Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
signofzeta

Which doom monster makes you laugh when you see it?

For me, it has to be the revenant. Although his missiles are annoying, his wind up punch and the resulting sound, makes me laugh. I think Romero said something, or was it somebody else, that he wanted to make the revenant punch sound as funny as possible?

When I played doom 3 for the first time, the revenant is a monster that I wasn't afraid of when I heard it, because it reminded me of the classic revenant, and it's wind up punches, but alas, the new revenant does not wind up before he punches.

Mancubi used to make me laugh cuz they look so fat and blobby, and make funny sounds ("ummdimawha") and gurgle gratuitously when dying ("bhoooogrlglrglr").

I have to agree that revenants are pretty amusing, but not for the reason you said. I just think they look so spastic and awkward when they do anything; their arm and head movements are so over-exaggerated.

I think I find demons funnier in general, though, just because they look so silly when there's a whole cluster of them running around in circles and getting in each others' way and all that. And then they're not very smart...they seem to zigzag around a lot and even run the wrong way sometimes before they can get to you. And something about their hunchy posture and stupid expression only adds to it.

StupidBunny said:

I have to agree that revenants are pretty amusing, but not for the reason you said. I just think they look so spastic and awkward when they do anything; their arm and head movements are so over-exaggerated.

I think I find demons funnier in general, though, just because they look so silly when there's a whole cluster of them running around in circles and getting in each others' way and all that. And then they're not very smart...they seem to zigzag around a lot and even run the wrong way sometimes before they can get to you. And something about their hunchy posture and stupid expression only adds to it.

Forgot about the pinky demons. Especially with the -fast parameter on, they look like they have rabies or something.

I think the developers actually made the revenant so that everything he does is over exaggerated.

agreed about the revenant, it waggles around when it walks and it looks pretty silly with those pants and the vest or whatever it's wearing.

but the most laughable is the imp in pain state imo, just start punching one without berserk and hear it howl. as well as the cacodemon's death: "brrrrr" and the floating tomato goes splat.

i agree with the infighting, espiecailly with the Cyberdemon. i find it pretty damn hilarious when a cyberdemon is stomping toward your looking like hes about to gun you down then he unexpectingly turns around unleashing a volley of rockets toward another monster that accidently hit him.

A moment that comes back to me was in The Chasm when a cacodemon splattered a zombie dude off one of those ledges using it's melee attack.

I just saw a dream where commander keen was replaced with a scientist similar to the modern Dr Wily, but had black hair and nerdy glasses and killing him ended the level. That made me laugh, particularly because it was in a tiny room together with Romero's head on a stick and all I had was a rocket launcher with 50 rockets.

Seeing lost souls infighting with eachother and other monsters, especially if a pain elemental is stuck in the middle and gets hit by one, then it just turns into lost soul vs. PE lost souls.

Then you see other monsters trying to attack the player behind the wall of souls, so the souls end up attacking it and it just ends up a big mess :P

I laughed once when a marine killed a Cyberdemon.

Me: That must have been some bullet!

:p

What makes me laugh is whenever a monster gets hit when it is almost finished its own firing cycle. Like when a baron is just about to release a big handful of green snot and that green snot flies backwards, away from you and hits another monster, even though the baron is still facing you. 'Specially cool when a cyberdemon does it.

Kyka said:

What makes me laugh is whenever a monster gets hit when it is almost finished its own firing cycle. Like when a baron is just about to release a big handful of green snot and that green snot flies backwards, away from you and hits another monster, even though the baron is still facing you. 'Specially cool when a cyberdemon does it.

What would be cool is to disable archviles' pain frames and then summon a friendly archvile in the middle of a zombie army...archvile russian roulette!

Deeforce said:

The Cacodemon is the funniest enemy I think! It's also my favorite monster.

Yeah, It's sounds are funny. I don't know which ones but, It was said that romero did some Doom's sounds with mouth. :)

I remember when I first played doom the zombie death noises used to make me laugh for some reason. It almost sounded like they were whining when they died.

A funny monster is a dead monster.

No really, many monsters die in a strange way... the baron, for example, with all the guts coming out from the body... ah ah ah... and the caco seems just making a fart

Kyka said:

I laugh whenever I see this, it seems that barons do it the most too. A zombie will shoot the baron by accident, when the baron gets hit, it looks like its doing a trick throw. And ofcourse the zombie has to get gibbed from it.

Seeing monsters get splattered is funny. I remember seing a revenant consecutively splattering 3 former humans one after another, since one would fire at the revenant, get killed, then the other would follow.

Inferno said:

Seeing monsters get splattered is funny. I remember seing a revenant consecutively splattering 3 former humans one after another, since one would fire at the revenant, get killed, then the other would follow.

the stupidity of lesser enemies taking on the big ones, like an imp barely surviving the blast of a cyber's rocket and having nothing better to do than shoot back... *splat*

I think the pinky demon on nightmare mode is pretty hilarious too. there so fast and when they start chasing you its like running from your neighbors bulldog after he snaped his chain.

walligig said:

I think the pinky demon on nightmare mode is pretty hilarious too. there so fast and when they start chasing you its like running from your neighbors bulldog after he snapped his chain.

I like the comparison. Heh.