Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent_Ash

'Mechatron' - overpowered mecha-mod

http://ashigaru-rostov.narod.ru/mods/mtron.zip (2mb, indirect link)

UPDATE: fixed multiplayer compatibility. Also heat is added faster, but cooling system works consistently and also faster. New respawn script gives Mecha armor to every player after respawn in multiplayer game (normally with this mod player would get usual blue armor, which doesn't absorb 100% of damage).

Requires GZDoom 1.1.0 or newer (maybe it works only with 1.1.04, I don't remember)

Original Mecha-mod idea is by WildWeasel, so, thanks a lot to him. As for me, though I wasn't going to work on any mods for a while, I couldn't resist the temptation. The idea seemed too cool.
Most of weapon selecttion and attack sounds, as well as player pain sound and part of the mecha footstep sound are by WildWeasel (his gzmecha resources).
Also he helped me with the HUD picture (thanks a lot!). However, I didn't take his code or anything from mod's "body", so his mod (which he has already released by the moment) and mine have actually very few in common and, I guess, both worth a look.

Sometimes it happens, that some wad, or some place in some wad happens to be hard. Even more - frustrating, annoying. You want to go through it, but you just get mad and you're already tired of attempts. You just want to take something powerful and rip those badasses apart...

As a result of active military and scientific researches UAC released the first prototype of Armored Combat Suit equipped with standalone energy source, heavy armor, forceshield, 5 types of weapons for various combat situations and IILSS (Intellectual Informative & Life Support System): the 'MECHATRON-8000 model M6.06".

The detailed information is contained in story.txt. As for now, I'll explain the most important moments:

- new hud replaces normal hud, fullscreen and alternative hud are still usual
- Mecha is tall and slow. You can jump high, though. Also you can select Retreat Mode (slot 1) in which you can't use weapons but can run fast
- Mecha is invulnerable to radius damage and acid/lava damage, but a direct hit of explosive projectiles still damages it
- Mecha has forceshield - 1000 armor points, this shield absorbs 100% of damage until it's depleted. You can collect shield batteries of different sizes (30 replaces Armor Bonus, 50 replaces Medikit and Rad Suit, 100 replaces Green Armor, 200 replaces Blue Armor and 500 replaces Soulsphere)
- Mecha absorbs about 20% of damage anytime despite of armor amount
- apart from armor you have 100 health (no more), if necessary you can heal yourself with a medipack (10 health replaces Stimpack) and large medipack (100 health replaces Berserk Pack)

Mecha has a voice notification system (voice from Gordon's HEV-suit) which notifies you about your health and warns you in case you are seriously hurt.

Mecha has unique cockpit, 5 weapons and special crosshair which changes to indicate the selected weapon. Cockpit shows full data on level progress, weapons, ammunition, armor, health and heat level.

Heat may prevent you from shooting. If it reaches 100 while you're shooting, weapons get jammed, and you can't start shooting till heat is lower than 80. Chainguns are overheat-protected. The cooling system works pretty quickly, but heat is also added pretty quickly.

You have all the weapons from the very beginning, but you need to find ammo.

Weapons:
1) retreat mode - not a weapon, but uses weapon slot, I described it above
2) double-barrelled lasergun - weak, but accurate and uses no ammo, however may lead to overheating soon
3) dual chainguns - deal weak damage averagely fast, overheat-protected, maximum ammo 1000, firespeed 525 shoots (1050 bullets) per minute; bullets replace doom pistol and chaingun ammo
4) dual double-barrelled blasters - fire fast projectiles, four at a time (two from every gun), deal serious damage, lead to overheating averagely fast, maximum ammo 800, firespeed 525 shots (2100 projectiles) per minute; batteries replace doom shotgun shells
5) flamethrower - deals very serious damage and has great stopping ability, leads to overheating quickly, has limited range and absorbs ammo quickly, maximum ammo 500, firespeed 1050 fireblows per minute (17.5 fireblows per second); gasoline cans replace doom plasma energy cells
6) rapid rocketlauncher - fires rockets with slighly less radius and radius damage than usual doom rockets, but fast (175 shots per minute), can't damage Mecha because of its radius damage protection, maximum ammo 150; boxes of 5 rockets replace doom original rockets and rocket boxes
7) all guns except for laserguns - you lose half of your walking speed and can shoot with all the weapons simultaneously, leads to overheating very quickly

Megasphere is replaced with a Medical Rechargable Automatic Complex which recharges armor and heals the pilot completely.

Invulnerability is replaced with Temporary Indestructable Shield, which is the same as usual invulnerability.

Ammo Pack is replaced with a "pile of ammo", which looks like a pile of ammo of all types and gives you as much as you see in this pile.

Now, help: the game crashes when you quit. You don't lose your saves or anything, but it shows an error message. What is interesting is that if you quit when you have Retreat Mode selected, it doesn't crash. I don't get it, because my weapons are all right.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

I can't post attachments. AFAIK this also means that I can't post screenshots. Or I don't know how.

nub. If there's a will, there's a way.

Yeah, perhaps I don't care about screenshots and don't consider them too necessary. But, kristus, if you don't want to play it, you're free not to. I don't give a damn, actually.

It's pretty neat, but you really got to find a way to fix this nasty crash. Every time I exit a level, the game crashes and I have to ctrl-alt-delete to exit GZDoom.

Can you make this compatible with ST? It'd be nice to play CTF or DM with this.

Lizardcommando said:

It's pretty neat, but you really got to find a way to fix this nasty crash. Every time I exit a level, the game crashes and I have to ctrl-alt-delete to exit GZDoom.

You have to ctrl-alt-del? Man, that's serious. When I exit it crashes but it just shows standard error message, I click 'discard', and everything's OK. Anyway, I just can't get what's wrong... If there was some kind of error in the code, the game would say it, but it works all right. I though it was because of instant weapon switch, but it's not, 'cause with retreat mode selected it exits allright, and it also has instand switch. I've never faced this kind of bug. Could it be because of too big weapon sprites?.. they are 320x240 actually, and retreat mode uses null sprite... I've got to check this.

Vegeta, ST stands for Skulltag? I really don't know. I don't use and can't say if it's compatible. Don't know if it supports SBARINFO at all. Try it, perhaps it works. If it doesn't, I'll think about doing something.

But you can play CTF or DM in GZDoom too. Better get ZDoom Launcher though, 'cause it's a little difficult to set with a command line, and with ZDL it's simple. Only in LAN though, if I'm not mistaken. I played in LAN at home not so long ago, though I didn't try this mod.

ADD:

the bug is not because of weapon sprites, I checked it. That's just nonsense, the weapons are absolutely normal.

Awesome-looking mod.

All this thread needs now is Mechadon to arrive and crack some joke about Lazytron 5000. :P

Jimmy91, thanks.

If there's a sprite artist, I could use some help BTW. I used that Terminator sprite for Mecha, but I'd like chainguns and blasters added to it, or just some other sprite, 'cause I can't draw them and can't find anything suitable.

This is a pretty cool mod. :)

Have you reported the crash over at the Zdoom forum? It crashes reliably for me (no need to ctrl-alt-del, just a normal crash) every time I exit with either Zdoom or GZdoom (latest SVN versions).

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Enjay, I'll report about it. BTW, for me it crashes only when exiting the game, I can exit the level without problems.

Mine does the same.

By The Way, awesome mod!

TomoAlien, thanks :)

I'll try to do something about crashes. Later, 'cause now I'm a little busy.

I reuploaded the file and reduced the heat amount given by using All Guns 3 times, otherwise it was almost useless.

I'm having trouble with the download link, I kept getting the Network Timeout error, and now it's 403'd... D:

Edit: Appears to be working now. Odd.

NixBood, just a bad host of mine. I'm thinkig now about creating a real site in a better place, but have no time for it now.

Update. Mostly for multiplayer compatibility: I played Deus Vult with this mod with my friend in coop, this was really cool.