Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoommasterTHEBESTONE

Bruisers!?!? Where?

Guys! I know i havent posted in a freaking long time, but i have to say, this topic is a good burst for pointing out in doom 3, THE FREAKING BRUISERS!!!!!!! They are evil, but, where are they? How often do they appear? Not very often... These grusome mouth screen monsters with the gums chomp chomp, i think that they should have put more of these babies in the game! You see like 3-4 of them on all difficulties, 'tis pathetic that nobody would step up and put more bruisers in the game. If anybody agrees with me, Quote me now.

I see... How does that make you feel?
I'm pretty sure the reason you didn't see them too often was because they were so freaking tough.

Yeah, the six or so you run into is fine for me. I wasn't a fan of getting killed in two seconds flat if I was caught off guard, or even if my strafing was off by a centimetre. I love the monster design, but they need to ne nerfed.

TBH, the Doom 3 monsters BADLY lack variety. The vulgars are like Imps, the Trites are like Maggots and other scratching monsters, and the Bruiser is just a cross between Hell Knight and Mancubus (more like Mancubus but hey so what).

They all just seem like they derive from each other.

EDIT: Indeed, bruisers are a bit too low numbered in the whole game. I remember seeing more Mancubi in the end.

Not that they make ANY difference. To me, Bruisers are just Mancubi with different sounds and skin.

You mean like how in the original game there were monsters that either hitscanned, or scratched & threw fireballs?

A Baron was basically just a powered up Imp. He looked totally different, but his behavior was exactly the same.

Then in DOOM 2, Hell Knights are literally just a palette swapped Baron with half the HP.

Arachnotrons are shrunk-down Spiderdemons with plasma instead of a chain-shotgun.

While it may be a bit more obvious in Doom 3 due to the similarity in the monsters' appearances, I don't think they're that much more derivative of each other than monsters in the original game were - nor more than monsters in most other games. Hell, I'm used to series like Castlevania where you see the same damn monster 10 times in different palette swaps just as an excuse to up the monster type count.

printz said:

Not that they make ANY difference. To me, Bruisers are just Mancubi with different sounds and skin.

Not true. Bruisers are much more agile then Mancubi (but therefore the Mancubi have a few more hitpoints).

In general Doom3 has a really good variety of monsters IMO, especially if you compare it to similar games like FEAR, where you fougt the same sort of clone soldier 90% of the time.