Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tai

What's the name of the song for Dwango5 Map20?

I've been looking for the name of this song for a while. It's probably one of my favorites from Dwango5.

Does anyone know?

Not sure, but it sounds pretty familiar. Some '80s pop song perhaps.

Tai said:

Damn.

Who was the Dwango5 creator? Aikman, right?

He didn't create any of it, he just ripped a bunch of maps and compiled them into a wad along with some other graphic and midi files, then released it without crediting anybody at all. A good amount of D5 is still kinda shrouded in mystery because of that.

Personally I'm curious about the music for map01, mainly because it's permanently engraved into my brain.

MasterOFDeath said:

He didn't create any of it, he just ripped a bunch of maps and compiled them into a wad along with some other graphic and midi files, then released it without crediting anybody at all. A good amount of D5 is still kinda shrouded in mystery because of that.

And this is the wad that has dominated Doom servers ever since. Memes are fascinating.

MasterOFDeath said:

Personally I'm curious about the music for map01, mainly because it's permanently engraved into my brain.

It's HITFLOOR.MID.

I've uploaded it here:
http://tomoalien.za.pl/Files/HITFLOOR.MID

Because of MidToMus conversion, the Dwango5 version has cut the UFO part.

While we're talking about Dwango5 music, has anybody figured out after all these years what the MIDIs to Maps 11 and 15 are? It's been bugging me for almost a decade since I first played Dwango5.

I already said KuriKai's youtube link was Map 15. It's called "Come Back and Stay" by Paul Young.

Map11's called Starfluxx by Mempheria. The source clamied it was in some game called Gemstorm, a freeware game that's a clone of Boulder Dash. I'll have to play through that game to prove that, though. :D

Anyways, you should be able to search "Mempheria - Starfluxx" without the quotation marks and find the mp3. : )

Texas Libra said:

While we're talking about Dwango5 music, has anybody figured out after all these years what the MIDIs to Maps 11 and 15 are? It's been bugging me for almost a decade since I first played Dwango5.

Sure! : )

http://www.wowpvp.net/vids/map20.mid

i've heard map20 off of a sound blaster 16/awe32 driver cd I think, one of those 'example demo midis' that occasionally appear in 90s wads (like jazzdoom)

RTC_Marine said:

I opened the file in a hex editor and it contains a string:

Music Media Design(206)695-8170

Not really sure if its relevant, something to go by or not

You can see the same thing in Winamp when you click right mouse button on the song on playlist, and then select file info.

Oh god, I know this song. It's some late 80s/early 90s dance techno song. It's right on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember...

Wait...you don't like it? : (

And thanks, RTC. I think that's the original song for Map01! :D

Well, not only did I not find the song it's based on, but I also spent a whole day listening to early 90s techno. What a waste.

Tai said:

Wait...you don't like it? : (

It's catchy, and I spent 8 years trying to find out what that song was, so there's a least of small sense of satisfaction and closure. But, I was expecting it to be something more of an alt-rock song than a soft rock/pop-rock song.

Eh, I guess it's a guilty pleasure song.

Heh, I knew Map14 would be something like that, but not German. : \

As for Map20, I'd figure it'd be jazz if anything, not techno....

Texas Libra said:

Oh God...I so need to cut off my testicles after knowing that.

What, doesn't the fog machine make it bad ass enough for you?

Looks like we need MORE FOG.