Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AveryMaurice

Good LAN Games?

Does anyone know any good LAN games (freeware) that are under 30 to 50 MB?

I heard of...

Armagetron
Assualt Cube
Soldat
Enemy Territory
Pocket Tanks
Doom (The Best LAN Game)

Also, does anyone know of any Duke Nukem 3D multiplayer port besides "DukesterX"? Thanks!

leileilol said:

Doom isn't a freeware game

A lot of Zdaemon users have been known to say otherwise.

From what I can think of (even if you might not like it):

Heroes of Might and Magic (1-3) --may need to configure if not working--
Starcraft
Warcraft 3
Toblo (Uhh... Might annoy the hell, but it's a LAN game to play...)
Diablo
Pocket Tanks (as stated above, and IS a LAN)
Most Steam related games

All I can think of.

Well, its hard to think of good freeware games. C&C was mentioned (though I never played it), but Tribes is freeware these days.

As for non-freeware, Quake 2 was awesome back in the day, and Counter-Strike was something I LANed a LOT back in high school. Back when I had a LAN system at home, we played Doom, Total Annihilation, Warcraft 2, a bunch of Half-Life DM and a SHIT TON of Dukematch. Dukematch is one of the most fun games to play DM, seriously. I guess that dates when I actually had that going on, though.

leileilol said:
Doom isn't a freeware game

The engine is free, which is what the page says, unless it's been changed since you posted. But arguably DOOM: Knee-Deep in the Dead is a free first person shooter.

Grand Theft Auto is a good one, if you can get it running.

Mithral_Demon said:

Pocket Tanks (as stated above, and IS a LAN)

Hmm, so it does. When did that get added?

Planky said:

Hmm, so it does. When did that get added?

It was added on 1.3 or the latest version (forgot, kinda lost in the oblivion of my hard drive).

magicsofa said:

Snipes

Holy shit, I haven't played that game since I was like 6. I believe that qualifies as the first game I ever played on a LAN. Did it at my uncle's place of work (he is a computer programmer) with him, my dad, and my cousin.

Snipes looks like Atari, lmao.

What about classic first person shooters like Quake or Doom? Shareware versions of any good multiplayer LAN games with no time limit just map limits or something?

Another good LAN game I was playing earlier was "Worms World Party" as well.

Cube is a freeware game that reminds me of Doom and Quake. Just try it out, it is for multiplayer and singleplayer. Here is a picture of it (type “t /name >your nickname<” to change your name):

Official Cube Description:

Cube is an open source multiplayer and singleplayer first person shooter game built on an entirely new and very unconventional engine. Cube is a landscape-style engine that pretends to be an indoor FPS engine, which combines very high precision dynamic occlusion culling with a form of geometric mipmapping on the whole world for dynamic LOD for configurable fps & graphic detail on most machines. Uses OpenGL & SDL.

leileilol said:

there's the much better Sauerbraten around

Wow, I didn’t know Aardappel released Cube 2! It is better than Cube 1 and there are many people playing it online, but you need at least 350 Mb disc space for it, so I think avery1555 will stay with Cube 1 (35 Mb).

I already play Cube, lol. Its supposed to be a engine rather then a game though, btw.

Saurbauten is pretty cool too but too space consuming for something Ill probably never play.

Danarchy said:

Well, its hard to think of good freeware games. C&C was mentioned (though I never played it), but Tribes is freeware these days.

As for non-freeware, Quake 2 was awesome back in the day, and Counter-Strike was something I LANed a LOT back in high school. Back when I had a LAN system at home, we played Doom, Total Annihilation, Warcraft 2, a bunch of Half-Life DM and a SHIT TON of Dukematch. Dukematch is one of the most fun games to play DM, seriously. I guess that dates when I actually had that going on, though.

those were the games i liked to play on lans, besides doom. duke3d was great. i and a fried cobbled together some dm maps dedicated to an obstinate camper we knew. the guy used to run for the exit whenever he found one, so we designed fake exits that were actually teleporters. they beamed him into a fish tank where he was left to drown while we could gloat over him. obvious camping spots were traps, with remotely activated crushers, built-in explosives and whatever. the dude ended up being chased through his own carefully planted tripmines. i hope that friend still has the maps and maybe even some demos, because i rarely had so much fun playing.

i also enjoyed rtcw and the original unreal tournament, especially in instagib ctf.

There were a couple DM maps I made and I added on to them a little between each time we played them. I had some pretty badass maps on there that we had a lot of fun playing, and IMHO they looked better than a lot of random Dukematch maps you'd find online. Sadly they were lost a long time ago. I remember one was on a space station and had a ton of little rooms off to the side. Another was in a city and had a video store, an arcade, and some alleyways. That one had better flow IIRC, as it didn't have so many dead ends in it.

Planky said:

Grand Theft Auto is a good one,

I second that. Grand Theft Auto 2 more specifically. Lots of cars, and a bigger arsenal. It's a blast.

Vulture said:

Skulltag or Odamex + freedoom.

I heard of ZDaemon and Skulltag, but whats Odamex? Ill go check it out. Odamex works with the original Doom, right?