pull my resources from the project and display a carefully selected snippet of conversation to show what a bad guy Death-Destiny is.
4) Get everyone really worried about the state of the project by showing complete unwillingness to rejoin it.
5) Wait until someone suggests that I lead instead of Death-Destiny, and then appear to begrudgingly accept.
6) Sit back and watch Death-Destiny get shouted off Doomworld.
7) Become the new emperor of 1024, throw away the noob work, and otherwise twist it to my designs, so that it can proudly carry my Mechadon stamp.

I'm not saying that this is how it all went down. But, take another look at the evidence that we used to crucify Death-Destiny. That extreme interpretation, that paints Death-Destiny as the egomaniacal villain, and this extreme interpretation are equally supported by the facts.

Is Death-Destiny in the right? I never said that. Do I think that Mechadon is a bad guy? No. In fact, I agree with his decision that bad maps shouldn't get a free ride - we need to have a few community wad franchises that can be stanchions of quality. But, all I'm saying here is that the evidence does not justify this assassination of Death-Destiny's character and the absolution of Mechadon's.

Where does the truth lie? Somewhere between the two extremes. Death-Destiny and Mechadon both have strong personalities, and both have their egos to stoke.

Death-Destiny refused to let Mechadon even look at more than a small handful of maps (conveniently iirc they were all among the better ones) until after the entire debate was over. Mech had no idea there were any quality-control issues until after Death-Destiny had already left. IIRC Mech kept asking him for the maps, and D-D kept making bizarre excuses and trying to put the blame for things on Mech.

As for "carefully selected snippets" of conversation, Mech was intending on also posting a ton of other similar PM logs, but I suggested he not overwhelm people with a ton of posts they're not going to bother reading. If you want the full story I'm sure you could ask him.

I'm not trying to elevate Mechadon's status to an "absolution" or any such thing. I think he's a good guy, but no moreso than before this whole thing happened. I really just haven't seen any evidence, at any point, that showed anything but Death-Destiny being in the wrong, trying to manipulate him and other project leaders (see: CC4) behind the scenes for some sort of power trip.

Creaphis said:

incredibly long argument

Creaphis title said:

I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

I said that I would only write one post because I was expecting hostile, unreasonable replies and I didn't want to let myself be drawn further in. But, thanks Essel for writing an enlightening post that doesn't call anybody a douchebag. I didn't realize that DD's administration of Claus1024 was that bizarre.

The motivation for his actions could be called a power trip, but that makes his motivations seem too one-dimensional - they're more complex than that. Judging by his manipulation of these projects, I would say that he holds what he loves much too tightly.

Kristus: Yeah yeah yeah... I think references to my title have passed "ASK ME" in popularity.

gggmork said:

I hope he didn't leave for good based on some silly pseudo mutiny conducted by a small minority that doesn't represent everybody (such as me).

Of course not, he left for essentially no reason at all aside from his own petty insecurities, which had been made painfully clear in other threads. From my end I saw a handful of average maps and a big mouth, ready to gush over anyone who could elevate his own material on the forums.

I was actually unaware that he quit coming to doomworld. I haven't really been lurking his threads much, but he must have left recently right? Like within this month?

Does this mean the 1024 sequels are dropped?

JohnnyRancid said:

I was actually unaware that he quit coming to doomworld. I haven't really been lurking his threads much, but he must have left recently right? Like within this month?

Does this mean the 1024 sequels are dropped?

Mechadon is leading 1024-2 now, which is being created from the best submissions to the original 1024-2 and 1024-3 (many of which were not usable in their original form) and from new maps that are being created for it now in the new project thread.

So I take it all questions are answered and Dark Plutonia will never see the light of day (pun) because it's stuffed away on Death-Destiny's computer?

JohnnyRancid said:

Yeah he's done a hell of a lot more than I have. And you guy's still love me right?

Right?

RIGHT!?

shut up and make me a sandwich