Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

Slade or Builder?

I just want to see how many people use Doom Builder in comparison with using SLADE.

I, personally, use Slade over Doom Builder. The lack of Vista support and the fact that DB crashes constantly won me over. And, for some reason, I like the way it highlights sectors in 3d mode. It's just overall a lot cleaner IMO.

What do you guys prefer? I guess you can say DeePSea or WadAuthor if you seriously use them.

And, is Slade still in development? Anyone know?

Doombuilder doesn't work in Vista?!?
*starts DB*
News to me. Maybe it only works in 64-bit Vista...?

I have used Doom Builder for a very long time and I will probably continue to use it...until Doom Builder 2 comes out. Then I'll use that instead. :)

Chu said:

I guess you can say DeePSea or WadAuthor if you seriously use them.

Thanks for that cause yeah, Deepsea, I seriously use it.

Dreadopp said:

I have used Doom Builder for a very long time...

Can't really be that long, it's not even that old.

There have been many polls about this already and it looks like this about every time:

1. Doom Builder
2. DeepSea
3. WadAuthor
4. Slade

I'm a DeepSea man myself. It was the only series of editors that gave me a boner.

Slade and DB, depending on what source port I'm editing for. Overall, I have a slight preference for Slade, though.

Why does everyone not use Slade? It has everything Builder has, and some stuff DB2 promises (like applying textures in the backdrop of the editor).

I have used DeepSea, just not in awhile. Can you still purchase the program? Didn't it have a very rudimentary 3d mode?

I do like DB because of the keyboard/mouse shortcuts, takes some time getting used to Slade after using DB but overall I just think it's cleaner.

I used to use Slade for nearly 100% of my mapping, but one day it decided it wanted to crash every 30 seconds from that point on and so I haven't been able to use it much since then. Had to switch over to Doom Builder :(

There are a ton of things in Slade that I really dislike the lack of in Doom Builder, but for the most part I'm used to it. I do still switch into Slade for some things that would just take an excessively long time to do in Doom Builder.

esselfortium said:

There are a ton of things in Slade that I really dislike the lack of in Doom Builder....some things that would just take an excessively long time to do in Doom Builder.

What are these things?

jute gyte said:

What are these things?

Being able to split sectors reliably without having to trace over every single line of all the sectors I want to split, being able to middle-click to snap to the nearest vertex when drawing, togglable sky display in 3d mode...to name just a few.

Doom Builder. SLADE sucks IMO, because i have to draw every sector clockwise, otherwise everything screws up. And it isn't as flexible as Doom Builder.

DeePsea! I used it for all my released wads, yeah! But I'm very interested in Doom Builder 2, when it comes out.

Morpheus said:

Doom Builder. SLADE sucks IMO, because i have to draw every sector clockwise, otherwise everything screws up. And it isn't as flexible as Doom Builder.

Huh? I've never really used Slade 1.x, but in Slade 2 you can draw anything in whichever direction you want, with more freedom in doing so than Doom Builder gives you.

I have used Doom Builder, DeepSea and WadAuthor. Doom Builder is the best in my opinion though WadAuthor was good to me for a time.

On Windows: Doom Builder (Still waiting for db2 though)
On Linux: Slade (Can't stand db through wine, really)

I am using Doom Builder and i am really happy with it. I could install Cygwin(Tool that allows you to run Linux applications on Windows) and try out Slade, but i am too lazy.

Graf Zahl said:

Slade runs natively on Windows. You don't need garbage like cygwin for it.

I didn't know. But anyway, i tried it out and it was confusing.

I've tried using DeepSea and Doom Builder, but I just couldn't get used to them, so I've stuck with WadAuthor. Too bad there's no 3D view mode in WadAuthor. :(

DeePsea for me. It's "rudimentary 3d mode" is a source modified version of Risen3D that isn't particularly rudimentary at all.

Enjay said:

DeePsea for me. It's "rudimentary 3d mode" is a source modified version of Risen3D that isn't particularly rudimentary at all.

I used DeepSea for lump editing only because I don't want to pay
when db is free. It's interesting if you can set it to display
(g)zdoom features on R3Dedit. I admit I have not checked if you can
do this.
I respect the author choice and work but It would be cool it was free or and open source in 2008 for a 15 year old game.

Anyway nevermind, I use db for mapping, Slade is too buggy now and crash often for me moreover on ati card.