Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

US food supply is severely messed up and toxic.

Genetically engineered foods cause cancer, weaken the immune system, thin the stomach's lining, cause a host of other medical problems (Monsanto actually took their own GMO potatoes off the market they were so bad), ruin the US's export economy as other countries ban them, and contanimate organic crops and weeds through cross-pollination. There's about 2000 GMO test sites in PA alone and public isn't allowed to know about it. Puerto Rico is packed with the most test sites and it's really messing up kids' development. I think everything GMO also contains an antibiotic.

http://truefoodnow.org
http://roundupreadynation.com

Bovine Growth Hormone in milk and meat promotes malignant tumor growth and is screwing up the development of kids. Companies that label their milk as being free of growth hormones are required by law to also print the lie that there is no significant difference. Some companies attempted to push through legislation in PA that bans anti-hormone labeling in the first place but fortunately Governor Rendell struck it down.

Most multiple ingredient processed foods are loaded with excitotoxins - free glutamate / monosodium glutamage (MSG) and its many disguised names such as autolyzed yeast extract and anything hydrolized. Also a lot of soaps, shampoos, and lotions, are laced with hydrolized ingredients so people are even absorbing doses through their skin. They excite brain cells to death, weaken the immune system, and cause other health problems.

http://truthinlabeling.org
http://msgmyth.com
http://myspace.com/msgexposed

Artificial colors do chromosomal damage and cause other problems.

http://feingold.org/effects.html

Hydrogenated ingredients contribute to cancer. Palm oil is just plain bad in any form.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is a genetically engineered super sugar that most Americans consume far more of than regular sugar. It has to be processed by the liver and it makes you not feel full so you keep eating. That's what's excitotoxins/free glutamate and artificial sguars also do.

http://westonaprice.org/motherlinda/cornsyrup.html
http://westonaprice.org/modernfood/highfructose.html
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/02/18/FDGS24VKMH1.DTL

American processed soy is terrible for you and 90% of it is GMO so avoid soy ingredients.

http://commondreams.org/archive/2007/10/26/4832

Aspartame is the single most dangerous ingredient in the food market. The news reports that it's safe are lies. I'd avoid any other artificial sugars too.

http://truthessentials.com/government-cover-up/aspartame.html
http://myspace.com/89512277

The high autism rates are most likely caused by the combination of mercury and excitotoxins. Baby food is even loaded with forms of free glutamate. And I advise carefully researching any vaccination and comparing multiple sources of information before getting one. The flu shot is usually really nasty and rarely protects against the correct strain of flu. Merck's HPV vaccine seems even more sinister. Even tetanis vaccines can be severely flawed. Look it up.

Practically any multi-ingredient food from a supermarket is the same bad shit as fast food, even supposed bakery fresh made stuff. We just gotta get more basic ingredients to work with and patronize more small businesses that actually make stuff real natural homemade style. All chains and franchises are horrible. Even a lot of supposed organic products are sick jokes that contain loads of nasty additives that can be made organically (Cascadia Farms is notorious for this). Boycott the corn refiners, that means anything containing corn ingredients unless it's organic or locally grown corn. Try to grow your own stuff, help someone who does, get involved in a co-op, or at least patronize farmers markets and co-ops. Also, don't cook or microwave food or drinks in anything plastic. Dioxin leaches out and it causes cancer. Also, only repeatedly reuse a plastic container if it's recyclable rating is 1 or else dioxin just plain leaches out.

Some more healthy eating information:
http://buylocalpa.org
http://cancerdecisions.com/tips.html
http://cancerstepoutsidethebox.com/p266.html

Try to cut as much as this nasty shit out of your diet as possible and you will see improvement. You should be able to think more clearly, heal faster, and have a stronger immune system.

Or you can believe the warped industry propaganda if you want to put your head in the sand and eventually the dirt:
msgfacts.com/facts/msgfact12.html
hfcsfacts.com

A brain-damaged population busy contending with health problems is easily controlled and has trouble mounting opposition. Chemotherapy is a big business.

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things weird and wonderful
Monsanto made them all

They gave the corn cobs earlobes
They gave the fishies wings
They made my pork chops orange
They made potatoes sing

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things weird and wonderful
Monsanto made them all

Gokuma said:

Aspartame is the single most dangerous ingredient in the food market. The news reports that it's safe are lies. I'd avoid any other artificial sugars too.

http://truthessentials.com/government-cover-up/aspartame.html
http://myspace.com/89512277.

No wonder they often warn you "an excessive consumption may have laxative effects". Because they are shit.

I totally LMAOed at some "dental" chewing gum that, because it contained a bit of calcium, had an RDA of like 20 tablets on the box (regarding calcium). Too bad that this also classified as "excessive consumption" :-D

So once you got your daily calcium, you would also totally tear your guts inside out by making extreme diarrhea dumps that would put the AVGN to shame.

My inclination is to view genetically modified food as a good thing and an important weapon in the battle against world hunger.

Obviously the research needs to be done carefully and responsibly, like with anything.

And unnecessary stuff like aspartame can just GFI. It took me like a day or two to get used to not having sugar added to drinks.

Well, the first post is certainly loaded with bold statements, black and white "facts" and sweeping generalisations backed up by a variety of websites, many of which clearly have an agenda.

exp(x) said:

Why don't you link to some peer-reviews studies instead?

US food supply is severely messed up and toxic.

That's cool. Anything that is relatively new that we didn't already know?

Naked Snake said:

OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

JESUS CHRIST WHAT CAN WE DO

Do what we can to live healthier and have a better quality of life?

Graf Zahl said:
My remedy comes in yellow and orange... :D

The FAQ is calling you.

Lich said:

Fuck that. Too much work. Let's just blame it all on the government and then go to McDonalds.

Craigs said:

Fuck that. Too much work. Let's just blame it all on the government and then go to McDonalds.

Not unless I can have a foam novelty hand and a six pack of Natty Light.

Lich said:

*tries*
Nope, death still imminent.

Well I think most everybody who has some form of diet knows that anything not labelled "organic" is subject to toxins, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, GM "enhancement", etc. - it should follow from the general corporate distrust around here. But I suppose people often don't know the extent, considering the way the manufacturers are sneaking stuff by unlabelled. I remember a while ago when some of those manufacturers were pushing to be able to have essentially anything labelled "organic" so that they could export to countries who still have acceptable food quality standards. Fortunately that legislation got shot down, but a lot are still far from accurate processing reports. Basically, I just figure that the more people screw with stuff, the worse it gets. Always anticipating human stupidity gets me safely through most anything.

It's also worth mentioning the economic manipulation. GMO manufacturers (and other biotech workers) are now allowed to patent life, and these corporations can sue anybody if any of their products somehow find their way into somebody else's crop. I think it was Monsanto that came after some Canadian farmers and had them burn their entire stock because some truck driving by their farm spilled some GMO grain that infected their field without their knowledge, destroying decades of culturing with one greedy swoop. That's probably the biggest threat of all.

this is extremely old news to me. have you read natural cures by kevin trudeau by any chance?

There's a couple books on my to-read list for this kind of material, I think that's one of them. I haven't seen the list since school started though :P

Grazza said:

My inclination is to view genetically modified food as a good thing and an important weapon in the battle against world hunger.

Obviously the research needs to be done carefully and responsibly, like with anything.

Colour me cynical if you like but I suspect lofty ideals such as battling world hunger aren't uppermost in the minds of agribusiness executives - apart from the PR and advertising department heads. GMO's are part of a broader campaign to gain control of the food chain - replacing thousands of heritage varities that have been selectively bred and cultivated for centuries/millennia with a handfull of allegedly superior strains that have been engineered to make farmers dependant on a single source for seed, fertilizer, herbicides (tailor-made for GMO's) and possibly pesticides if they're not at some point engineered into the plants. The end results of this line of R&D are massive profits for whoever controls the seeds, agricultural monocultures and - in the event a crop's blighted - famine on a scale to make the Irish potato famine look like a 12-hour fast.

While they undoubtedly have their own agenda, the NaturalNews.com article on Monsanto's pig patent claim still makes interesting reading and this cartoon caught my eye.

GreyGhost said:

Colour me cynical if you like but I suspect lofty ideals such as battling world hunger aren't uppermost in the minds of agribusiness executives

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Please say it isn't true..........

Seriously tho, interesting article. Sounds like the kind of stunt that Microsoft is trying to pull (may have already pulled it off) by patenting the "functionality" of certain keys like ALT and Ctrl.

GreyGhost said:

Colour me cynical if you like but I suspect lofty ideals such as battling world hunger aren't uppermost in the minds of agribusiness executives

Hard to say about the executives (depends on their background), but I think it is quite likely that lofty ideals are indeed a significant motivation for many of the scientists involved.

I had a damning article that I wanted to cite that would have debunked every one of your claims; unfortunately, it too was also hosted on MySpace, and the author deleted his journal last week after his girlfriend dumped him.

GreyGhost said:

The end results of this line of R&D are massive profits for whoever controls the seeds, agricultural monocultures and - in the event a crop's blighted - famine on a scale to make the Irish potato famine look like a 12-hour fast.

Depopulation anyone?

The rate we are consuming things would make at least 4 earths necessary to keep up with the rate to feed everyone. One earth will only be sufficient for about 2,3 billion people instead of the about 6 billion there is now. I was in a seminar about laser-technology in medicine and other areas of science. There was this really interesting topic about a russian scientist who had found out about and extracted a bio-stimulating frequency of light from the light spectrum and enhanced it, tested on mice to make their oxygen-intake capability better and tested on plants as well which resulted in making the plants grow almost double in size while just emitting that bio-stimulating frequency of light over them. A good result for ending famine? Perhaps, but what would all the big corporate say that make pesticides, GMO food etc.? They had also tested it on sportsmen to see if it had any good natural-doping fx. I dont remember how good it was but it seems it helped them to be more efficient, too.

Is it just me or is just saying that they have an agenda too an incredibly lame cop-out, as if whatever agenda they may have is even remotely near as bad as what they're going against. It's almost as bad as people who say if you don't like it, get out, to avoid actually dealing with issues.

This is why I make most of my food from scratch these days, at least when I can afford it.

Bucket said:

*tries*
Nope, death still imminent.

Whether or not death is imminent is irrelevant to my statement.

Nebula-Kristian said:

The rate we are consuming things would make at least 4 earths necessary to keep up with the rate to feed everyone.

Depends who you mean by "we". Last time I read something about this, if the world population consumed like the "average American" (whatever that may be) we'd already need 12 planets. In the UK we are not quite as bad, but still bad. Apparently if we all consumed like the "average Brit" we'd currently need 4 planets. Neither of these options are particularly viable, or course, seeing as how we only have 1 available. Thank goodness for those people who underconsume so that we can feed our greed.

Oh, and GM, there is loads of intentional misinformation spread about how "harmful" it is in foodstuffs. It suits the anti-GM lobby to have people against GM, even if why those people are against it is a load of bollocks. Often the GM lobbyists are well enough informed but having a bunch of ill-informed people making anti-GM knee-jerk comments suits them and is far better for the anti-GM cause than those people being pro GM.

Yes, there are many reasons to question how suitable certain areas of GM investigation and development are but, in reality, the quality and safety of food is not significantly one of them because there is little evidence to show that the changes made to crops (etc) makes them harmful. Indeed, one of the things that are supposed to be checked is that the crop is not harmful. Why would anyone be trying to develop crops that were harmful knowing that, sooner or later, it would be found out. And, yes, I know that it can, and does, go on - and always has, even before GM.

For examples of some GM crops:
A GM mod to some crops makes them resistant to specific weed killers, allowing the crop to be sprayed to kill weeds but not affect the crop itself. The modification has no impact on the quality of the actual food, but people will object to it because "GM is bad for you". If you object to that crop because it is GM, then it shouldn't be on the basis of GM making the food unsafe, but some other aspect of GM (for example you might not like the principle of people messing with the "blueprint of life").

(Actually, there are two main strains of weed killer that resistance has been developed for and crops are usually modified to be resistant to one, but not the other.)

Another example, and one that is often quoted as to how "unnatural" these experiments are, there was a trial to put certain fish genes into crops. Fish genes in plants - freaky huh? Well, maybe. The reason it was being done was that the fish in question had the ability to stay alive and maintain an acceptable metabolic rate at very low temperatures. The trial was to see if this could be used to give the crops frost resistance. Again, it would have no impact on the actual crop. Whether the trial worked or not, I don't know, but it was certainly being carried out.

Then there are the more bizarre ones such as "glow in the dark pigs". I have seen some "justification" of this, such as it would help farmers find their livestock in the dark LOL, but I personally believe that it was being done "because we can".

And, if you are diabetic, chances are that you are alive because of genetic modification, given that most insulin production these days is from GM bacteria, not from other animals as it used to be. What's more, this insulin is a lot closer to human insulin than previous sources and, therefore, much more effective. And if you are a vegetarian and eat vegetarian cheese, it was probably made using rennet from GM yeast rather than harvested from slaughtered calves' stomachs...

I'm not saying that GM is good. I'm not saying that GM is bad. I'm saying that it is a complicated issue and a simple "GM is bad for you" argument is a massively gross oversimplification of a very difficult and complicated issue - which has health, social, ethical and moral implications.

One thing that is worth remembering and is often quoted: "Once you have let the gene(ie) out of the bottle, you can't get it back in" ie once you have put a GM organism into the environment it is "out there" and you no longer have control of it. Already, many genies have been let out of their bottles. For example, let's revisit the weed-killer resistant crops. If they cross pollinate with wild plants (or just the crops of another farmer), you could then have weed killer resistant weeds. (And, of course, the possibility exists that both strains of weed killer resistance could get into the wild population.)