Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Former forum announcement (Australian Doomers)

Please post here if you would like to be involved in the story about Doom's 15th anniversary. You might want to include some information about what would make you the ideal person to appear in the story. I will direct Manny Tsigas to this thread so he can look over the replies.

Any other questions or concerns can be posted here as well.

I'm in Melbourne, but sure I'll gladly do it

Credentials eh? Well I've been playing Doom since early 1994, I've made plenty of maps since late 1994, some of which have been used in deathmatch tournaments and leagues, I reviewed /newstuff for years, I'm a staff member of Odamex, I've been a tournament administrator and a forum moderator for ZDaemon for years, I've been a moderator for Doom Connector, I have a lot of knowledge of the Doom engine quirks and a good portion of the history of the Doom community. Despite the fact that real life commitments have bogged me down this year, deep down I'm still passionate about Doom.

Don't like Doom 3 though.

If you want my email address or my mobile number, I'll pass them on to Bloodshedder.

I'll be looking forward to see Deathz0r on Australian television, I'll say to my family, I'm on the same forums as him!! :P

This isn't exactly what I expected... while I do think deathz0r would be a great choice, can he travel the roughly 500 miles or so?

I guess what I'm trying to say is let's not just leave it at that - anyone else who would like to speak up is free to do so.

Bloodshedder said:

This isn't exactly what I expected... while I do think deathz0r would be a great choice, can he travel the roughly 500 miles or so?

Not on short notice, mainly because I don't have the money at the moment to travel

However, I would assume the Melbourne office of SBS is equipped to do a video link if that's what is required, and it's an extremely easy office to find in Melbourne so I wouldn't have trouble getting there

I think Ajapted's in Tasmania - which brings us back to the tyranny of distance. I'm on that rocky little island and don't consider myself qualified to be the public face of Doom in Oz.

Is Tasmania-Sydney really a more difficult journey than Melbourne-Sydney? Jetstar have some dirt cheap flights. (I know because I'm flying Launceston-Sydney in January.)

Anyway, where is B.P.R.D? He'd provide a very interesting perspective on things, I'm sure. He's Sydney-based according to his profile. I've e-mailed him on the addresses I have, pointing him towards this thread.

How much would a round trip cost? I wouldn't mind sparing 20 bucks or so to help fly him there.

Grazza said:

Anyway, where is B.P.R.D? He'd provide a very interesting perspective on things, I'm sure. He's Sydney-based according to his profile. I've e-mailed him on the addresses I have, pointing him towards this thread.

Another good candidate, but it seems he's rather sparse nowadays. It might be too short of a notice.

A return trip from Melbourne to Sydney via plane should cost around $100-150 in Australian dollars roughly. Prices varies a lot, it could even cost around $70 at certain times.

GreyGhost said:

I think Ajapted's in Tasmania - which brings us back to the tyranny of distance. I'm on that rocky little island and don't consider myself qualified to be the public face of Doom in Oz.

Same here, in Tassie and not qualified.

Another Australian here. I would have loved to have done an interview. But since I'm from Tasmania it aint that easy. I'm happy enough to have my own say about Doom in an article though, or an interview via email. Just email me and I'll get back to you about the possibility of writing an article. But I'll have my quick say anyway.

I think in my 13 years in front of the grid (in the level editor), WAD making has been a great hobby and pleasure for myself. Despite newer more hi-tech games, the ancient Doom engine will still live on for many more years. Its the easiest and most simple to edit and will benefit many more games for years to come. Over all the years with the thousands of releases, we've seen legendary, we've seen good, bad and ugly. We've seen downright bizzare addons. A huge thanks to the [id] crew in Texas for developing such a great game and others. It wouldn't have been possible without the likes of Carmack, American, Sandy, Romero, Willits, Tom Hall, Shawn Green, Dr Sleep and others.

From Perth, Western Australia here.

Dooming since '94, online for 3.5 years. Numerous .WAD releases, member of Team Future (under the name Homer). I'm mostly interested in source port development these days from the upcoming Chocolate Hexen/Heretic to Doomsday beta6 and the next jDRP. I think Doom 3 was fine too. :p

GreyGhost said:

If he's another Tassie I'll scream.

Seems to have more Doomers per square mile than anywhere else on Earth, heh.

DooMAD said:

Seems to have more Doomers per square mile than anywhere else on Earth, heh.

I'd guess Prague has that honour.

GreyGhost said:
We haven't heard from Captain Red yet. If he's another Tassie I'll scream.

Sorry lads, I was on holiday. Alas, while I'm not a Tassie mutant, I hail from far away Brisbane and simply lack the means to attend :(

No doubt too late now, but I'm an Aussie Doomer. Brisbane based though. The only real advantage I have over deathz0r is that I have a job in the games industry, but I vote for him to do the interview anyway.

Shouldn't we get someone to record the interview so that we can put it in the 2008 cacoawards? This seems like a pretty big thing and it just seems right that we should have a video or something to remember it by.