Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

Community Chest Series Demos [-complevel 9]

The Green Herring said:

That originally was a legitimate shortcut, but I removed it during compilation. In retrospect, I really should've kept it. :P

I was on the fence about taking it out, in the end we decided to change it. Oh well.

gggmork said:

Here's the 2:46 cc3-30 demo, joshy (since there's spawners I guess max kills is impossible, so just did speed w/ 100% secrets).

Is it really necessary to kill monsters which are spawned on UV-Max?

The Green Herring said:

That originally was a legitimate shortcut, but I removed it during compilation. In retrospect, I really should've kept it. :P

I don't think so, the run is more fun this way, so your decisson was right:-)

Creaphis said:
This makes part of the level unnecessary, removing my ostensible motivation to visit it. What, you expect me to kill the monsters in that part of the level for FUN?

That's often the case anyway, as many levels contain areas with items that are helpful but not essential to complete the level, but it adds playability to the level because it makes to-the-exit and all-kills play-throughs more distinctive. Regardless of the bug, you'd still need to kill all the monsters in the latter type of game. Depending on other aspects of the level the bug may affect all-kills anyway (probably not as much as exit-runs) or not at all.

RjY said:
There's no technical[1] reason why they shouldn't be vanilla-compatible.

That depends on what you mean by compatible. Compatible during recording and playback, or compatible only during playback? They aren't the same thing and the latter could be considered TAS. But in this case, as Grazza pointed out, the problem is moot. Apps such as this one, provide a 180° turn key for Doom and they are explicitly allowed in COMPET-N (which is often used as a standard for Doom demos).

I have a maxdemo for CC3 map 26, "Hybrid Envy". The time is 12:13. The previous best time on the map was Kristian Ronge's 13:4x.

Nice bloody map with some big fights. Some of the early parts of the map can be frustrating, though.

c326-1213.zip

Just like to point out that I'd bet anything that anyone could do WAYYYYYYYY better than I did in the max demos of maps 17 and 25. My runs are pathetic to say the least. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Nice run on map1 Gusta! The long range imps are annoying, before they wandered all over the open space outside the play area, that was messing up 100% kills. To help with max runs I blocked them into relatively closed places so they could be picked off.

I played map19 for UV max, got only one 100% kills exit in 14:59 but I should improve it by minute and half at least before uploading. (I needed 3 tries to reach one annoying secret + made another annoying screw-ups here and there)

This is the furthest failed run I got with that 03 jump:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/n2wmou
I prefer very hard maps where the challenge is beating the map in the first place, rather than repeatedly doing an exact linear memorized sequence perfectly/efficiently.
My player seems relatively slow too, maybe because of no mouse or not using strafe 50 or 'always run' or something; despite doing that jump and skipping the chaingun I arrived at the top of the baron+2imps steps only maybe 4 seconds faster (then died).

Seeing tatsurd's demo inspired me to try a map 17 speedrun. It was a pretty difficult level to run through, as you might expect given all the hitscanners, but I finally managed to make it. I thought the time would be higher somehow. Guess the number of monsters makes this level feel bigger than it actually is.

Without further ado... C317 speed, 1:51.

c317s-151.zip

Oh, Good run.
I also tried UV-Speed after UV-Max, because this had been undone yet. I got just 2 min before going to bed. I would upload it after getting below 2 min, so your time is nice.

About my map 17 UV-Max demo:
Darn, I forgot to take two boxes of rocket. I will retry this map to get below 10 min.

justanotherfool said:

Seeing tatsurd's demo inspired me to try a map 17 speedrun. It was a pretty difficult level to run through, as you might expect given all the hitscanners, but I finally managed to make it. I thought the time would be higher somehow. Guess the number of monsters makes this level feel bigger than it actually is.

Without further ado... C317 speed, 1:51.

Sweet run dude. I counted like 100 spots in that demo where I would have been dead easily. :P Again sweet run man!